Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

mvp 8400 lost connection

krukru Posts: 20
Hi everyone!

I have problem with Modero MVP 8400i panel. It work only in small distance from access point or wireless router. When panel distance is more than 3 meters (10 foots) from AP the connection is losting. There are another same panel in the system, but it works fine. Wi-fi settings in this panels are the same. Is it a problem with a panel? Does anyone have same problem?

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    kru wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I have problem with Modero MVP 8400i panel. It work only in small distance from access point or wireless router. When panel distance is more than 3 meters (10 foots) from AP the connection is losting. There are another same panel in the system, but it works fine. Wi-fi settings in this panels are the same. Is it a problem with a panel? Does anyone have same problem?

I've had a few MVP-8400s that have had bad Wireless cards. A new one fixed the problem.

There is also the possibility that you have some kind of interference in the room you're in. Heaven knows that I've ran into my share of Microwave ovens and things of that sort that blow out a WiFi netowkr. :) Short of getting an RF Spectrum analyzer, you just have to do a lot of guess work and experimentation to isololate the problem.

Best of luck
    e
  • Options
    gusgizmogusgizmo Posts: 15
    Usually my best guess with those sorts of issues is to reset everything back to stock, do firmware updates and whatnot, then if that doesn't work it's probably a busted antenna or RF amp and you need to do an RMA.
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I've also got a few MVP-8400 panels around the place. I'm running them 24/7 (only turning off the backlight) so that important clients don't have to wait for them to boot up. I find that they drop offline from time to time, sometimes once a day, other times every 10 minutes for hours upon end. Do others see similar behaviour, or is it only in my environment? I was wondering if a firmware update might improve things.

I haven't updated the firmware on any of them yet (v2.63.5 and v2.81.21), since I am unsure of the best way to do it - WiFi vs USB. What is the consensus? I'm expecting it to be USB, but I thought I'd ask the forum. Is there any benefit in updating the master firmware as well. Some are NI-3000 (v2.32.148), others are NI-3100 (v3.21.354). I've found both versions to be stable, so I'd only update them if it will improve MVP connections.

Thanks,
    Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    annuello wrote:
    since I am unsure of the best way to do it - WiFi vs USB. What is the consensus?
    I beleive USB is the preferred method and I might have actually done that once but for me it's wi-fi and usually from my laptop connected the network via wi-fi. Sometimes through my office wi-fi through a VPN connection to the customers house through wi-fi. Then VNC into the TP after the reboot to see if it's alive.

No problems!
  • Options
    richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 389
    annuello wrote: »
    I've also got a few MVP-8400 panels around the place. I'm running them 24/7 (only turning off the backlight) so that important clients don't have to wait for them to boot up. I find that they drop offline from time to time, sometimes once a day, other times every 10 minutes for hours upon end. Do others see similar behaviour, or is it only in my environment? I was wondering if a firmware update might improve things.

I've recently used a MVP8400i panel with a WAP-250G. Sometimes (once a day or once a week, very random) the panel would drop offline and never reconnect. Rebooting the panel or the controller did not help. Only after removing/inserting the batteries from the MVP it would immediately reconnnect, only to repeat the above. I've upgraded firmware on the panel, the wap and the controller; didn't help. After i replaced the wap with a 'standard' Linksys WRT54 the problems seem to have disappeared. No idea what that has to do with cycling the power on the MVP, but i had weeks of problems, followed by months of no problems, so it must have solved something (?).

I do not like wireless connections and almost never use them because i think there not very reliable. So i thought it better to use an AMX WAP to circumvent connection problems. My mistake. As a sidenote i am not very impressed with the wifi performance of the MVP panels i've used. Whenever i have (severe) problems connecting a MVP to a WAP, my laptop (which costs 10 times less...) connects fine to the same WAP. I don't think that should be necesarry.

Regards Richard
  • Options
    KimKim Posts: 52
    Hello All I think this may not connect with problem but i have 4 MVP 8400 in installation and sometimes i see in log that various of panel quickly offline and quickly online 1-4 seconds. This is not wifi because very small time for wifi card....
    Sometimes i have a lot of this messages, sometimes not have...
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    annuello wrote: »

I haven't updated the firmware on any of them yet (v2.63.5 and v2.81.21), since I am unsure of the best way to do it - WiFi vs USB. What is the consensus? I'm expecting it to be USB, but I thought I'd ask the forum. Is there any benefit in updating the master firmware as well. Some are NI-3000 (v2.32.148), others are NI-3100 (v3.21.354). I've found both versions to be stable, so I'd only update them if it will improve MVP connections.

Thanks,
    Roger McLean
    Swinburne University

It's been my experience that random, quick dropout-and-reconnects are fairly common. It has also been my experience that tweaking the network can greatly reduce or eliminate them, depending, of course, on how much interference and network activity is present. As long as they come right back (that is, they aren't off line long enough to affect performance), I don't worry too much about it if I can't clear it up.
    I've recently used a MVP8400i panel with a WAP-250G. Sometimes (once a day or once a week, very random) the panel would drop offline and never reconnect. Rebooting the panel or the controller did not help. Only after removing/inserting the batteries from the MVP it would immediately reconnnect, only to repeat the above. I've upgraded firmware on the panel, the wap and the controller; didn't help. After i replaced the wap with a 'standard' Linksys WRT54 the problems seem to have disappeared. No idea what that has to do with cycling the power on the MVP, but i had weeks of problems, followed by months of no problems, so it must have solved something (?).

I do not like wireless connections and almost never use them because i think there not very reliable. So i thought it better to use an AMX WAP to circumvent connection problems. My mistake. As a sidenote i am not very impressed with the wifi performance of the MVP panels i've used. Whenever i have (severe) problems connecting a MVP to a WAP, my laptop (which costs 10 times less...) connects fine to the same WAP. I don't think that should be necesarry.

Regards Richard

I've found the MVP series to be pretty robust. True, they have some issues, but I have yet to be in a circumstance where I couldn't get one to stay online consistently. I don't avoid wireless at all; in fact, I prefer it over wired in in every application except streaming video (and I would prefer it there too if the technology would catch up to wired video throughput).