Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Sharp LC65D64U 232 question

Does anyone know if this unit sends out any kind of feedback before turning itself off when the auto shut off mode is enabled? I can test it, but it takes three hours to turn itself off. When using the hard power button on the side I get no feedback.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know the answer, but based on my experience with Sharp, I'm going to say "I doubt it".

You're probably better off polling the display's power state every so often to determine if it has been turned off. If you have to know whether it's just off or specifically turned itself off, I'm not sure what to suggest.

- Chip
  • Options
    I talked to tech support and they told me know.

The documentation I have makes no mention of an query commands and the tech support guy I talked to said they have any.

Someone else I talked to recommended trying "POWR?___',$0D"
  • Options
    flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    I talked to tech support and they told me know.

The documentation I have makes no mention of an query commands and the tech support guy I talked to said they have any.

Someone else I talked to recommended trying "POWR?___',$0D"

Tony, Did you tried that? I might be working with that unit today or tomorrow. Actually, I just realized I don't have the protocol for that set. Where did you download it from?
  • Options
    http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_dow_LC42_46_52D64U.pdf

It's in one of the appendixes and no I haven't got a chance to try the query command.
  • Options
    We had a problem similar when the Sharp LCD's would not power up from RS232.
    We found out eventually that we had to send RSPW at startup to enable RS232 communications proper. ( just make sure that the LCD is on when you send this command )

I wonder if the RSPW command might fix this as well, have to admit though, haven't tried in on a 65"
    send_string dvLCDs[k],"'RSPW0001',13"	 // activate the Power on capability via RS232

• Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    there are multiple ways to make sure a sharp LCD maintains RS232 communication when powered off.
    If you want i can post these, but i have to translate from Dutch :p
  • Options
    We had a problem similar when the Sharp LCD's would not power up from RS232.
    We found out eventually that we had to send RSPW at startup to enable RS232 communications proper. ( just make sure that the LCD is on when you send this command )

Just to clarify, this is not what I was referring to.

Aside from the string that needs to be sent to enable power on there are settings in the menu for auto-power off. These have nothing to do with Energy Star and will not disable the 232 when enabled. The problem with them is that they will not issue a response indicating that the display has been turned off. So the only way to determine this is by polling.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    Just to clarify, this is not what I was referring to.

Aside from the string that needs to be sent to enable power on there are settings in the menu for auto-power off. These have nothing to do with Energy Star and will not disable the 232 when enabled. The problem with them is that they will not issue a response indicating that the display has been turned off. So the only way to determine this is by polling.

that's true. As far as i know the LCD TV never sends out changes done by remote or by hand. So if you change an input using the remote, the only way of knowing is by requesting the input with IAVD????
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    that's true. As far as i know the LCD TV never sends out changes done by remote or by hand. So if you change an input using the remote, the only way of knowing is by requesting the input with IAVD????

That was confirmed for me by Sharp tech support. The only time it talks back is when you talk to it.
  • Options
    If "POWR?<sp><sp><sp>" or "POWR<sp><sp><sp>?" doesn't work, try "POWR????". I seem to remember having to use that variant on a display some time ago.

Yeah, as mentioned elsewhere, consistency with Sharp RS232 bites the proverbial big one. But they've actually made a lot of progress - be glad you weren't working with these 3-5 years ago...

- Chip