Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

PLK-DMS

I've never worked with these before and had to update an old system that wasn't created by me.

The system was running some very old Panja controllers with a PLB-AS8 Audio Switch from Landmark. The house has 5 PLK-DMS keypads, they are all connected to each other.
Basically 1 cable went out of the controller to the PLB-AS8 and from here to the 1st Keypad, from the 1st to the 2nd and so on.
All till a RF device that works under ICSnet aswell, wich has a conector on the end, to finalize the network

Problem is that it doens't have any ICSnet HUB.

As I've read on some topics, everyone uses HUB's to connect the Keypads, altho this system wasn't connected that way.

I've installed a new NI3100 using the same concept as it was before, and I'm constantly having problems.
A lot of connection losses. And then they simply stop working. After some time (30min or 1h) they restart working, till they loose connection again.

Is the HUB totally necessary or is there another reason for this to happen?

Comments

• glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    The old Landmark system has 2 buses, a Phastlink and a PhastHub. The Phastlink should be connected to ICSNET. Phasthub should be connected to ICSHub. There was also a frame called a Hub or a Hub2. This was used to add things like a mic hub or a video switcher. The DMS keypads would be connected to this mic hub via Phastlink and this mic hub allowed for intercom. The Hub was connected to the CF10 cardframe via the PhastHub. The DMS keypads are not connected to ICShub. They should be connected to ICSNet. Why this installer chose to daisy chain I certainly do not know. While the system supported daisy chaining up to 10 devices, I think it was, it was not a recommended practice. You indicate a connector at the end of the line. I assume that this is the standards Landmark terminator, which again is highly recommended.

Assuming you have everything connected properly (have you checked your wiring?) you must have a failing device. If you have a DMS diagnostic keypad then run the tests. Otherwise try starting at the beginning of the chain and remove all devices except for the first one. Put the terminator in this device. Continue adding one device at a time until you find the problem piece while moving the terminator to the last device each time you add.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It is possible to connect the DMS without a hub as long as you aren't using the built-in microphone or speaker. The hub gives you an audio connection breakout as well as the obvious expansion of the ICSNet connection. Though it does work, daisy chaining them has always been problematic ... if at all possible, rewire them and terminate each one. They are flaky enough without pushing the limits that way. Phastlink, by the way, is pretty much the same as ICSNet.

My guess would be that this system always had this problem, and the Landmark "handled" the dropouts. I wired a few of my early Landmark jobs that way, and they worked well enough to be functional, but we found very quickly that re-wiring them made the system far more responsive and reliable.
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    For an additional 2 cents worth, if you can get them working reliably - take advantage of it. IMHO, they are much better and have better mechanical and functional value than the replacement MIOs.

I agree that if you can wire them in home run config, that would be best.

Also - check the voltage that is driving them - we had an issue with the KPs being powered by the Mic Hub and voltage seemed to be low and was killing keypads. I believe voltage should be 12V, as I recall although someone else noted 10V - I stand to be corrected. I WAS told by tech support that minor fluxuations of voltage can mess them up.

Enjoy 'em if you can get 'em working! They are still my favourite - for features and value for $$$

Cheers!
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Thanks for the tips,

DHawthorne wrote: »
    It is possible to connect the DMS without a hub as long as you aren't using the built-in microphone or speaker. The hub gives you an audio connection breakout as well as the obvious expansion of the ICSNet connection. Though it does work, daisy chaining them has always been problematic ... if at all possible, rewire them and terminate each one.

So If I understood this well (my english can be a little sloppy some times.. ok, maybe a lot) the best way is to rewire every single DMS to a hub and terminate them all.
    If that is the option.. god, I can't even see this being possible since the person who installed it passed the cables in the most imaginative ways.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Prodigal wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips,

So If I understood this well (my english can be a little sloppy some times.. ok, maybe a lot) the best way is to rewire every single DMS to a hub and terminate them all.
    If that is the option.. god, I can't even see this being possible since the person who installed it passed the cables in the most imaginative ways.

That would be the preference, but if you can't, you can't. Re-check all the connectors, make sure they are CAT 5 compliant; make sure each DMS that doesn't have a loop coming out is terminated; make sure all your voltages are good.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Thanks I'll try that out.

In the case that it's totally impossible to run new cables, I'll try to update the Keypads for some new MIO that use AX-Link, since the Daisy Chain is already created.