Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Jandy Fahrenheit - Celsius

Hey,

I have to control a Jandy RSLink, and I'm integrating the Jandy module v1.6 in my main code.

I noticed that the set points on the Module are defined as Lowest-34 and Highest-104, well that's deffinetly Fahrenheit.

I didn't had any close contact with the RSLink interface yet, so I have no idea if that has a configuration between C? and F. So if it does have, is there any big changes I have to make on this module, or just ajust these Lowest/Highest SetPoints?

Thanks

Andr? Ludgero

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The Aqualink can't be changed from Fahrenheit to Celcius mode, it can only be queried. Directly from the manual:
    The current temperature units can be determined
    directly by the UNITS command:
    Command:
    #UNITS ? CR
    Response:
    !00 UNITS = F CR
    (units are Fahrenheit)
    or:
    !00 UNITS = C CR
    (units are Celsius)
    and
    When changing a setpoint, no units are specified
    in the command line; temperatures are interpreted by
    the Power Center as being in the current temperature
    units.

So if your Jandy is in Celsius mode, changing the set point limits should suffice.
  • Thanks David,

I'll have to check that out when I'm on the place itself.

In the meanwhile, I just changed the setpoints limits.
  • I'm having some problems at the moment with the interface.

I'm using a RS-232/422/485++ AMX Box for comunication with the RSLink 232 Interface.

When I turn the interface ON, all I get from the interface are these 3 lines:

Line 57 :: String From [80:1:1]-[x$FC$00$80x$00$80x$C0x<$00x$C0$F8x$00$80x<$E0x$00$80$00x<$E0$80x$FC$F8x$00$80x<$1E$FFx$FC$00x$00$F8x$FC$80x$00$80$80$80x<$FE$80x<$00$80$F8$80x] - 12:52:43
    Line 58 :: String From [80:1:1]-[<$1E$0F$F8x$C0$80x<$E0$F8x<$00x$00$F8x$00$80x$00x$00$80x<$00x$00x$00$F8x<$1E$F0x$C0$80x$00x$C0$00$80$80$80x<$1E$0F$F8x$C0$F8x$00$80$F8$00x$00$80] - 12:52:43
    Line 59 :: String From [80:1:1]-[x$00$80x$FC$00$80x$00] - 12:52:43

I'm using a pins 2, 3 and 5 from DB9 (Rx, Tx, and Ground)

Is there the need of a diferent connection? Trying with RTS and CTS but also no bright results :-\

The module keeps polling the interface each second for the diferent info, but no response is given after those 3 first lines.

Anyone got the same already?
    It not only requires RTS and CTS, but DTR as well - so jumper together pins 4 and 6. I have also found that the dang things lock up all the time. I put a timeline on my module so that if it doesn't hear from it in five minutes, the power resets. I'm told the same can be accomplished by dropping the DTR momentarily, but I never tried it since the power reset worked well enough. If you want to drop DTR, you obviously can't jumper it, but have to provide signal for it with an IO port.

I'm attaching the Jandy manual, you may find it helpful.
  • Thanks alot for the info,

Altho it refuses to work eheh.

We passed thru all manual countless times to understand whats happening, but nothing.
    I wonder if I'm still connecting this wrong, since we're using a AXB-232++ with those Phoenix connections.

In the RSLink Interface we have:

1-DCD
    2-RxD
    3-TxD
    4-DTR
    5-Ground
    6- (no info, I suppose its a only a steady IO signal)
    7-RTS
    8-CTS
    9-RI

In the AXB-232++ we have:
    1- Ground
    2- RxD
    3- TxD
    4- +12V
    5- Rx-
    6- Rx+
    7- Tx-
    8- Tx+
    9- Ground
    10- CTS
    11 - RTS
    12 -

Any hints on how to connect these two?

I've read on the technotes http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=516 that I must activate Hardware Handshaking with the command:

SEND_COMMAND DEV,'HSON'

Already done this as well.

At the moment, all that I can get is, reboot the RSLink 232 Interface and get this info from the device:

Line 213 :: String From [80:1:1]-[$0D$0AJandy Products RS ] - 17:13:44
    Line 214 :: String From [80:1:1]-[Serial Adapter, Rev C01$0D$0A] - 17:13:45

the Module then starts quering the interface:
    Line 215 :: String To [80:1:1]-[#SOLHT?$0D] - 17:13:46
    Line 216 :: String To [80:1:1]-[#SOLTMP?$0D] - 17:13:46
    Line 217 :: String To [80:1:1]-[#AIRTMP?$0D] - 17:13:46

But no response as for now :-\

I suppose I'm close, I can already smell it, but, can't see it.
  • Anyone with experience connecting the AXB-232++ with another device?
    Being really annoing as for now :-\ Today is the last day of the trip to solve this.
    Any hints at all, will be highly apreciated.

