Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Studio 2.7 Patch is up

There is an updated NS 2.7 on the WebUpdate client. The search box issues are fixed, and as near as I can tell, the multiple workspace ones as well ... but I don't regularly use that, so I don't know for sure what to look for there.

Comments

• Grrrrr, thought I would be the first one who found it :o

Looks good. Search works again, doubleclick to a workspace will start a new Studio instance, and doubleclick on a axs will open the file in the Studio instance which was lauched latest.

It's Studio2 v2.7.0 Build 226 (the buggy one was build 210).

Pretty sure that it will also be online on the website soon.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    There is an updated NS 2.7 on the WebUpdate client. The search box issues are fixed, and as near as I can tell, the multiple workspace ones as well ... but I don't regularly use that, so I don't know for sure what to look for there.

~shudder~

So, is this a 1) install origianl 2.7, then 2) install patch or just a new installer?
  • ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    ericmedley wrote: »
    ~shudder~

So, is this a 1) install origianl 2.7, then 2) install patch or just a new installer?

As of right now you have to install the orignial 2.7 the install the patch
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Its a full package for 2.7 Build 226 on WebUpdate
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Thanks, I think I will wait :)
    Spoke (typed) to soon. :(

If you have Workscape 1 open and you do a find/replace, works fine.
    Open a 2nd Workscape, enter a NEW word for find/replace and NS thinks you are still looking for the previous word from the 1st workscape?????
    GSLogic wrote: »

Open a 2nd Workscape, enter a NEW word for find/replace and NS thinks you are still looking for the previous word from the 1st workscape?????

~Insert funny trombone sound here~
    whaaamp whaaamp whaaaaaaaa...
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I still have my foot in my mouth from my last rants . . . you all have at it. :D
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    GSLogic wrote: »

Just ran into that myself.. Look's like it's not just different workspaces. Find/Replace always looks for the last thing you did a FIND for. So you have to FIND the word, and then FIND/REPLACE.

Fortunately, if you do a FIND for 'VARIABLE' and then do a find/replace for 'APPLE' - 'ORANGE' it will not find anything when you hit REPLACE ALL. It will keep finding 'VARIABLE' and let you replace it with 'ORANGE' one by one though.

Kevin D.
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    Just ran into that myself.. Look's like it's not just different workspaces. Find/Replace always looks for the last thing you did a FIND for. So you have to FIND the word, and then FIND/REPLACE.

Fortunately, if you do a FIND for 'VARIABLE' and then do a find/replace for 'APPLE' - 'ORANGE' it will not find anything when you hit REPLACE ALL. It will keep finding 'VARIABLE' and let you replace it with 'ORANGE' one by one though.

Kevin D.
    I do CONFIRMED the above!
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    So, what else is screwed up besides the find/replace stuff already mentioned.

1. Now the dialog window has a "help" button on it. It used to be that the lowest button on the window right was "Close". Now, there is a help button there. Today I unintentionally brought up a help window about 50 times. This is, to me, very frustrating.

2. It used to be that when you hit <cntrl>F the window would show up with the "Find What" dialog automatically selected and you could start typing in the search string right away. This is now snafu and if you start typing without clicking the "Find What" dialog box first, unintended consequences ensue.

After using a software suite such as Netlinx Studio for a while, you become accustomed to how it works. Certain actions become second nature. When I want to search for a string, I am accustomed to hitting <cntrl>F, typing in the string, hitting a <CR> and having the software find the string. The user doesn't even consciously think about this sequence of actions. It's like learning how to type or play the piano or guitar. The actions become coded down their in the lizard area of the brain. Changing how the dialog works is like re--arranging the keys on your keyboard, mixing up all the black and white keys on a piano, or tuning a guitar in a manner that the player is not familiar with.

Please, when the engineers/developers go back into studio to fix the gross and disgusting situation with find/replace, can they remove that stupid, worthless help button and return the behavior of the search dialog to that which existed prior to all this fumbling about?
    I'm starting to find this a bit humorous . . . I'm beginning to wonder if they even use the software they write. To follow that, I wonder if it's developed in-house or outsourced.

I'll stick with 2.6 for now.
    The !new! HELP button drives me crazy too.
    If you need help use the top menu.

JJ: out-sourced to Indian, ha-ha, who would ever do a thing like that? ;)
    jjames wrote: »
    I'm starting to find this a bit humorous . . . I'm beginning to wonder if they even use the software they write. To follow that, I wonder if it's developed in-house or outsourced.

I'll stick with 2.6 for now.

It reaks of offshore code, and I have a feeling that whoever is coding it doesn't know how to use the software, and that is why the most obvious bugs are not found. I have found this to be not that unusual in the industry where the developers have never actually used the program before or don't know how.

It is likely written offshore, then shipped here, put up on the website for users to try out, and then all issues are sent back for subsequent fixes. This may not be true, but that is what it seems like to me and it seems more and more companies are doing this these days. It has come back to bite them over and over again, so maybe they will figure out that it isn't economically feasible to do it this way, no matter how cheap the programmers are.

