Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Custom Modules

I have worked with pre-made modules in the past, not very often though. I figured I would take a shot at writing my own. I was wondering, if other devices have to do something in relation to the device being controlled by the module, would all of that be written in the module?

For example, I am using a Tandberg 6000MXP, an Extron 128 video switch, and two plasmas. If the user selects to transmit the main camera, not only does the Tandberg need to switch to the camera input, the Extron switch needs to make some moves, and the plasma screens need to power on (if not on already) and move to the proper input selection. My initial guess would be to only have one device controlled per module. So the array of buttons used for the Tandberg would be sent to the module for usage. Then, in the main program, any of those same buttons that would require the Extron switches to do something or the plasma screens to do something, that particular button array would also be used. I was thinking if I put control of all of the other devices into the module, the module would lose its portability. So, what would be the best way to handle something like that?

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Generally if you want your modules to be used in various types of systems, it is best to keep them as modular (hence the name) as possible. Interdependencies between device modules is generally a bad thing.

If the three devices need to change when the user does something then your code will have to do three do_pushes on each of the three devices to accomplish the task.
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    There are so many ways to do this and most are perfectly fine so it comes down to a matter of choice and style of coding. I'm still expermenting and it seems every module I write I'm trying something new that in my head is better than my previous methods, although that's not necassarily true. I almost always create an include file to instantiate my module and iniitally I would pass my button array to the module and all button_event occurred in my module. The last module I did I created another include file instantiated my module but kept button events from the TPs in the include file which in turn would do_push_infinite and do_release of a virtual TP which ran a button_event in the module.

The traditoinal method was to have the button_event in the main, include or UI module and communicate with the module via send_commands with commands that you yourself create and pass to the module which in turn would parse the received command in a command data_event handler and send infromation back to the main, include or UI module with send_string of commands that again you create.

So there are many ways to do this but regardless of the method I usually always try to keep the modules and the include files clean and control the various devices that need to work together in a Systems include file or module with a Systems virtual device to handle system wide button events that handle mutiple devices by do_pushes on the individual devices or direct send_commands into the modules. I tend to favor the do_pushes because I often have additional tracking or TP feedback outside the module.
  • I'm a firm believer in COMM Modules that have no reference of button pushes. The purpose of the module is to handle communications with the device plus standardize commands. For an NEC Projector on maybe $02$00$00$00$00$02 and off would be $02$01$00$00$00$03. It would be more readable to use SEND_COMMAND vdvProj,'ON' or SEND_COMMAND vdvProj,'OFF'. In the case of a projector, Polling would occur in the module to obtain the current power state of the project to insure that when 'ON' is sent the projector eventually turns on and selects the proper input when it turns on. The module may have input and output buffers or maybe simple command transelation. You could pulse Channel 27 in the module to turn on thr projector but it's harder to see the channel pulse in notifications than it is to see the send_command 'ON'.

A button press in the MAIN Code using COMM modules may look like this.
    button_event[dvTP,1]
    {
      push:
      {
         send_command vdvProj,'ON'
         send_command vdvProj,'RGB'
         send_command vdvTandberg,'WAKE'
         send_command vdvTandberg,'INPUT-1'
         send_string dvExtron,'1*1!'
      }
    }

The COMM modules handle the commands and buffers them where needed. Comm Modules also makes it more simple to troubleshoot. Using Diagnositcs Control a device, simply send the command to the virtual device and the control is tested.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    kbeattyAMX wrote:
    You could pulse Channel 27 in the module to turn on thr projector but it's harder to see the channel pulse in notifications than it is to see the send_command 'ON'.
    I don?t know if I agree that it?s harder to spot the channel pulses in notifications but one could argue the point. Either way, I still prefer the pulsing of channels over the Command/String paradigm. Commands/Strings have their place for sure but I definitely go with channel control whenever possible. I?ll save myself the bother and overhead of parsing strings when a channel can offer discreet control and/or feedback.

