Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Fujitsu RS232 malfunction?

Anyone ever seen activity like this before on a Fujitsu plasma's RS232 port?

Comments

• Options
    Looks like noise to me...
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Looks like noise to me...
    That would be my guess too although there are an awful lot of nulls. Maybe it's an intermittent cable or maybe the Fuj had a mental breakdown or maybe as Mark said it's just noise.

I assume you are not using a pre-made cable, correct? If I recall correctly, the Fuj has voltage on the handshake lines. If pins 4 and 6 are getting thru to the NI comm port that can cause problems like this since Netlinx uses those pins for RS-422/485.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Thanks a lot for your input guys. What do you mean by noise? Something is messing with the wire in the wall?
  • Options
    jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    Yep...

I've had the pleasure to deal w/ Fujitsu's as well. I've noticed the same spooge from time to time. I think you're just seeing a hiccup in the RS-232. Not everyone makes solid RS-232 protocols...such a pity.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    There are three other Fujitsus in the same system that are working, so I'm thinking it's either this TV itself, a problem with the cable, or an issue with the card on the NI4000 (not likely).
  • Options
    mpullin wrote:
    What do you mean by noise? Something is messing with the wire in the wall?

I'm not an electronic type person but here are some thoughts...

Dry joint somewhere between the NI and the unit (try a different cable?)

RFI (try adding those little black jobs at ?both ends?)

Nasty power supply (try adding a UPS?)

Bad UART in the NI (try a different NI or a different port?)

Bad UART in the unit (try a different Plasma?)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've done quite a few Fujitsu's and have never seen that. I would suspect a bad port on the TV or a flaky cable.