Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

R4 Best Practice

Hi,

I am off later this week to start a job commissioning seven R4s in a large residential install. I have read the various tech notes and some threads on forums but wondering if anyone has anything to add on installation gotchas/field experience that may help pre-empt any issues.

I am controlling TV, media server, iPod dock and satellite - all pretty standard stuff and as far as possible one-way only. I am limiting the control of the media server/iPod so as not to throw too much two way traffic over the Zigbee network but am more concerned about getting connectivity to the mesh reliable as I know from bitter experience how frustrating it is when wireless remotes don't reconnect quickly and seamlessly to access points.

Hope that helps and I look forward in advance to your feedback.

Best regards,

Jez

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    you got the R4 buffer enhancement module with you? No idea where to find it, but heard alot about it :p
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    Just like flying

My only caveat to you would be expect delays. The buffer module will do wonders for you. I believe they still have it on the site, if not let me know and I can e-mail you a copy. I have used the module in quite a few installs now and had good success. My biggest question is how many zigbee access points do you have and how many remotes on each access point. As I said the module does a great job, but you will find the R4 less than quick to give feedback. Try to make sure the zaps (don't know if that's been coined yet, but it should be) are in the same room as the remotes. I know they have a decent distance spec, but I'm talking from my own experience.

If you have more questions let me know, its mid-night and I can't sleep...so why not be on the AMX forums.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    I think the R4 Buffer module is available in Tech Note 864
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I find it helpful to limit your expectations. An R4 is not just a small touch panel; it is considerably slower and has a lot less memory than the smallest real touch panel. It's a jazzed up remote ... and as such, is a very nice one. As a remote, it's a great product. But thinking of it as a small touch panel will lead to disappointment.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I find it helpful to limit your expectations. An R4 is not just a small touch panel; it is considerably slower and has a lot less memory than the smallest real touch panel. It's a jazzed up remote ... and as such, is a very nice one. As a remote, it's a great product. But thinking of it as a small touch panel will lead to disappointment.

I will second this thought. The R4 works well for me as a remote. I even have it able to switch between rooms, but because of the way rooms are setup, I had to implement a Please Wait screen. I know people hate the idea of a please wait screen, but in this case it is necessary as the remote is useless until the room change has populated the remote properly :) This change takes about 10-20 seconds. I also limit the feedback being sent to the remote. This is made easier by using the R4s mainly in rooms with TVs, as now I don't have to list all of the movies available on the remote....they just use the on-screen interface.

Jeff