Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Virtual control of NI/MVP

Hi All,

In ******** we can use virtual UI on computer to act as a touch panel.

Is there any similier solution on AMX? or we must have a MVP so that we can VNC to the MVP and contorl the system?

Comments

• oh sorry, i dont know it will bar the name
    it is brand name with C
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    You have a few options

You could use virtual Keypad, or create a G3 panel and export that as HTML, or you could use flash remoting and write your own protocol, or you could use the AJAX example that is floating around somewhere on the amxforums, or as you say, you can buy a panel and VNC into that :)
  • You can use TP design 3 to create a web panel, the ni master will host it. works like a charm.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    stevepro wrote: »
    You can use TP design 3 to create a web panel, the ni master will host it. works like a charm.

Windows Vista has trouble with it.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The "official" AMX paradigm is buy a G4 panel and VNC to it. They stopped supporting the G3 web panel some time ago (and it never really worked well anyway).
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    The "official" AMX paradigm is buy a G4 panel and VNC to it.

Unfortunately, I have had to convert many past projects to C******N because of this fact.

I still cannot believe that AMX has not developed the process to do this.

A G4 Panel Preview application on steroids sounds feasible to me.

Not every client can afford to drop $$$ on a G4 panel "just to be there" to VNC into.

Tis a shame.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    There is nothing available from AMX but that doesn't mean you can't roll your own. In my last company we had a web UI that controlled just like the 8400's. We used a java applet but it can be done with just about anything. It was a virtual device that did all the communicating between the master and the java applet. It worked pretty well and with newer technologies like Ajax etc you could design something very cool and incorporate the web into it as well. Just a thought if you lose patience with AMX.
    Paul
  • The virtual keypad that you can download from AMX works pretty well. It is not a full touch panel, but you can send text to the screen on the center of the keypad.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it is an option.
  • the8thst wrote: »
    The virtual keypad that you can download from AMX works pretty well. It is not a full touch panel, but you can send text to the screen on the center of the keypad.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it is an option.

You can also change the button names during runtime to create page flips.
  • Web interface

I have used the G3 web on many jobs, on some occasions it was the only panel in the system. You do have to be carfeul about the version of JAVA on the machine logging in and some times IE needs to be tweaked, but once its up and running is very reliable. There is a tech note that explains how to have multiple users log on to the web page, and you can build and host multiple pages on one master. with the VNC to a G4 you can only make one connection to the panel. AMX has told me thats how its going to stay.
    You can also build the page into a home page with frames and add streaming video to the page, great for camera control. Xpanel from the compition is still easier, though
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    G4 VNC with video preview
    stevepro wrote: »
    You can also build the page into a home page with frames and add streaming video to the page, great for camera control. Xpanel from the compition is still easier, though

WAIT!! WHAT? THIS is exactly what I was looking for!! (I hope)

I have a client that is outraged that he cannot see his video preview on a G4 Webpage (he needs it for setting up camera presets remotely, go figure). How exactly can I make this happen?

Thank you.

--Feddx
  • There either is or used to be a tech note about the G3 web control HTML files that are generated by TPD3. It explained how you could add frames so you could embed a video window alongside the "touchpanel" buttons.

- Chip