The channel states can also be viewed with a port status of a device in the online tree via NS2 or though a telnet session so you can get a fair amount of info about what the module thinks it?s doing without having to go into debug.
    kbeattyAMX wrote:
    A button press in the MAIN Code using COMM modules may look like this.
    button_event[dvTP,1]
    {
      push:
      {
         send_command vdvTandberg,'WAKE'
         send_command vdvTandberg,'INPUT-1'
         send_string dvExtron,'1*1!'
      }
    }

If I have a device where an input select means nothing or does no good unless the unit is powered on (projectors, TVs, receivers, etc.) then I write the module so that I just need to pulse the input channel I want from my main code and the module will take care of turning the unit on if it?s not on already and wait the appropriate amount of time for the input select.

So instead of doing this:

I like to do this:
    PULSE[vdvProj,nRGBInputChan]

I?ll still support channels 27 and 28 for simple on and off but I like to take as much thought process out of the main code as possible and let the module do the leg work for me.

Food for thought?
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    I still prefer the pulsing of channels over the Command/String paradigm. Commands/Strings have their place for sure but I definitely go with channel control whenever possible. I?ll save myself the bother and overhead of parsing strings when a channel can offer discreet control and/or feedback.
    That's what initial started to do on the last module I wrote but switched to do_pushed_infinite and do_release on the virtual TP button_event in the module so I could also use the "hold" button_event handler. Instead of pulsing some channels I could have just "ON" the channels needing a hold to trigger a timneline in the module and then stop on an "OFF" but felt at the time the do_push was a cleaner approach.

This module was for an AVR and I only used channel and level events for feedback from the module to my include file where I used channel and level events for feedback to the TPs. I used multi state bargraph buttons to display my fixed variable text such as inputs, surround modes and volume levels and don't send variable text at all with send_commands.
  • Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I don’t know if I agree that it’s harder to spot the channel pulses in notifications but one could argue the point. Either way, I still prefer the pulsing of channels over the Command/String paradigm. Commands/Strings have their place for sure but I definitely go with channel control whenever possible. I’ll save myself the bother and overhead of parsing strings when a channel can offer discreet control and/or feedback.

The channel states can also be viewed with a port status of a device in the online tree via NS2 or though a telnet session so you can get a fair amount of info about what the module thinks it’s doing without having to go into debug.

If I have a device where an input select means nothing or does no good unless the unit is powered on (projectors, TVs, receivers, etc.) then I write the module so that I just need to pulse the input channel I want from my main code and the module will take care of turning the unit on if it’s not on already and wait the appropriate amount of time for the input select.

So instead of doing this:

I like to do this:
    PULSE[vdvProj,nRGBInputChan]

I’ll still support channels 27 and 28 for simple on and off but I like to take as much thought process out of the main code as possible and let the module do the leg work for me.

Food for thought…

It's something that works for me. Normally channel feedback in notifications is saturated with button feedback and channel feedback that makes it difficult for me to see the event I'm looking for. Breaking it out to a send command allow me to quickly verify that the program logic triggered the action. Parsing for the send command is minimal as there is no parsing at all.
    COMMAND:
    {
       switch (data.event)
      {
         case 'ON':  //event to run
         case 'OFF':  //event to run
      }
    }

No more than a channel event would require in the same module.

This is how modules were originally conceived by AMX until conformity to channel presses (as in IR devices) were required by users of the modules to make a 232 device behave like an IR device.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm a big fan of using send_commands to a virtual interface in a comm module, but I have come to the conclusion that for many modules, it makes sense to include panel functions and feedback rather than the AMX paradigm of a separate comm and UI module. My modules usually include both now. I'll build the send_command portion first, then fill in the button events after it's working. I don't hard-code channels and addresses though, I pass them as arrays to the module so I can tweak them if the panel design calls for it.
  • OK, I'm tracking. I was using the AMX provided Tandberg MXP module as my example to follow. For our Tandberg applications, the only capability the users have are: mic on/off, camera PTZ functions, and input select. That being the case, all of the phonebook functions, dialing functions, setting functions, are just taking up space. The AMX provided Tandberg module is fine as is, but my personal preference is not to have 200 lines of GNDN code. The actual comm module I was not going to touch, but the UI module I tossed aside and wrote my own. That was where I ran into the issue of having the Extron switch make moves and the plasma screens make moves.

If I am correctly understanding you guys, I should ditch the idea of having seperate UI modules for each device. Instead I should have comm modules for each device and then pass the commands to them via the main code or through DO_PUSHes of a virtual TP.

