Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Serial / IP Converters

Has anyone used any good 232/IP converters you would like to recommend?

I have a sample of a Xantech Xtralink IP. Has anyone tried this unit? If so what were your thoughts? I have also been looking at the ILP series from Extron.

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    MattSmith wrote: »
    Has anyone used any good 232/IP converters you would like to recommend?

I have a sample of a Xantech Xtralink IP. Has anyone tried this unit? If so what were your thoughts? I have also been looking at the ILP series from Extron.

I like this device: http://www.siteplayer.com/telnet/index.html

It's relatively inexpensive, has a POE option, is simple to configure and operate, and works well. They also have what appears to be pretty responsive support/help via an online forum.

The Extron devices seem to me to work OK but some people have had problems with the device timing out. This can be controlled. The manual for the Extron devices is available online. Look it over. In my opinion, these devices have more features and are more complicated than necessary -- perhaps to a fault.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I can vouch for the Siteplayer option. I just installed a couple of these on a job last week and they worked great! (As soon as I configured the TVs to allow serial communication and set the correct baud rate :) )

PoE is nice because it reduces the clutter behind the TV and it means the unit is protected by the battery backup as well :)

Jeff
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I use the Moxa N-ports. They are available through B-B Electronics. The N-Ports are provided with redirecting software that creates a virtual comm port for your application then forward to the device over IP. They work very well.
  • MattSmithMattSmith Posts: 6
    Thanks

Appreciate the suggestions. I'l try a few of these.
  • BinuBinu Posts: 49
    Last week I used one WUT com server. Its work fine and very easy to configure.
    http://www.wut.de/e-58631-ww-daus-000.php.
    But a bit expensive.