A friend of mine who is a Java developer living in Germany was working on train transportation software when all of a sudden halfway through the government decides to ship the work to Hungary where the developers make far less money. A year later he gets a call that the project is stalled, overbudget and long passed due and they are now looking for the original developers to come back on the project and finish it off. I can't include what his response was here, but let's say he raised a particular finger to express his feelings. It will now likely cost German taxpayers far more, and they will get an inferior product than had they just continued with the way things were going.
    Paul

Here is the link I was looking for

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9504EED61E3AF93BA15757C0A9629C8B63
    To be honest - I wasn't even thinking it was off-shores. Perhaps someone in Montana is writing - I was just raising the question for us to ask: where are the problems coming from? I would imagine that if it was done in-house, there wouldn't be so many issues. But now that I think about it, I know with 100% certainty that particular "things" that we use nearly everyday are not written in house, and let's say those work much, much better than NS2.7 - so who knows, maybe it is written in-house.

I that if the original writers are reading this, or if this is able to get back to the original developers, that they shouldn't take this personally. I have nothing against the developers on a personal level, I just hope they could get the code straightened out, and fixed. I have an idea: instead of moving forward with what they've already developed, how about they step back a few steps to 2.6 and develop from that code base? I really think that if this continues (buggy releases after buggy releases) it's time for AMX to bite the bullet and go with an Eclipse version.
  • avi_daveavi_dave Posts: 62
    ill wait till the guinea pig versions are str8ned out, they should of said BETA instead of a solid 2.7 and handed it off to advanced programmers to test and give them feedback, ill stay with 2.6 most stable!! Thats my 2 centz.....
    avi_dave wrote: »
    ill wait till the guinea pig versions are str8ned out, they should of said BETA instead of a solid 2.7 and handed it off to advanced programmers to test and give them feedback, ill stay with 2.6 most stable!! Thats my 2 centz.....

I've been calling 2.7 '2.8 beta' around the office.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I wonder if the latest versions of NS2 have been flawed because there is secret under the table work going on for... NS3!

I can't wait for Christmas NOW.
    mpullin wrote: »
    I wonder if the latest versions of NS2 have been flawed because there is secret under the table work going on for... NS3!
    Oh I wouldn't doubt it one bit. But that is still no reason to "forget" NS2. The end does not justify the means in this case. I won't be using anything other than 2.6 until it's all fixed; I'll let AMX do its thing in trying to get it fixed, and I'll keep doing mine with 2.6. You can compare all these shenanigans to a surgeon operating on an arm when the patient needs a triple bypass.
    I think the people working on NS are doing the installation guides now..

From the new 5200 wall-dock instructions:

Cutting the hole slightly smaller than the dimensions to allow for adjustments is highly recommended.

I'm pretty sure if I cut smaller then the dimensions it is not going to fit.

Kevin D.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    To be fair, you can't un-cut a hole, if they're talking about cutting the hole prior to receiving the unit, it would seem smarter to make the hole smaller so you could cut more if the unit turns out to be as spec'd or bigger, whereas if the unit is smaller than spec'd and you've cut out the hole exactly, you have extra space... then again I'm not an installer so maybe I'm missing something here... Doesn't show much confidence in the accuracy of the specs though...
    I could see that rationale. The whole sentence is worded strange so it could go either way. They do say 'slightly smaller' though. It's not like they want you to cut a 2"x2" hole to make sure the wall is clear and then cut the normal hole. I would think 'slightly larger' would be better to let you level it and line it up with light switches..

Kevin D.
    Can the staff at AMX please give me an idea when they are going to post the fix for the fix for NS2.7.
    People that use the software 16to22 hours a day (must sleep a little) are wasting time and money and the baby needs new shoes!
    Can't you just fix the FIND/REPLACING and post it?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    shr00m-dew wrote:
    Well I'm not sure how we got on this subject but.... there are posted dimensions that I got from somehwere and they worked perfectly as I installed 3 the other day in holes I cut to the spec months ago.

I'm sure I can dig them up if need be but since they're shipping you might as well wait.

F' here they are anyway!

Vertical cutout = 5.750” +.125”, -0”

Horizontal cutout = 8.375” +.125”, -0”
    I actually had it in hand and was reading the install guide from the box. Thanks for the info just in case though. Just found the sentence odd. I would like to see templates included in the box though. Would make it a little easier..

Kevin D.
    I think the people working on NS are doing the installation guides now..

From the new 5200 wall-dock instructions:
    Quote:

Cutting the hole slightly smaller than the dimensions to allow for adjustments is highly recommended.

Kevin D.

Darn those AMX scoundrels! First NS 2.7, and now this? Deliberately telling people to cut holes in walls the incorrect size? They are evil...
    Paul
    Okay, so since it was put up on the website to download, should I assume AMX isn't going to be releasing any fixes until 2.8?

BTW - I'm still waiting for my beta invitation. :D
    jjames wrote: »

BTW - I'm still waiting for my beta invitation. :D
    Hope springs eternal... mee too :P
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    So 2.5 and 2.6 are...

......still the only reasonably viable solutions?

Just glad that AMX didn't have a hand in natural selection, I'd NOT look good as a Neanderthal.

Note:AMX personnel have been conspicuously absent from this thread for a while..... Very Telling.

--The Inventor of Skepticism