Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

UDP for the novice

I am in the process of updating a large Panasonic video matrix that sends me information via RS-232. After the update, it will no longer send data through RS-232, but will be sending it via an ethernet connection using UDP. The video matrix has an IP address of 192.168.200.1 and uses port 4001 for UDP. I have tried all the standard IP_SERVER_OPEN, IP_CLIENT_OPEN, both TCP/IP and UDP versions, but I can't seem to connect. If I connect the matrix to my computer and use Wireshark I can see the stream is indeed coming down the Cat5 cable. I am using an NXI with a NXC-ME260 Master card. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    zooeyl wrote: »
    I am in the process of updating a large Panasonic video matrix that sends me information via RS-232. After the update, it will no longer send data through RS-232, but will be sending it via an ethernet connection using UDP. The video matrix has an IP address of 192.168.200.1 and uses port 4001 for UDP. I have tried all the standard IP_SERVER_OPEN, IP_CLIENT_OPEN, both TCP/IP and UDP versions, but I can't seem to connect. If I connect the matrix to my computer and use Wireshark I can see the stream is indeed coming down the Cat5 cable. I am using an NXI with a NXC-ME260 Master card. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Any number of things could be wrong. You might have used a port on the Netlinx master that is already in use. (you should always start at port 3 and above) You might have too many IP connections going. The router on your local network might have the firewall turned on and is blocking traffic in that port range. You might have a bad nic card on the Panasonic. There might be a problem with the firmware upgrade.

Unfortunately, with IP connections, it can be a real bear to troubleshoot the issue. I've often found the solution to problems lies somewhere totally unexpected. I've even found once that a squirelly problem ended up being a neighbor's kid hacked his way on the client's wireless connection and was just dinking around with stuff, not knowing what he was doing.

more info might help.
  • zooeylzooeyl Posts: 13
    Thanks. The IT guy had the switch set up for "trunking". Anyway, he switched it and I'm getting information.