Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

MVP-8400 time standing still

Has anyone ever seen time stand still on an otherwise perfectly functioning MVP-8400? I just ran into a panel that had time and date buttons that were frozen in time for the last month. I rebooted the touch panel and the time and date buttons synced back up with the Netlinx master and all was fine. I don?t remember seeing that happen to a panel before and found it rather odd.

Comments

• Options
    Probably just a gnome.
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    Has anyone ever seen time stand still on an otherwise perfectly functioning MVP-8400? I just ran into a panel that had time and date buttons that were frozen in time for the last month. I rebooted the touch panel and the time and date buttons synced back up with the Netlinx master and all was fine. I don?t remember seeing that happen to a panel before and found it rather odd.
    Joe
    You're alone. I've had this happen once before, I rebooted and never heard from the client again.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    GSLogic wrote:
    Joe
    You're alone. I've had this happen once before, I rebooted and never heard from the client again.
    Same here.. all iced up and a reboot fixed it. This panel has never done it again either.
  • Options
    I had this happen once, rebooting the panel did not fix it. When I would reboot the clock would update once but then freeze. After a few tries with the panel, I rebooted the Master and it worked fine from that point on.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't know how helpful this is in terms of solving the problem, but the time signal is a UDP broadcast. It's entirely possible for a panel not to be catching the UDP, but still be able to connect to the master, which is TCP.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Joe Hebert wrote:

I find that sometimes a soft-reboot is not enough to purge an evil spirit that has inhabited an MVP-8400.

I find that sometimes, I need to pull the power and remove the batteries and let it set for a minute.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    If you seem to be having intermittent network problems, verify the termination of the network wires through out the channel. This requires more than a simple continuity check. I have seen some weird problems caused by the installer punching down a termination block wrong or making up their own standard for termination. As long as they used the same wrong termination on each end, you will most likely get the connection lights and depending on the distance, you may even have communication.

When I am having communication problems on a network (even wireless) the first thing I check is that all of the network connections are properly terminated.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This is true; connect lights themselves don't mean the connection is good, just that it exists. Noise, crosstalk, attenuated signal due to wire length or sloppy connections, can all have a connect light without reliable communications.