Thank you.
    Hm, if you are getting the boot message from the Aqualink, I find it hard to believe you still have a connection problem. If the handshaking or pinouts were wrong, you would get nothing. But the fact that it reports it's version to you is telling me its talking. I can't think of anything that would make it stop after that.

Does the Aqualink work connected directly to a computer with Hyperterminal ? Could the problem be with that?
  • Well we already thought aswell it could be, maybe, a problem with the aqualink conection between the Serial Adapter and Jandy Controller.

But to show it wasn't, a Jandy installer connected a display of theyr on, on the Serial adapter side of the Aqualink conection, to test if there was communication getting there, and that worked ok.

Seems maybe like a malfunction with this Adapter I suppose. And that would be honestly frustrating, after waiting 2months for it to get here to Portugal :P
  • The serial adapter is powered from the Jandy controller, so with long wiring runs there might be too great of a voltage drop and not enough power for the adapter to run correctly. Try moving both the serial adapter and the AXB-232++ closer to the Jandy controller.
  • The serial adapter is powered from the Jandy controller, so with long wiring runs there might be too great of a voltage drop and not enough power for the adapter to run correctly. Try moving both the serial adapter and the AXB-232++ closer to the Jandy controller.

Thanks for the reply, altho to be honest they'r like 2-3meters away from each other.

To avoid that problem we ran the AX-Link from the NI4000 to the axb-232++ and mounted both near one each other, and also near the Jandy controller. They may have around 3m distance away from each others.

I think that distance should be short enough.

Could try to shortener this even more, altho I don't think that would be the problem in this case I'm afraid.
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    Hm, if you are getting the boot message from the Aqualink, I find it hard to believe you still have a connection problem. If the handshaking or pinouts were wrong, you would get nothing. But the fact that it reports it's version to you is telling me its talking. I can't think of anything that would make it stop after that.

Does the Aqualink work connected directly to a computer with Hyperterminal ? Could the problem be with that?

Connecting directly to a computer thru Hyper terminal we were able to comunicate with the RSLink Serial Adapter from Jandy.

It's really a problem with the AXB-232++ then I suppose.
    The only working job I have with one of these it is on an NXI RS-232 port; there may be some differences from the AXB-232++ I am not aware of, and it is beginning to look like that is where the trouble is.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote:
    The only working job I have with one of these it is on an NXI RS-232 port; there may be some differences from the AXB-232++ I am not aware of, and it is beginning to look like that is where the trouble is.
    I've had a couple instances of an AXB-232++ not working where moving the port over to one of the NIs fixed the problem.

In both cases, it was not a code issue nor the box not working.

I ended up putting them on things that were less intense about communications (non-polling devices)
  • Thanks for the replys guys.

Well I would love to connect the cable directly to the NI itself, but its like 50-60m away.
    I believe that a distance like this would be terrible for an rs232 control, if possible at all.
    Prodigal wrote:
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Well I would love to connect the cable directly to the NI itself, but its like 50-60m away.
    I believe that a distance like this would be terrible for an rs232 control, if possible at all.

For RS-232, yes. But the Aqualink wire can go that distance if you are willing to relocate it. That's how I have it working - the Aqualinks are right in the rack with the NetLinx, and their wiring is what goes the distance to the actual pool controls.
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    For RS-232, yes. But the Aqualink wire can go that distance if you are willing to relocate it. That's how I have it working - the Aqualinks are right in the rack with the NetLinx, and their wiring is what goes the distance to the actual pool controls.

Thanks ;)

I'll check that out, to see if we manage to pass a new cable thru the grass tubes.
    Didn't knew the Aqualink could run that far.

Thats why I had this rs232 so close to the Jandy controllers themselves (was kinda concerned with the humidity issues, even it beeing on a sealed box).
    Prodigal wrote:
    Thanks ;)

I'll check that out, to see if we manage to pass a new cable thru the grass tubes.
    Didn't knew the Aqualink could run that far.

Thats why I had this rs232 so close to the Jandy controllers themselves (was kinda concerned with the humidity issues, even it beeing on a sealed box).

It's just a Jandy keypad with an RS-232 port instead of buttons. It will run as far as any other keypad will, and subject to the same wiring considerations.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Just to add that I did pulled a cable all out till the Rack which is more than 60m away.

I installed the RS-Link adapter on the rack and connected directly to the controller.

Everything worked great like this! Thank you very much!