A press of button 1 needs to switch the Tandberg to the main cam input, wake the Tandberg if asleep, switch the plasma screens to the proper input, select Input 1 to Output 1 video on the Extron, hide the current pop-up on the TP and open the camera PTZ pop-up, and light the Main Cam input selection button. If I give all of the horsepower to the comm modules, then the only thing the main program needs to do is pass the info to the Tandberg, Extron, and plasma comm modules, and send the pop-up commands to the TP. The comm modules would take that info, do the manual labor required to make the action happen and pass the feedback back to the main program for parsing. Is that the right idea?
  • That sounds good. I even break up the main code to AXI's. This makes it easier to move code to other projects. IE all of my Audio Conference TP functions go in a seperate AXI. It's not a module so it cannot be compiled. You must save changes then compile the main code.
  • The pre-packaged AMX UI module for Tandberg has as a data event:
    DATA_EVENT[vdvTandberg_MXP]
    {
      COMMAND:
      {
         mPort = DATA.DEVICE.PORT
         SEND_STRING 0, "'UI rcvd from COMM on Port ',ITOA(mPort),' :',data.text"
         SWITCH(remove_string(data.text,'-',1))
         {
             CASE 'CALL-':
             {
                  integer line
                  line = atoi(data.text)
                  if(line>MAX_LINES_SUPPORTED) break;
                  remove_string(data.text,',',1)
                  if(find_string(data.text,'Connected',1) || find_string(data.text,'Synced',1))
                  {
                       mLineState[line] = CONFERENCE_STATE[3]
                  }
             }
         }
      }
    }

It goes on and on, but I am not going to write the whole thing. Line by line:

COMMAND: defines a section in the data event handler for processing send command instructions.

mPort = DATA.DEVICE.PORT = in this instance, mPort is going to equal 1 because my virtual Tandberg is declared as 41001:1:0.

SEND_STRING 0, "'UI rcvd from COMM on Port ',ITOA(mPort),' :',data.text" This is going to send to the master "'UI rcvd from COMM on Port 1: whatever data.text happens to be

SWITCH(remove_string(data.text,'-',1)) this removes everything in data.text up to and including the hypen.

This is where I think the horsepower from the comm module comes into play. Somewhere in the program, some event triggered an "are you in a call?" status check. Data.text is going to be the reply back from the comm module mixed with data from the real Tandberg. If the comm module quearies call 1, the real Tandberg is going to reply back with *s Call 1 (status=Synced, type=whatever, whatever, and on and on)

line = atoi(data.text) this will now equal 1 and since it is not greater than the max lines supported, we move on.

remove_string(data.text,',',1) is now going to = (status=Synced,

The UI module will find its target word, "Synced" and report back that mLineState[1] = CONFERENCE_STATE[3].

mLineState is declared as: volatile_char m_LineState[MAX_LINES][15]
    CONFERNECE_STATE = char CONFERENCE_STATE[5][15] = {'Idle', 'Negotiating', 'Connected', 'Ringing', 'Dialing'}

MAX_LINES = 11

So, the TP would then show that call number 1 was connected.

Am I right in my calculations?

If the main program is going to serve as the UI to the comm modules, data events such as this will need to remain in the main program right? Or, if I used includes to handle Tandberg functions, would these types of things would go there instead?
  • It all depends on what you want to do in the COMM Module. Maybe you could define channels 101 to 105 as the connected calls so if channel 101 is on line one is connected. Doing this would allow for systems connected Master to Master or RMS to easy track a line connection.

Feedback for the Local system might look like this

[dvTP_Tandberg,1] = [dvTandberg,101]

This could be in a timeline_event or in define program. The beauty of writing you own module is that you could make it do one thing or many things.
  • "'Oh I see,' said the blind man." I think I have this, but please stop my logic if I am going in the wrong direction.

