Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

AMX iPort module and R4s

Has anyone had an iPod/R4 combination with the Amx Netlinx iPort module? I have set it up but the feedback seems to be slower than I had hoped. I haven't delved into the module yet to see what's up but I wanted to see if others have had a positive experience with it.
Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    If you are using the Java version and using the AMX UI module, you will need to modify it. They are updating information to ALL touch panels in the mainline. (This would be using SEND_COMMANDs, not just channels) If you are using the R4 module, I would think that most of this is not making it's way to the R4, but it has to be affecting the performance of the processor.

I changed the module around a bit and only have it sending information to TPs that require it. I also wrapped all of the SEND_COMMANDs in a WAIT to slow it down a bit. It's not the way I wanted to do it, but time was a factor.

Jeff

P.S.
    I haven't used the NetLinx module, but I hear that it is written by someone who had much more experience and knowledge of the iPort protocol and it is supposed to work better.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »

P.S.
    I haven't used the NetLinx module, but I hear that it is written by someone who had much more experience and knowledge of the iPort protocol and it is supposed to work better.

I highly recommend this module. it has worked extremely well for me on many occasions and in many different configurations. it also works very well with multiple iPorts on the same system.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have had duplicate code running on an MVP-8400 and an R4, and the R4 is considerably slower. This is with a much less chatty device than an iPod, so bottlenecks are not the issue. It's just slower.
  • def90def90 Posts: 14
    I have the regular NetLinx module (non-Duet) and it works fine.. version iPort Module 2_01 11-09-2006
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I have had duplicate code running on an MVP-8400 and an R4, and the R4 is considerably slower. This is with a much less chatty device than an iPod, so bottlenecks are not the issue. It's just slower.

Well that's what I have found. The 8400's populate quite well, but the R4s are slower and less reliable, almost to the point of being unusable. I don't think you can send data to R4s the same way you can to 8400s and expect it to work the same. I don't have access to the R4 buffer module code that I am using but I am thinking it may not work all that well in all cases. I have sent data directly to the R4s before for Kaleidescape and other data intensive devices without the buffering module and had no hiccups to speak of. Now I use the R4 buffer module and the Netlinx iPod module and even with less data, it is slower, and has some weird behavior. Looks like a rewrite may be in order *sigh*
    Paul