Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Lutron Interactive Communication Failure

I am having trouble with a Lutron interactive processor integration. I have done many illumination projects and have never run into the following problem.

After a period of time, this could be 5 minutes or 48 hours, I lose all communications with the Lutron processor. I have tried loading the module by itself in the NI3000 and I still will lose communications over a period of time. I am using a baud rate of 38400, and handshaking is turned off in the Lutron processor. I am using a DB9 cable that only has pins 2-3-5 connected. I have also tried using different ports on the NI.

Once I lose communications through the module to the Lutron processor I have tried sending a string directly to the processor and only get a TX led on the NI. The lutron processor will not respond to commands at that point.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Lutron HomeWorksInteractive

Hello,

I am assuming that you are developing your own module to control the Lutron HWI P5 processor since there is talk about a RS232 connection to the Lutron. AMX does not have any modules that control the Lutron HWI P5 processor via RS232.
    In order to get an idea of what could be wrong, provide the following:

1.) Are you using a HWI P5 processor or something else?
    2.) Are you developing in NetLinx or Java/Duet?
    3.) Are you polling the device? If so, how often?
    4.) Once you lose communications with the Lutron, how do you regain communications?
    5.) Have you tried opening a TELNET session to your AMX master. Simply use your favorite emulator (HyperTerm, TELNET, etc...) and at the prompt type "msg on" w/o the quotes. Try following the log messages. It may also be a good idea to have your own debug log messages w/in your program.
    6.) Give any other details that you think may help and that have not been mentioned above
  • tom goeztom goez Posts: 75
    Lutron Interactive Communication Failure

Can you slow the baud rate down to 9600? Maybe the handshaking is not actually off in the Lutron. Guess you could try to jumper pins 7-8 in the Lutron to force data to be sent. Some of the commercial Lutron units are hardware handshake only.

Make sure you have the latest firmware in the NI3000. I seem to remember that they did have some problems with serial ports, like overflow problems, etc. Maybe someone else chan chime in here about that.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    phiberoptiks wrote:
    After a period of time, this could be 5 minutes or 48 hours, I lose all communications with the Lutron processor.
    Deos this coincide with a power interruption or rebootng of the HomeWorks? What do you have to do to regain communicatioins? Do you have a serial driver sep uo in HomeWorks for your comms to AMX?

ck.nina wrote:
    AMX does not have any modules that control the Lutron HWI P5 processor via RS232.
    The HWI standard Netlinx module works with P5 processors. I don't recall any differences in the RS232 comm protocols. I kow I didn't care for the module but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care for the Duet module either.

I'm still using RS232 to communicate with HomeWorks although I can change to IP any time I want, there's just something about a dedicated hardwired connection that nothing else is on that I like and there's low traffic so RS232 is fine.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Homeworks IP is extremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in favor of RS-232 ... and, in fact, I don't.

I can't say I've seen this problem though ... it almost seems like a handshaking issue, if not for the fact that you said you have it turned off. You can't rule out a bad Homeworks port though.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    To echo what vining said I would make sure that you have a serial driver setup for RS-232 port you've got connected to the Netlinx. If you don't it's likely every time you upload the Lutron program you'll lose connectivity.
  • Once I lose communications through the module to the Lutron processor I have tried sending a string directly to the processor and only get a TX led on the NI. The lutron processor will not respond to commands at that point.

If you reset the NI-3000 does the lighting work after the reset (i.e. is the Lutron processor locking up, or the AMX)? If the Lutron is locking up then I would say that is a good place to start, maybe lowering the baud as mentioned previously. I am not sure if the Duet module works with interactive, but I would advise against using it anyhow, it is just way to bloated. All you are looking to do is press keypad buttons and get feedback on that button, who cares about all of the other junk (IMHO).

Nick P
  • I have a similar issue running IP. Never a problem before. The controller is an NI-3100, which is actually getting RA'ed for a possibly separate reason, but I suspect (and hope) it is related (battery problem).

I will update thread when I have new controller in.

Bill
  • adysadys Posts: 395
    For the IP duet module add this code to reconnect:

CHANNEL_EVENT[vdvLights,252]
    {
    OFF:
    {

send_command vdvLights,"'REINIT'"
    send_string 0:0:0,"'REINIT SEND'"
    }
    ON:
    {