Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

OT: Moving programs

Okay - this is not AMX related at all. Since we all have a thing for finding certain programs to do certain things, does anyone know of a program that will move applications from one partition to the other? For example: I have all AMX software on D, but I want to move it all over to C (all on a single hard drive.) I had this "great" idea to install different programs on to different partitions. Once I get it all on C, I want to non-destructively merge the two partitions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Blah . . . I need that shirt that says: "Every great idea I have gets me in trouble."

Comments

• Options
    Would partitionmagic be the right application. Its made by Symantec
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Manager will both take care of merging your partitions. I'm partial to Acronis, myself; Symantec programs have a tendency towards bloat and resource hogging. They won't however, change the zillions of references to the old drive letters. PC Magazine's utility library (it has a small subscription cost ... something like $8 a year, and well worth it) has a applet called Change of Address that will go through your registry keys, ini files, and shortcuts to take care of that. It's not 100% perfect because it can't go inside program-specific data files where there may be an absolute reference, but it's adequate for most situations.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about Acronis; I've used Partition Magic, but didn't quite care for it. I found a program called WinClean OneClick CleanUp, and it'll do the program move portion. Once I resize my primary partition, I should have enough room to start moving my programs. The only downside to this program that I mentioned is that I have to enter in which folders to move - and I've got quite a few. Oh well - hard lesson to learn I guess. :p