Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New Color Viewstats

FYI:

I ordered one of the new color Viewstats after they were introduced at CEDIA. I was then told to expect delivery in January. I'm now being told late May.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Does anyone know if the new AMX (since buyout) is still striving for product availability 90 days after being introduced, or are they joining the masses and just announcing new products they hope to have available sometime in the future?

I could be focusing on the wrong products, and it might just be something out of AMX's control that is delaying these things (such as some code approval process), but the unit I saw at CEDIA did not appear to be that far from complete.... then again, I didn't have to program the thing :)

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Most of the time, such delays come from getting it in a state where anyone else can use it. It's fairly easy to whip something up for a show, and another matter altogether to make it transferable and scalable for other projects.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    It's a shame about the delays. The group of products rolled out at CEDIA was one of their nicest bathces yet. I hate being teased then denied, by AMX (and women!)
  • The R4 confirmed a lesson I had learned before, do not spec vaporware in jobs, regardless of how sure the manufacture is that they will have said product ready. It's only now, over a year of firmware updates after it's announced release that I would feel comfortable selling the R4.

But at least they get stuff out when they say they will most of the time. As far as I know they are going to be releasing the rest of the stuff within the 90 day window, so if it's just the one piece they got wrong and by a couple months, it's hardly the end of the world.

There are companies out there like RTI that never meet release dates they announce. They announced the XP8 more than two years ago and are still not shipping it.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Has anyone heard anything on the new keypads? Will they be shipping on time?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    jjames wrote:
    Has anyone heard anything on the new keypads? Will they be shipping on time?
    I was told last week they will be shipping end of January or first week in February. When you get them will depend on where you are in the queue. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Metreau keypads)
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    I was told last week they will be shipping end of January or first week in February. When you get them will depend on where you are in the queue. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Metreau keypads)
    Yup, yup! Thanks for the info!
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    But at least they get stuff out when they say they will most of the time. As far as I know they are going to be releasing the rest of the stuff within the 90 day window, so if it's just the one piece they got wrong and by a couple months, it's hardly the end of the world.

I was thinking about this. I agree that, in the past, AMX was fairly good about giving realistic release dates. I just went through the new products section of their website, and what I saw was a little concerning. Everything that is not listed as available now (except the autopatch distribution amps), is showing as "Booking Orders Now - Available Soon" on the site. Some of these products were due to be released in Nov 07. There is even one product that lists itself as available now on the New Products page, but is listed as Booking Now in the product info. Anyone know if this is just a matter of the product info pages not being updated properly?

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    I was thinking about this. I agree that, in the past, AMX was fairly good about giving realistic release dates. I just went through the new products section of their website, and what I saw was a little concerning. Everything that is not listed as available now (except the autopatch distribution amps), is showing as "Booking Orders Now - Available Soon" on the site. Some of these products were due to be released in Nov 07. There is even one product that lists itself as available now on the New Products page, but is listed as Booking Now in the product info. Anyone know if this is just a matter of the product info pages not being updated properly?

Jeff
    I know I'm stating the obvious, but I wish they'd get a little better at this too. It always seems that our designers are much more optomistic about delivery of new stuff than us here in engineering. It's bad enough that we'll get a piece of new gear and find out, to our horror, that it doesn't work quite well or not as advertised. It's even worse when we just don't plain have it in our hands at all.