Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Panasonic DVR security Camera Control

Hello all:
I just wanted to know if anyone has been able to control a Panasonic DVR for security camera.

I am using the Panasonic WJ-HD316A and it has a serial port on the rear but I cant sem to find any information on the AMX website to control it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Go to this Panasonic link and click on Operating Instructions to download the user manual. The RS232 protocol starts on page 153 of the PDF file.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=110063&catGroupId=14463&surfModel=WJ-HD316A/1000V&parentCatGroupId=14220&searchModel=WJHD316A&displayTab=R
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    Thanks JOE
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Hey Joe... I always start singing when I type that :)

Do you like this DVR?
    How does it compare with the less expensive Everfocus?

Thanks
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    I just got it but so far it is awesome. Very fast and responsive.
    I like the way it uses the coax video cable to control the PTZ cameras.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    GSLogic wrote:
    Hey Joe... I always start singing when I type that :)

Do you like this DVR?
    How does it compare with the less expensive Everfocus?
    Hey Gary, where you goin' with that gun in your hand? Wait, that?s not right. :)

I don?t know anything about the Panasonic DVR. The only DVRs I?ve had any experience with at all are the Falcon and some other manufacturer that slips my mind at the moment. Both units only support front panel control via their protocol.

Looking through the Panasonic WJ-HD316A manual I see that the protocol supports full search and playback capability which is something I can really use on an upcoming job. Does the EverFocus provide the same?
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I like the idea of controlling the camera over the coax!

The Everfocus (less than half the price) does allow control of just about everything, EXCEPT it uses a jog wheel to navigate and you have to move through the menus to get to a certain commands.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Have you actually got control of a PTZ camera over coax via the RS-232 port?

We tried to make that work but were unable to get the box to forward the commands to the camera. I ended up having to talk RS-485 to the cameras and forward requests from the 316 to the cameras using a separate port.