Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Still having crashes with new version of TPD4

I am still having the same buggy issues with the new version of TPD4. The frequency of crashes has seemed to have lowered a bit. But it still crashes, messes up the tool bar docking, etc... just like the previous version.

Comments

• ericmedley wrote:
    But it still crashes, messes up the tool bar docking, etc...

Yes, the toolbar docking issue is very annoying.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Someone posted an idea for a work around for the toolbar issue. Just create your own custom toolbar with the stuff you need and then have it as the only toolbar visible. Thus when the problem happens it can't rearrange stuff as there's only 1 toolbar up.
  • Still, its a very, very annoying thing
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It is, but the crashes are worse. I had a panel the other day that would simply not load. THe connection was just a little iffy, and TPD4, instead of gracefully dropping the connection and trying again, just crashed. After a half dozen times, I loaded it with NS.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I can report the same thing here with TP4.
    I save, cross fingers and TRY to send, try again and again, open NS send!
  • I almost always use NS to transfer anyway. Is there an advantage to using TPD4?
  • Sorry, silly question, but what's this "NS" y'all keep referring to? I just use TPD4 for transfers.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Sorry, silly question, but what's this "NS" y'all keep referring to? I just use TPD4 for transfers.
    NS= Netlinx Studio
  • I never user TPD4 to transfer Touch Panel files, I haven't had issues with it much but I just find it easier to tranfer it all from NS. Usually if I am changing a TP file that means I am also changing the AXS, and I don't want to have to connect to the master with two seperate programs. Of course if the TP file is open it won't transfer, there should be a choice when that happens to abort all remaining transfers so you don't have to wait around for the Master to reboot so that you can load the TP file.
  • with TP4D you can do a smart transfer, which only transfers the changed files. much faster, when connection is slow (e.g. wireless stuff)
    with TP4D you can do a smart transfer, which only transfers the changed files. much faster, when connection is slow (e.g. wireless stuff)
    This is also possible within NS.
  • ericmedley wrote:
    This is also possible within NS.

H O W ? ? !
    H O W ? ? !

I'm assuming you know how to load a TP file into the file transfer portion of NS.

Once there, highlight the TP file transfer in the window. Then select Edit button in the lower right hand part of the window and open the 'Options' menu.

In the options Popup, check "I want to enable Smart Transfer" and you're set.
  • This is where you do Smart Transfer in NS. Just click on "Smart Transfer: OFF". This will give you the option to turn it ON.
    The main reason I don't use NS all the time to transfer is because it will not allow you to do it if the file is open in TPD4. Typically, I'm editing on-the-fly and making minor adjustments to the panel, and using TPD4 to load means I can do that without opening and closing the program every time.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    The main reason I don't use NS all the time to transfer is because it will not allow you to do it if the file is open in TPD4. Typically, I'm editing on-the-fly and making minor adjustments to the panel, and using TPD4 to load means I can do that without opening and closing the program every time.

I find it interesting that it only does this with TP4. TP3 or earlier is just fine. They should just go ahead and imbed TP Design into NS. Or at least let it hold open the file as well...
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    using TPD4 to load means I can do that without opening and closing the program every time.

Maybe this is what you meant, but all you have to do is close the panel. You can keep the application open.
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    Maybe this is what you meant, but all you have to do is close the panel. You can keep the application open.
    That's really not very convenient either.
    TonyAngelo wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant ... I know it's only a few seconds, but loading and re-loading the panel 20 times in an hour for minor changes just annoys the heck out of me. It seems I am forever tweaking panel designs, often on-the-fly in the customer's house because I didn't like some minor detail once the entire system is in place.