The beauty of having virtual devices, comm modules, UI modules, or includes, is that I, as the programmer, have complete control over them. If I ever go to a job site where some guy has created a crazy TP, or job sites with multiple TP's, or any other type of situation, I would still be able to maintain my level of control without having to stress too much about it. All I would need to do would be to drop my modules, includes, and virtual devices into the source code, have the main souce code interact with the real TP's as well as send DO_PUSHes to my virtual TP's (which will always be the same) or SEND_COMMANDs directly to the virtual devices themselves. The feedback on the real TP(s) would be based on the feedback to the virtual TP's. That way, my modules would totally be "modular" and all I would need to do would be some tweaking of the main source code to make sure button arrays are correct.

Following that logic and using the same example with the Tandberg and the Extron switch, I think I have my plan. The comm modules for both are included in my program via AXI's. Included in those AXI's are the button arrays for the virtual TP's needed for the levels of control I want. The main source code uses DO_PUSHes, DO_RELEASEs, and DO_PUSH_INFINITEs to poke the buttons of the virtual Tandberg TP and the virtual Extron TP. The feed back on the real TP(s) would be something like:
    [dvTP,1] = [vdvTP_Tandberg,1]
  • You could do that but everyone has there opinion. My opinion is DO_PUSH is like GOTO in the Basic Programming Language. You become overwhelmed in finding what the DO_PUSHes do. If you want to use functionality in the INCLUDE in another area of the project like select the input on the Tandberg, Just make a function in the include that is specific for changing the input on the Tandberg.
    define_function integer TANDinput(integer input)
    {
      switch (input)
      {
         case 1:
         case 2:
         case 3:
         {
            send_command vdvTAND,'INPUT-1'
         }
         case 4:
         case 5:
         {
            send_command vdvTAND,'INPUT-4'
         }
         case 6:
         case 7:
         case 8:
         {
            send_command vdvTAND,'INPUT-3'
         }

}
    }

So when you select input 5 on the extron and
    TANDinput(5) the Tandberg would select input 4. This keeps the AXI modular but allows you to see that you're selecting an input on the tandberg. This could be used anywhere in your project.
  • Wow. That was a low hit. ;) The only time I have ever gotten away with GOTO's was my first BASIC class.
    10 Print "My Name is Jeff"
    20 GOTO 10

Any other time I have tried to sneak in a GOTO, that was serious point deductions.
  • Just an opinion. In working on code from other programmers. DO_PUSH(dvTP,100) makes me have to go to the TP to see what that button is for then search for 100 in the program to see what is programmed. Plus unintended problems occurs if I desire to change the function of button 100 but not the button that calls button 100.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Since I try to make things as reusable as possible, my device control modules often contain the UI code as well. I find no reason to seperate device comm from UI code unless you are packaging them seperately as AMX does in their modules. I bring in a DEV array of UI devices from the main program allowing UIs to be added or removed from the system without modifying any module code.

I have gotten away from SEND-COMMAND and SEND_STRING for simpler module functions. I have gotten more into DO_PUSH_TIMED_INFINITE and DO_RELEASE as some other programmers like to use. I find it much easier to report a status with a channel event or a level than a character string that has to be parsed. Strings have their place in more complex communications.

When writing a module, I try to build in all possible functionality that a piece of hardware could provide in the current project and those in the future.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    Just an opinion. In working on code from other programmers. DO_PUSH(dvTP,100) makes me have to go to the TP to see what that button is for then search for 100 in the program to see what is programmed. Plus unintended problems occurs if I desire to change the function of button 100 but not the button that calls button 100.

It isn't very often I write a do_push on a TP although it has come in handy on a few occasions. Far more often I do a do_push_timed to a virtual with a constant identifier like this do_push_timed(vdvRcvr, cnPowerOn, 1). No need to look up anything to determine what is going on.
    Paul
  • Feedback Questions

