Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

VA Touch Panel Design. AMX newbie struggling here! Help would be much appreciated!

Maybe what I'm about to suggest isn't even possible, but logic suggests that it should be!

In the Panel Design Tab of Visual Architect, I want to get the navigation buttons and the control of a device on the same touchpanel page. So that down the left side of my panel screen, the user will have navigation options to whisk him off to a different device. I cant help but feel like I'm missing something obvious.

How can I achive this?? I'm from an Electronic Engineering background and software can be my greatest foe sometimes! Any help would be great.

Thanks guys,
Paul O'Neill

Comments

• This is not possible with the panel template included in VA1.3.

I did not have seen VA1.4 yet, but from the announcement, we may get more flexibility for the UI
    http://www.amx.com/products/NSS-VA.asp
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've only used the VA panel builder once or twice, and in both cases I just used it as a starting point and modified the design to my own needs. I simply don't like the paradigm of having to drill down through a hierarchy of pages to get to my final device. My own designs never require more than 2 button presses to have a system up, running, and controlling the end device; all utility devices are available from wherever you happen to be in the main system. It would tax my own patience to the breaking point to have to drill down 4 layers of pages to watch cable, so I don't ask my customers to do it either.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    This is not possible with the panel template included in VA1.3.

I did not have seen VA1.4 yet, but from the announcement, we may get more flexibility for the UI
    http://www.amx.com/products/NSS-VA.asp

Does anyone else get a valley-girl voice pop in your head when you read this line?
    Customize Touch Panel Functionality with the ability to add new buttons and assign programming functions like custom device control options and macros to combine sets of functions.

Like Dave, I've used the GUI from VA (when it first came out) only several times, and it's only as a starting point.
  • Thanks a lot guys.

You mention that the Panel Builder in VA has a template which doesnt support the type of User Interface I'm after. I tried to get something together in G4 Panel Builder but it's as frustrating as VA. I have the same problem.

You guys suggest using VA Panel Builder only as a starting point. In this case, what would you use to futher tweak the design?

I really dont see why this is so backward. The button design implies that the two are pretty much designd to go together. And I dont see what use messing about with the interface in TPDesign4 would do, as the
    panel transport cant be varied at tht stage as far as I can see.

Forgive the basic nature of my questions, but I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of transparency offerered by the the programs in the AMX package.

Thanks again for all your comments!
  • Actually, I've just had a bit of a mess about with TPDesign 4 and I see how transport and and multiple string commands can be added to buttons.

I guess it's just a matter of plugging away until it works. Oh the fun.
  • TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    I was going to recommend using TPD, but it seems you've figured that out.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    VA and Panel Builder are pretty much the same thing for panel generation; they use the same design paradigm.