Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

HD Radio?

Anyone know of any RS232 (or IP) HD Radios out there? The only one I know of is from ADA - which would fit the bill but I can't see becoming an ADA dealer just for a tuner!

Thanks,

Curt

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Integra TUN-3.7
    http://integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=TUN-3.7&class=Tuner&p=i

I've been wanting to test this piece, but just haven't had a chance to get one.
  • Rotel RT-1084, FM, HD-FM & up to three sirius.

Kevin D.
  • Denon's is supposed to be shipping in December.

http://usa.denon.com/Denon_CI_Products_Release_-_Sept_07_-_Final.pdf
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've used the ADA, and frankly, I think it may well be worth becoming a dealer for it. It's very versatile, and controls well with AMX. And the difference from regular radio to HD is remarkable. When you tune a station, it takes a few extra seconds for the HD to lock in, and you can hear a dramatic difference. It's like you switched from your tuner to a CD.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Denon DRA-697CIHD. I already got one. It has an excellent protocol, gives many unsolicited status reports, including changes from IR remote and front panel. I beleive that the protocol is now on their website.
  • Thanks, I will have to see if the Denon is shipping on time, considering the cost difference I can see using that is more jobs than the ADA - but glad to hear that would work great as a backup plan, or if my patience runs out!

Curt
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    DHawthorne wrote:
    And the difference from regular radio to HD is remarkable. When you tune a station, it takes a few extra seconds for the HD to lock in, and you can hear a dramatic difference. It's like you switched from your tuner to a CD.

I have not had similar experiences. All of the HD simulcasts of the analog signal that I have heard sound quite compressed. They usually include quite a bit of aliasing, and typically lack the high-frequency detail and imaging of the original analog signal.

Most of the HD radio stations that I have sampled are running two HD streams. There is usually a digital simulcast of the analog HD1 as well as a completely different program on HD2. Maybe if they only had one HD stream, they would have the digital bandwidth for better quality audio.

The only time I have truly appreciated an HD radio simulcast was a jazz station I heard somewhere. In that case, the analog signal had obviously been put through very heavy multiband limiting and clipping, probably to maintain a competitive volume with other stations. The digital stream was very obviously taken from somewhere before all of that brickwall processing, thus preserving the openness of the music and lacking all of the distortions presents in the overly-processed analog signal.

"Digital Quality" is the oxymoron of the new generation.
  • Denon DRA-697CIHD.

They also have a modular tuner coming out with three card slots, that was what I was referring to. The DRA is a stereo receiver.
  • Yup, I looked that one up, was told beginning of December that would work for me. For distributed audio, 2 built in tuners, four open slots for xm, hd, etc, for $999 sounds like a steal.

Curt
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    As JJames said, Integra also makes a unit similar to Rotel, in that you can configure it for different devices, like HD or XM or Sirius. The protocol looks fairly simple. And it is alot less than other manufacturers.