OK, this is where I am. I ditched everything I had up to this point and started with a clean slate. I wrote a comm module for an NEC LCD4010. Right now I am working with volume ramping. I created the comm module in such a way so that in the main program or include or wherever the proper place for interfacing with a module should be, the command sent to the virtual LCD is VOLUME-xx. When that is passed to the module, it strips VOLUME- and uses the digits to create volume level strings. Inside the comm module, I have all of the regular data events for the LCD, like setting the baud rate, etc. I also created a buffer for the real LCD to parse reply strings, and pass that info back to a text button on the TP. So if the volume is 50, the text button displays a 50. Everything works as is. I am a little confused on how to interact with it to keep it entirely "modular". There are no button events in the comm module. The button events, I think, should either be in a seperate AXI or in the main program. Wherever thay are, that is where the SEND_COMMANDs would generate. The feedback is what I am hung on. Where should the comm module pass the feedback? WOuld it be better if I made my comm module channel driven? Things like input source or off/on states would be easy to handle via channel events. However, what about variable text events? Like if I wanted to drive a bargraph based on the current volume setting?
  • I would send strings back out to the virtual device so if you send VOLUME-? the module would send VOLUME-93 to the virtual device for the NEC LCD. Then in the data event for the virtual device of the LCD in the main program, grab the string and send it to the TP. Something like this...
    DATA_EVENT[vdvNEClcd]
    {
      string:
      {
        if (find_string(data.text,'VOLUME-',1))
        { 
           remove_string(data.text,'VOLUME-',1)
           send_string dvTP,"'TEXT1-',data.text"
        }
      }
    }

You could do this same thing if you want to send out text status of the display. But as for channel status, I typically use a channel on the real device. AMX uses channels on the virtual device. I use channels on the virtual device to control the LCD and I use send_commands to the virtual device.

I believe this allows for a fully independent module.
  • I guess I am just missing the big picture. Here is what I had:

Main Code:
    DEFINE_DEVICE
    dvTP   		= 	10001:1:0 

//Virtual Devices
    vdvNEC_LCD = 	32768:1:0  	// Virtual LCD

DEFINE_MODULE 'NEC_LCD' comm1(vdvNEC_LCD,dvLCD,dvTP, nLCD_BTN)

BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,6] //VOLUME UP 
    {
    	PUSH:
    	{
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD, "'VOLUME-',ITOA(nVol)"
    	}
    	HOLD[5,REPEAT]:
    	{
    		SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD, "'VOLUME-',ITOA(nVol)"
    	}
    }

Eventually I was going to put together a button array, but I had not done it yet. That is why I was sending a direct BUTTON_EVENT instead of a reference to an array.

Module:
    MODULE_NAME='NEC_LCD'(DEV vdvNEC_LCD, DEV dvLCD, DEV dvTP, INTEGER nLCD_BTN[])

DATA_EVENT[vdvNEC_LCD]
    {
        COMMAND:
        {
    	SWITCH(REMOVE_STRING(DATA.TEXT,'-',1))
    	{
    	    CASE 'VOLUME-':
    	    {
    		nVolume = ATOI(DATA.TEXT)
    	    }
    	}
        }
    }
    DATA_EVENT[dvLCD]
    {
       STRING:
        {
    	WHILE (FIND_STRING(cLCD_BUFF,"13",1))
    	{
    	    LOCAL_VAR CHAR cMSG[50]
    	    cMSG = REMOVE_STRING(cLCD_BUFF, "13",1)
    	    IF ((LENGTH_STRING(cMSG)>6))
    	    {
    		SET_LENGTH_STRING(cMSG,LENGTH_STRING(cMSG) - 3)
    		nVol_LVL = HEXTOI(RIGHT_STRING(cMSG,4))
    	    }
    	}
        } 
    }

That was round number 1. It worked great. It just not feel like a true module to me. So, I was going to re-do it. My plan was to use CHANNEL_EVENTs to send the strings to the real LCD. The main program through an include, would press the virtual buttons that would control the actual SEND_STRINGs to the real LCD. Maybe I am skipping a step somewhere. My plan was to have the button array in an include. The buttons in the array could match up to the channels in the module or not, it really wouldn't matter. If dvTP,1 was pressed, that would activate whatever channel needed to be activated in the module. Something like:
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,1]
    {
           PUSH:
           {
                   PULSE[vdvNEC_LCD,22]
           }
    }

Or ON it or OFF it or whatever. When you do it, you would send a channel event to a virtual device that controls the real LCD and you would issue SEND_COMMANDs to that virtual device? Something like:
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,1]
    {
           PUSH:
           {
                  SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD,'VOLUME UP'
           }
           RELEASE:
           {
                   SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD,'VOLUME STOP'
           }
    }

And in the module "VOLUME UP' would cause an ON of whatever channel ramps the volume? Then the real TP, I assume, would get its feedback from the channel actions from the module? I think you were referring to that earlier. SOmething like:

[dvTP, 1] = [vdvNEC_LCD,101]
  • Keep in mind that if you're going to use channel events in the module, you would need to pulse the channel to make the event work. A button press works only for a button event. I that case you would need to do a DO_PUSH because the devices that generate a button event is a button panel or a touch panel. I personally pulse a channel on the virtual device of the module to control the real device. This is the way AMX modules work. Using channel events also allow control without using a touch panel.

