Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NXD-CV5 - Power Question

hodeyphodeyp Posts: 104
Hi,

I am looking to replace some MIO-DMS keypads with the 5" Touch Panel. I have never been happy with the keypads and feel it is tome to move on.

Problem I have is the keypads are powered over the ethernet cable and it does not seem that the 5" panel supports power over ethernet. Do you know if it would be possible to take power from the ethernet cable and divert to the phoenix connector on the panel, will there be enough power available to do this?

Providing a new cable to supply the power is not an option.

Any thoughts?

thx!

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm sure the voltage is on one of the unused pairs ... blue or brown in standard configurations, my money would be on the blue. The Ethernet spec originally left that pair unconnected because the popular AT&T phone systems when it was written used RJ45's and have high voltage on that pair, so leaving it unconnected prevented burning out your NIC if you accidentally plugged it into a phone jack.

That said, if you want to avoid the whole business of breaking out the voltage yourself, just pick up one of the many POE stand-alone adapters out there. The "receiver" component will strip the voltage out for you and provide it on a separate plug, which you can then chop off and connect to the CV5.
  • Options
    thanks, good suggestion!
  • Options
    PoE allows only 500mA because of the RJ45 connector. The CV5 has a standard load of 650mA, and on powerup it has upto 1.3A. This is both over the specs for RJ45
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    PoE allows only 500mA because of the RJ45 connector. The CV5 has a standard load of 650mA, and on powerup it has upto 1.3A. This is both over the specs for RJ45

::facepalm::

Of course, for some reason it never occurred to me to consider current ratings ... a major omission.

In that case, I would break away the blue and brown pairs on the CAT5 and double them up. Forget POE entirely; splice a power supply in on one end, and pick up the power connector to the panel on the other. You are still going to have a voltage drop, and it won't go any great distances, but that might get you working. If the drop is too great in some locations, you are going to have to think about local power.
  • Options
    thx - looks like some fun experimenting. cable distance is less than 10ft so shouldn't be too much of a drop.