Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

RS-232 for LCD 47" FULL HD

Hello,

I really don`t know how control this device! I tried: baud rate - 9600,N,8,1, 38400,N,8,1, 115200,N,8,1 ... so a long time ago I made a project with LG plasma and the command used to turn on was: SEND_STRING dvDevice,"'ka 0 1',13" and it was working...the manual for LCD shows the same commands. Maybe I'm using the wrong manual ... I don't know. :(

What I have to do??

Thanks.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    First I would verify the manual and protocol is correct and also call LGs tech support to verify that the specs contained there in are indeed the specs for the TV. I got burned once by an AMX published spec for one of their devices which was supposed to be a 4800 baud and it turned out the device was change to 9600 but the publication for it wasn't. That had me going nuts all evening one day and of course TS was open. If AMX can to that then LG or any one else would be just as likely if not more likely to do it as well.

Then check the cable cuz that seems to be what has caused most of my comm problems. For most devices you just want pins 2,3 & 5 connected on the AMX side otherwise comms can be sporadic or they'll send ok and not receive if they work at all. You can also connect pins 2 to 3 and make a loopback to test your cable, port and program.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Here's what I had for a 42" LG

'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'

and for the on command

SEND_STRING dv_DISPLAY_STUDY,"'ka 1 1',$0D" // DISPLAY ON LG plasma

They are notoriously flaky, however.
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    I've tried to change the cable sometimes ... 2-2 3-3 5-5, 2-3 3-2 5-5 :(

Well, anyone has the protocol for this device? While I don't discover how ... I will use IR ... but I don't have the discrete for inputs too.
  • adysadys Posts: 395
    I tried last week to find out why my Action three projector is not responding.

The problem was "485 disable"

When I removed this line from the port initialization every thing start working..

In the manual its not mention at all.

when I can't control a serial device I have some ways to check whats the problem:

1. check cable and put a cross over unit on it to see maybe this is the problem.
    2. change baud rate and 485 disable the init port (I had few systems that start working after changing the 485 option, some needed to remove it, some needed to add it)
    3. send the commna from the Netlinx "control device"
    4. connect the device to my laptop send commnad via dos commnad:

open a cmd windows
    write "mode com1:19200,N,8,1"
    create a small text file with your command
    send it to com1 like this:

"type poweron>com1"

There must be some serial utils to work with, but I am not familiar with them.
    I don't like windows terminal..

good luck
  • Docklight (www.docklight.de) is a good RS-232 Terminal program. Saves a lot of time cause I can save my projects there so I never have to look up in a RS232 manual twice.

I just put up a 47" and a 50" LG plasmas and am using the "old" protocol. The only difference is that I send it as a HEX code. But that should not be the problem.

SEND_STRING dvTV_22,"$6B,$61,$20,$30,$20,$31,$0D" // ON

SEND_STRING dvTV_22,"$6B,$62,$20,$30,$20,$30,$0D" // PC

Aren?t you getting any response from the plasma? You should get some ACK via notifications if the plasma is receiving anything.
    Thanks a lot for replies!

I'll try every suggestions ... now I'm using IR with discrete inputs and power on - power off ... :)

But I must control via RS232!!!

Cya!
  • adysadys Posts: 395
    Thorleifur wrote:
    Docklight (www.docklight.de) is a good RS-232 Terminal program. Saves a lot of time cause I can save my projects there so I never have to look up in a RS232 manual twice.

I just put up a 47" and a 50" LG plasmas and am using the "old" protocol. The only difference is that I send it as a HEX code. But that should not be the problem.

SEND_STRING dvTV_22,"$6B,$61,$20,$30,$20,$31,$0D" // ON

SEND_STRING dvTV_22,"$6B,$62,$20,$30,$20,$30,$0D" // PC

Aren?t you getting any response from the plasma? You should get some ACK via notifications if the plasma is receiving anything.

Thanks

Are there any freeware options?
  • I haven?t found anything as good as the docklight, but I searched for a long time. And when you find anything this easy to use one tends to stick with it.

You can always try www.download.com.
  • what is the real manitor type?

you may try to found the rs232 protocol manual first... and to find it you have to know or to give us the monitor name or reference
    LCD LG

Model: 42LY3RF

Thanks!
  • dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    232 test apps

Here's a good one.
    http://www.hackconsulting.com/SDTestInfo.html

Also Extron makes one too.
    dthorson, can you post the link of extron software?

Thanks.
  • 2Fast wrote: »
    SEND_STRING dvDevice,"'ka 0 1',13" and it was working

Have you tried turning the monitor on first, then sending commands to it while it's on? I've dealt with 2 LG monitors recently whose serial ports were partially shot - they would work as long as the monitor was on, but once I powered it down, it would not respond to a power on command.
    Have you tried turning the monitor on first, then sending commands to it while it's on? I've dealt with 2 LG monitors recently whose serial ports were partially shot - they would work as long as the monitor was on, but once I powered it down, it would not respond to a power on command.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I tried ... really not working, I think the cable probably is wrong :S
    I changed the cable and the baud rate to 115200,N,8,1 ... I could turn off the LCD with the command
    "'ka 0 0',13". Only the power off worked ... I'll try when I can haha!

cable used:
    2-3
    3-2
    5-5
    4-6
    6-4
    7-8
    8-7
    to be continued ... lol

Cya