Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Polycom Modules

All,

I have, in the last year, used 3 different methods of controlling Polycom VSX Codecs:

1) Straight strings to the Polycom from code;

2) The AMX NetLinx Module;

3) The AMX Duet Module.

Each way has it's strengths and weaknesses for me (which I'll not get into detail here unless I'm asked to elaborate). But I'm curious if there are others that have grown to prefer one method over another? And if so why?

I'm starting to grow accustomed to the Duet Module. I like the channel responses and control (works very well most of the time). But it does suffer in that it is sometimes slow to respond (Especially when making more that 2 Virtual Duet Devices), and Duet code in general takes its time to load, startup, and sometimes it just lags for a few seconds.... Also, as much as I hate to have to deal with Polycom's Telephone Interface for POTS calls on the VSX, sometimes I must. And the Duet module is lacking in this area. So I find myself monitoring the responses from the device for cues in code.

Since I use so many of these devices, I was curious what people think. And how they are dealing with challenges in the code.

Thank you.

Comments

• sethollesetholle Posts: 66
    Polycom Duet modules

I have found the module, huge rather difficult to use. And since the regular serial communication is so simple and so reliable, i don't even bother with the duet module.
    Just easier to do it the old school way. Much clearer for feedback, I find with the duet module my feedback gets lost somewhere in java land.
    Seth
    AMX Programmer
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    I as well tried using the Duet modules for a while and was happy with them at first, but lately I've been doing everything via IP communication. Same protocol as serial, and I've been pretty happy with it. I really appreciate having more direct control than the modules allow me on polycom stuff
    J
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    Jeff wrote:
    I as well tried using the Duet modules for a while and was happy with them at first, but lately I've been doing everything via IP communication. Same protocol as serial, and I've been pretty happy with it. I really appreciate having more direct control than the modules allow me on polycom stuff
    J

Actually my first Polycom was Via IP. It was done with straight strings directly to the Codec, and it was pretty painless after I learned 2 things:

1) ALWAYS Use port 24 withe Polycom IP connections (It's just like sending the telnet commands but without the exhaustive information returned from the Polycom)

and

2) DO NOT agree to integrate an old View Station ES! It has a very limited command set and if you are doing remote emulation, getting information on which screen you are currently on is vital but difficult to gather from the limited command set. (Ha ha) Always tell the client to upgrade.

I agree that straight code to the Polycom works well.... But I really like the Channel functionality in the Duet Module for camera movement for near and Far end. And the Channels used as indicators are a nice feature as well.

I just wish the Module had more straight forward ways to deal with dialing and speed. But it's still ok.
  • I like the duet module and very please with it. But when the system start up is quite slow.
    Besides, the phonebook is tremendous. it is absolutely gorgeous. Somehow soem data may got lost somewhere indeed.