Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Access point

Hi. Can you suggest me an Access Point professional to use with 8400 and 5200? I have a lot of problem to connect these devices and sometimes I have problem to connect/disconnet from AP. I'm using linksys but I hate it.
Do you know an Access Point with a powered antennas and affidability? Thank's a lot
Alex

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    eddymouse wrote: »
    Hi. Can you suggest me an Access Point professional to use with 8400 and 5200? I have a lot of problem to connect these devices and sometimes I have problem to connect/disconnet from AP. I'm using linksys but I hate it.
    Do you know an Access Point with a powered antennas and affidability? Thank's a lot
    Alex

We use the Cisco Aironet 1100. It's pretty robust and beefy. (pardon my tech-talk)
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Why not use the AMX WAP250G?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    TurnipTruck wrote:
    I've never used one but in the past few years of reading forum posts I've never come across a favorable comment about them. Don't they also just have 1 antennae and therefore don't provide diversity?

I use Linksys and have never had any problems that I could attribute to them although some forum members have mentioned they've had a few. I think DHawthorne had a post a few months back that covered a problem with Linksys WAPs or routers and problems re-connecting after a reboot or something.

I do still have issues with the 5200i's handing off and re-associating when roaming even with active roaming enable and reluctantly using only channels 1, 6 & 11 just to do so. Maybe this is related to what Dave was talking about, but my gut says it's a TP issue.

Powered antennae? Do you mean hi gain antennae? If so they are just specialized antennae disigned to focus the RF in certain directions which may be beneficial depending on the installation and coverage area. In residential it's typically not recommended since you usually what coverage in a 360 degree sphere around APs.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

We gave up using them. They had a very high failure rate. In addition, they run very hot.

The earlier 200 model worked quite well, however. I still have one in my house that has never been rebooted once. Quite nice.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's the Linksys switches I had trouble with ... the routers and WAP's I've used a lot without issue, with one caveat: turn off the wireless-N support. It just seems to confuse AMX wireless cards.

If I can't use a commercial grade device though, my preference is D-Link. I'm not sure there is any major difference in the long run, so long as you aren't attempting some off-name $20 thing.

I only used the AMX access points once. I had a lot of trouble getting them to remain up consistently; the heat issue came along too. But mostly, it's the cost. They just plain are too expensive when perfectly good alternatives are out there that are much cheaper.