As far as the volume control, it's probably far mmore effective to uses 2 channels for volume ramping. Instead of sending a command to start and stop the ramp, just hold the channel with a TO command. The module code would probably have a statement in a repeating timeline or DEFINE_PROGRAM like this...
    If ([vdvDevice,26])
    {
      wait 3
      {
         if (volume<100) volume++
         send_string dvDevice,"'volumecontrolstring',itoa(volume)"
      }

}
    If ([vdvDevice,27])
    {
      wait 3
      {
         if (volume>1) volume--
         send_string dvDevice,"'volumecontrolstring',itoa(volume)"
      }

}

The ramp occurs when the channel goes high.

Please keep in mind that you as a programmer can do whatever you want to do with modules. AMX has set standards for module creation. I don't always adhere to them but I think it is wise to interact with a realdevice through a virtual device with the use of channels and send_commands. The module interacts with the real device through send string and manages statuses with channels on the real device. Channels reported to the programmer should be on the virtual device. As in channel 255 on the virtual device reports the power status of displays (ON or OFF). Notice I make no mention of a Touch panel. That functionality is left for the UI Module. (AMX)
    In the last 2 code examples you have a button push in your main/axi but you're showing a button event in the module not a channel event. Pulsing a devchan won't trigger a button_event only a channel_event. Now with a channel event you won't be able to do a hold unless you start and stop a timeline in the module but if you change to do_push's on your module's virtual and then do a button_event you can but you have to use DO_PUSH_TIMED(vdvTP_Device,nBtnPushed,DO_PUSH_TIMED_INFINITE). Make sure you follow it with a do_release otherwise you will never be able to push the button again and have it do anything since it won't time out like with a regular do_push and the master will have it as "ON" and not issue the command again.

In your 1st code example your not incrementing your nVol variable prior to your send command but I'm sure you've already noticed.
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,6] //VOLUME UP 

{
         PUSH:
    	  {
    	  nVol ++ ;
    	  SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD, "'VOLUME-',ITOA(nVol)" ;
    	  }
         HOLD[5,REPEAT]:
    	  {
    	  nVol ++ ;
    	  SEND_COMMAND vdvNEC_LCD, "'VOLUME-',ITOA(nVol)" ;
    	  }
         }

Eventually I was going to put together a button array, but I had not done it yet.
    I usually use arrays too but they aren't all that necassary for most modules since we have so many ports available most devices with a lot of buttons won't usually be combined with another device on the same port so button channel number changing is rarely needed. I'll often just do this:
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,BUTTON.INPUT.CHANNEL] //VOLUME UP 

{
         PUSH:

And trap all the button pushes and it doesn't have the hold and other problems that BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,0] has.
    kbeattyAMX wrote:
    Using channel events also allow control without using a touch panel.
    In the module you just create a virtual TP which isn't any different from creating a virtual device since a virtual is a virtual and we can call it what ever we like. If you mean control from NS2 you can just go to diagnostics and "emulate a device".

Either way works fine whether it's a channel_event or button_event. The last module I did I used the do_push_timed that I mentioned ealier to control the module and then channel and level events in the module to handle my feedback back the the main/axi. and I guess the only reason I used the button_event method was to avoid a timeline in the module. I think I was just hell bent on getting a hold to work in the module.
  • vining wrote: »
    In your 1st code example your not incrementing your nVol variable prior to your send command but I'm sure you've already noticed.

In the real code, nVol is a value that is sent to a call that increments or decrements it. It then gets sent to a function that does all of the combobulations and the function sends it to the LCD as a hex string in the format the NEC is looking for. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Thanks everyone for all of the help. I am going to let all of this simmer in my head for a bit. I'll send my next revision tomorrow.