Home AMX User Forum Duet/Cafe Duet
Options

HTTPS access ?

Hi,

As I never used Duet before, I would need advice from someone who did. Is it possible to use Duet in NetLinx controllers to do an authentification on a website that is in HTTPS ?

I can do all other communications with that website in http, so able to do it in conventional netlinx code, but not https ! So is it possible to do that with Java in masters ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Vinc

Comments

• Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    The only trace of SSL is in the com.mocana.core package. It's a Java wrapper to native functions. I don't see any documentation, but it looks pretty straight forward.

core.jar -> com.mocana.core

There are also plenty of open source Java SSL solutions that would run on J2ME.
  • Options
    joelw wrote:
    The only trace of SSL is in the com.mocana.core package. It's a Java wrapper to native functions. I don't see any documentation, but it looks pretty straight forward.

core.jar -> com.mocana.core

There are also plenty of open source Java SSL solutions that would run on J2ME.

From a test I just made with mocana I get the following error:

com.mocana.core.MocanaException: connect() not applicable to Mocana SSL server-side sockets

I have an RFI into engineering on this. But if Mocana only applies to server-side sockets, then this would not be great news.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    joelw wrote:
    From a test I just made with mocana I get the following error:
    com.mocana.core.MocanaException: connect() not applicable to Mocana SSL server-side sockets
    I have an RFI into engineering on this. But if Mocana only applies to server-side sockets, then this would not be great news.

Thanks Joel for details, so it confirms it's impossible to connect as a client to a https server from NetLinx master as of now :(

Vinc
  • Options
    I'm still waiting on the Engineering RFI. So there may be something I'm missing.

It's quite possible to implement your own SSL layer. Something I will look into depending on the response from the Engineering team.
  • Options
    joelw wrote:
    I'm still waiting on the Engineering RFI. So there may be something I'm missing.

oky, please keep us updated when you get news back from Engineering ;)
    joelw wrote:
    It's quite possible to implement your own SSL layer. Something I will look into depending on the response from the Engineering team.

Well I would be happy to help you with that but it'll be a big job to do as it's pretty complex the cypher protocol used in SSL and I'm not sure master is able to manage that through netlinx programmation :/

Vinc
  • Options
    Update

I just got the response:

As of right now, there is no method for Java code to initiate a secure
    socket connection (SSL/HTTPS) to an outside location.

There apparently has been some work done on this, but no clear date for a potential release. In other words it's low on the priority list.

Vonage integration will just have to wait...
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Along with MS Messenger integration...

Good thing - I haven't gotten through those "Java for idiots" books yet.

- Chip
  • Options
    joelw wrote:
    I just got the response:
    As of right now, there is no method for Java code to initiate a secure
    socket connection (SSL/HTTPS) to an outside location.

There apparently has been some work done on this, but no clear date for a potential release. In other words it's low on the priority list.

Thanks for the update, so only way for now to access SSL web site is to pass through a proxy :(

Vinc
  • Options
    vincen wrote:
    Thanks for the update, so only way for now to access SSL web site is to pass through a proxy :(

I suspect the com.mocana.core.Ssl class in core.jar is a crude wrapper to their C API.

My educated understanding is they didn't port their Mocana SSL stack to the Java CDC Foundation profile. They got a crude variation for their web server, and that was it. What they need to do is finish porting SSL to their Java implementation. It sure seems this would have been a priority from the start.

Perhaps it was for performance reasons. I have no plans to implement my own webserver in Java, so Java SSL performance is not a paramount concern.

Perhaps someone from marketing would like to comment on this?