Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Where do you usually find protocols?

Do you know about one site where are many protocols like a library?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    AMX Inconcert Database - available via login at amx.com
  • Options
    2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    All right, I have access in AMX. But ... the question is, when you don't find where you usually search?

Thanks ;)
  • Options
    If it's not on Inconcert and you've tried the manufacturer of the device in question (website, tech support)...

After that its a question of google, posting here on the forum, or sometimes you have more luck trying Distributors websites, and even the manufacturers different international sites sometimes have more or better information. Also worth trying other control systems, such as the C******* or others...

I'm not aware of any other specific database that is available - I have a reasonable store of protocols that I've either worked with, researched but never used, or happened across - as do most others I suspect...
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    2Fast wrote:
    Do you know about one site where are many protocols like a library?

Thank you!

It's kinda like barnstorming. There's no set way to get to this information. There's no one-stop-shop or Protocols-R-Us anywhere to be found.

I tend to collect manuals when I find them and they have protocol in them. I also us AMX, or the manufacturer's websites. Failing that I do a google search and wade through all the online (get the best price on 'insert device model here' websites.) I also make sure to include the words RS-232 or Protocol when searching.

Failing that I'll try to hit web forums like this one and try to get some help.

Failing that, I then just hook up a laptop and open up hyper terminal and bang on it for a while. Sometimes, trying to opereate the device manually when hooked up can give you clues. If you get a text string from a devcie when you swithc inputs and it says "Input-DVD" Then you may have a fighting chance of guessing the protocol.

Lord help you if you get a hex string that does nothing when you send the string back to it.

How's that for a pep talk???
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    ericmedley wrote:
    It's kinda like barnstorming. There's no set way to get to this information. There's no one-stop-shop or Protocols-R-Us anywhere to be found.
    Hmm - that'd be nice wouldn't it? Hmmmm....... get ready to look for Protocols-R-Us.com in the very near future. (Underground website that will be free to AMX dealers or anyone else allow in. ;)) LOL
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    jjames wrote:
    Hmm - that'd be nice wouldn't it? Hmmmm....... get ready to look for Protocols-R-Us.com in the very near future. (Underground website that will be free to AMX dealers or anyone else allow in. ;)) LOL
    Protocols-R-Us.com - Never Registered
    ProtocolZone.net - Never Registered

Someone should get on this. jjames?
  • Options
    mpullin wrote:
    Protocols-R-Us.com - Never Registered
    ProtocolZone.net - Never Registered

Someone should get on this. jjames?
    Oh trust me, I've thought about it (for the past 30 minutes), and believe me - no one knows more than my wife how much of a waste it would be. I might jump on it though and just not tell her. ;) Then I just gotta find a host (and a comfortable couch to sleep on for the next month). ;) I just *might* go for it . . . *MIGHT*
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Go for it.
    jjames wrote:
    Oh trust me, I've thought about it (for the past 30 minutes), and believe me - no one knows more than my wife how much of a waste it would be. I might jump on it though and just not tell her. ;) Then I just gotta find a host (and a comfortable couch to sleep on for the next month). ;) I just *might* go for it . . . *MIGHT*
    Go for it. I can personally recommend hostmonster.com and IKEA (respectively)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I search in this order, assuming it's not right in the manual (as it often is):

1) AMX.com - even if I don't use their module, they often include the raw protocol
    2) Manufacturer's public web site
    3) Manufacturer's dealer area
    4) Google
    5) Manufacturer's Tech Support

My boss, on the other hand, will call Tech Support first. I consider it a last recourse, since more often than not, I know more about it than the average support guy.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I I know more about it than the average support guy.

Hah! I call that the Radio Shack syndrom...

For example, I'll go into a Radio Shack looking for an electronics part. I try to make it simple. "I'm looking for a 250mf capacitor" But, no matter how I try the conversation degenerates into talking about something the guy seems to know little about. I usually get some kind of argument on how some other part will serve my needs better. Oh, I'll also be asked if I need any batteries with that.

And to the tech guy note, I do appreciate AMX's tech support people. They always seem to be pretty savvy. And more importantly, when they don't know, they're pretty honest about it, which I appreciate even more.
  • Options
    1. Manufacturers Public Website
    2. Dealer

We get ALLLLLLL THE Protocols this way!
  • Options
    2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    Thank you ALL :)
  • Options
    mpullin wrote:
    Go for it. I can personally recommend hostmonster.com and IKEA (respectively)
    Thought about it a little bit more - the next problem we'd / I'd have is all the "agreements" I've made as far as not "sharing" or whatnot these protocols - you know, the little button you tick that says you understand the Terms, blah blah blah. Or the "dealer" agreement.

Perhaps through some sort of forum or whatever - we just "talk" about how we'd love to have such-and-such. :D

I'd love to get some IKEA furniture, we just don't have one around us. Plus I heard their cheaply made. Though we do have Nebraska Furniture Mart near-by (2.5 hrs.) Maybe I'll look there before I got to HostMonster ;)