Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Pulling an Intact Workspace Off a Master

I don't think this is possible, but is there any way to pull an entire Workspace or project off of a Master intact if the original Workspace code was lost?

I know you can use the File Transfer tool to get the main source code and include files if it was included in the upload process. Similarly, you can FTP into a Master and find the PROG.TKO and PROG.ZIP (the compiled program and the same file archive of source code you'd get when retrieving the source via the File Transfer tool) respectively.

However, I do not see any .apw, module or IR files that are called from the source code.

I realize I can rebuild the Workspace with a little effort if I can find the module and IR files used, but retrieving an entire archive of everything would obviously be easier.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    nherc wrote:
    I don't think this is possible, but is there any way to pull an entire Workspace or project off of a Master intact if the original Workspace code was lost?

I know you can use the File Transfer tool to get the main source code and include files if it was included in the upload process. Similarly, you can FTP into a Master and find the PROG.TKO and PROG.ZIP (the compiled program and the same file archive of source code you'd get when retrieving the source via the File Transfer tool) respectively.

However, I do not see any .apw, module or IR files that are called from the source code.

I realize I can rebuild the Workspace with a little effort if I can find the module and IR files used, but retrieving an entire archive of everything would obviously be easier.

I don't think you can. It is possible for the previous programmer to manually store the entire Project on the master. (FTP to the RAM disk) Otherwise, I'd say all signs point to 'no'
  • Options
    nhercnherc Posts: 34
    ericmedley wrote:
    I don't think you can. It is possible for the previous programmer to manually store the entire Project on the master. (FTP to the RAM disk) Otherwise, I'd say all signs point to 'no'

You mean manually zipping up their workspace archive, FTP'ing into the master and uploading it? Or is there some automatic function in Netlinx to do this?

Can you think of anything else that might be missing besides any modules or IR files, which I should be able to find and relink into a rebuilt workspace?
  • Options
    AvophileAvophile Posts: 70
    Just to clarify, and I apologize if this is a hijack, but can you not pull IR or module files off a master, even if the source has been loaded in non-compiled form?

In many cases the source code will not work if the relevant IR and module files are unavailable.

Can you pull these other files off the master if they are specifically loaded in non-compiled form as attachments or included in the workspace under the "Other" folder?

Or is that not possible either?

If not, what is the best way to archive these other files for use by installers or other people servicing a system you program?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    nherc wrote:
    You mean manually zipping up their workspace archive, FTP'ing into the master and uploading it? Or is there some automatic function in Netlinx to do this?

Can you think of anything else that might be missing besides any modules or IR files, which I should be able to find and relink into a rebuilt workspace?
    No, there isn't anything that does it automatically to my knowledge. It must be done by hand. (so to speak)

...and concerning the IR files, yes they can be downloaded easily. Just go to the file transfer section of NS and you'll see the whole deal about recieving a file.

However, here again, you'll have to rebuild the project yourself from those downloaded files.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    On the newer firmware if you ftp into the master the IR files show up in the root directory as well. I find it a little easier then the receive file dialog stuff.
  • Options
    "Export Workspace Files To Go" option

In NS2, under the "Project" menu, there is an "Export Workspace Files To Go..." option. This will package all your source files, IRL/IRV, TP4, etc. files into one .AXW file.

If you want to revisit this workspace, just select the "Import from Exported Workspace..." option under the "Project" menu.

And if you just want to pull a file or two out of the AXW file without opening NS2, just open the AXW file with WinZip.

One important note about importing exported AXW files. The original directory paths are NOT maintained within the AXW files. NS2 will import all your files into the specified directory.

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    dvalosek wrote:
    In NS2, under the "Project" menu, there is an "Export Workspace Files To Go..." option. This will package all your source files, IRL/IRV, TP4, etc. files into one .AXW file.

If you want to revisit this workspace, just select the "Import from Exported Workspace..." option under the "Project" menu.

And if you just want to pull a file or two out of the AXW file without opening NS2, just open the AXW file with WinZip.

One important note about importing exported AXW files. The original directory paths are NOT maintained within the AXW files. NS2 will import all your files into the specified directory.

Hope this helps...
    That is not available from the master, it's only a Studio function. Project information is never stored on the master, only the files needed to actually run the program: code, IR.
  • Options
    nhercnherc Posts: 34
    alexanbo wrote:
    On the newer firmware if you ftp into the master the IR files show up in the root directory as well. I find it a little easier then the receive file dialog stuff.

Are these IR files in the user directory from the current program necessarily? I see a few files (irfile09-irfile15 which all look to be the same size) and I'm not aware of any IR in the current program.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    They are the ir files of whatever was last loaded onto that port.
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    DHawthorne wrote:
    That is not available from the master, it's only a Studio function. Project information is never stored on the master, only the files needed to actually run the program: code, IR.

I think that was in response to this
    nherc wrote:

J