Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

IR over Cat5

I'm working on a project where Cat5 cables and other A/V cables are already installed in walls.

Is it possible to use one Cat5 cable for IR control? Runs are under 50 feet.
Any trap to avoid / special setting needed?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Short runs like that should be OK. I've had to do it a few times, no special issues with it.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I've no problems with IR through CAT5. I've run four IRs in one CAT5 over 100 feet.
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Thank you for the info!!
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Further, CAT5 is probably one of the best cable types for extending IR as it has a very low capacitance.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Pep_SD wrote: »
    I'm working on a project where Cat5 cables and other A/V cables are already installed in walls.

Is it possible to use one Cat5 cable for IR control? Runs are under 50 feet.
    Any trap to avoid / special setting needed?

Thanks for your help.

We have run IR over cat5 close to 200 feet and it worked. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the wire and surroundings but, if you have a problem you can always use a converter like the component over cat5 devises.
  • elytronicelytronic Posts: 51
    We always use cat5 for IR in our projects. We have done up to 50m with no problem at all. Some people prefer to use a pair rather than one conductor but in my opinion it does not really matter. The alternative is 22/2 or 22/4 but the cat5 is much more flexible solution. Is there any other solution except cat5 or 22/2 or 22/4 for IR?