Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

White MVP-8400??

In InsideAMX Newsletter for this month http://www.amx.com/newsletter/200802/index.htm,
a picture of a white MVP Modero panel installed in New York's Plaza Hotel

have anybody seen it before?? a white MVP??... if so.. is there a black or brown available??

Comments

• davem212davem212 Posts: 1
    I think those were custom made for that hotel and aren't available for order. So no on the black or brown.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Sensiva wrote: »
    In InsideAMX Newsletter for this month http://www.amx.com/newsletter/200802/index.htm,
    a picture of a white MVP Modero panel installed in New York's Plaza Hotel

have anybody seen it before?? a white MVP??... if so.. is there a black or brown available??
    Sure . . . hire a painter. ;)
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I was going to make a joke about it being a silver one with all the paint scraped off but I decided against it.
    mpullin wrote: »
    I was going to make a joke about it being a silver one with all the paint scraped off but I decided against it.

Scraped? You don't even have to do that - just put it in the field for 6 months and you'll have a partial white one! Though I will admit, they did fix that problem. I believe it was the panels with older cases; I haven't seen this problem as of late.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i know the 'other' company has all their new touchpanel in black and white :p
    very 'ipodish'
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    The new 5200 is black or white so I guess this trend will continue...

Until fashions change...
    University colors...

I think AMX is still perfecting their MVP-8400U version which sports university colors of your choice. ;)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    mpullin wrote: »
    jjames wrote: »
    Scraped? You don't even have to do that - just put it in the field for 6 months and you'll have a partial white one! Though I will admit, they did fix that problem. I believe it was the panels with older cases; I haven't seen this problem as of late.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing ... and decided it was a bit too bitter. I've beat the horse to a bloody pulp already over the soft plastic and worn silver finish on the MVP series.
    maybe get a mech assembly, and paint it? (i've never seen one, so i have NO idea what it looks like :p )
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    You can paint them with Krylon Fusion paint. If you let it dry for a week before you mess with it, you'll be suprised how well it holds up.
  • Why isn't there a special product dept. by AMX who can make everything the client likes. I know that Bosch has got a special dept. and make gold DCN Microphones if you want.. It will cost you money but if you want its possible !
    Roman Bias wrote: »
    Why isn't there a special product dept. by AMX who can make everything the client likes. I know that Bosch has got a special dept. and make gold DCN Microphones if you want.. It will cost you money but if you want its possible !

Who says there isn't? Obviously, this hotel got a special one made.
  • CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    Roman,
    I think this shows that AMX will do custom colors if the price is right. The Plaza has purchased one 8400 and wall docking station for every room. So, to accomidate several hundred units, the price was probably right to do a custom color.
    Well . . . who knows? It very well could have been painted by someone other than AMX. We've had a few of our face plates painted to match wall colors or the wallpaper (and then for the background it was a continuation of the wallpaper. Was kinda neat.

But who knows for certainty?
  • SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    jjames wrote: »
    Well . . . who knows? It very well could have been painted by someone other than AMX. We've had a few of our face plates painted to match wall colors or the wallpaper (and then for the background it was a continuation of the wallpaper. Was kinda neat.

But who knows for certainty?

Would you please tell us, How did you paint those faceplates?? and how much time this paint may survive?
    Sensiva wrote: »
    Would you please tell us, How did you paint those faceplates?? and how much time this paint may survive?

We did not paint them, the painters at the house did. They were faux finishers, so . . . I haven't a clue how long it'll last or what process they used. Though, after a year - it still looks good.
    Faux finishes are typically clear-coated when done; I've had a few trim plates, keypads, etc., done that way. It's very durable, but also kind of thick ... you could do the trim around an MVP dock, for example, but not the inside without risking it not mating well afterwards.
  • CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    I spoke with some of the folks high up in the AMX leadership and they explicitly told me they (AMX) did the custom color due to the quantity ordered and it was requested by the hotel. The hotel requested a custom color to go with their theme, and the decision was made to do the custom color because of the scope, scale, and visibility of the project. This is the second location for the Amenities solution as well.

I think any manufacturer would do this under the circumstances.
  • SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    CT-Dallas wrote: »
    they (AMX) did the custom color due to the quantity ordered and it was requested by the hotel.

I think any manufacturer would do this under the circumstances.

I agree, specially the quantity is relatively good for requesting custom specs, 460+ is a big quantity I think, but don't you guys think that a White MVP with silver external buttons looks a little bit.....???????
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Sensiva wrote:
    don't you guys think that a White MVP with silver external buttons looks a little bit.....???????
    Well looking at the slew of products that are coming out with gloss white jackets and cases makes me think most designers are trying to mimic the iPod or maybe they're are going for the toaster oven look. In typical marketing fashion once one product sells well everyone else has to copy its style and mimic their functionality instead of being innovative and creating the new fad. That said I think the white is a vast improvement on the silver jacket which IMHO doesn't contrast or compliment anything unless your on a space ship or a room with lots of satin nickel finishes. I personally don't like anything with glossy finishes either though and generally prefer satin finsishes. It would be nice if the TP jackets could be made in the various Lutron satin finishes and AMX could partner with Lutron for improved purchasing power with Lutron's plastics provider, provide TPs in 2-4 standard colors and offer the other colors at a modest up charge. Once the molds are made creating custom colors shouldn't that expensive to do for a company in the plastics business. It's not like an extra $150 for a custom color would be outrageous in the scope of the equipment being provided.
    vining wrote: »
    Sensiva wrote:

It would be nice if the TP jackets could be made in the various Lutron satin finishes and AMX could partner with Lutron for improved purchasing power with Lutron's plastics provider, provide TPs in 2-4 standard colors and offer the other colors at a modest up charge. Once the molds are made creating custom colors shouldn't that expensive to do for a company in the plastics business. It's not like an extra $150 for a custom color would be outrageous in the scope of the equipment being provided.

Though I agree in principle, Lutron would be another manufacturer that I would put in the category of "looks nice, but doesn't last." I am forever replacing broken and cracked buttons on heavy-use Decora style switches; and you can forget about them working right if the mounting surface isn't perfectly flush.

The whole industry needs to remember that people might be willing to buy a new iPod or whatever their favorite gizmo is if it wears out or starts looking funky; but built-in remotes and light switches they expect to last as long as they are in the home. In the days of MSP keypads and even CP-4's, this was not unreasonable. Now, well, a year or two is all you can expect, at most.
    Bosch DCN equipment can be customized in ANY color and finish. Their motto is: if you pay, we make it :)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Though I agree in principle, Lutron would be another manufacturer that I would put in the category of "looks nice, but doesn't last."
    Completely agree! I was just talking color and design choices not quality of construction and durability for which you're right, both companies are lacking. Which is usually due to bean counters having more control over product designs than the engineers.