Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Serial-USB

It's been a while since I've had to think about this, but I've been looking at new, inexpensive laptops and it seems that most of them don't have a serial port. I remember way back that the USB-Serial adapters did not work with Netlinx Studio, but I'm not sure if anything has changed since. This would be for basic setup of IP in a master so I can then use ethernet to do everything.

Thanks.

Joe

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Wow, you haven't been looking at laptops for a while cuz I stopped finding DB9 serial jacks about three laptops ago.

I've been using an ATEN USB to serial bridge for years w/o any problems.
  • Dell still sells laptops with a DB9 connector. Mine is a Latitude D820.

The USB to Serial adaptor proven to work with Studio is made be Keyspan.
    B-Clements wrote:
    Dell still sells laptops with a DB9 connector. Mine is a Latitude D820.
    Was that a build option or a standard feature?

The ATEN GUC232A I use is made by IOGear.
  • A DB9 serial port is standard on the Latitude D8xx and D6xx series. My D810 has one too.
  • banobano Posts: 173
    Joe wrote:
    It's been a while since I've had to think about this, but I've been looking at new, inexpensive laptops and it seems that most of them don't have a serial port. I remember way back that the USB-Serial adapters did not work with Netlinx Studio, but I'm not sure if anything has changed since. This would be for basic setup of IP in a master so I can then use ethernet to do everything.

Thanks.

Joe

I use the keyspan usb to serial adapter....works perfect.
  • I'm also using a Keyspan USA-19HS with Windows Vista with no problems.

--John
  • Other idea would be a PCMCIA RS-232 card. They have a real UART chip, so it is a real RS-232.

Our experience is that a USB-Serial is working for simple things like terminal, but runs into problems i.e. for firmware downloads or diagnostics. This we found is caused by the fact that some USB-Serial adaptors are not capable to transmit and receive the same time (simple test: short TX and RX and check what's coming back...)

Other laptop with real RS-232 is from Acer Travelmate 6460 series (I applied the 6465 as my new notebook from our IT - hope I get it :-)).
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I had nothing but problems with my USB-serial interface so I got an unit that plugs into the same slot as my DVD player, works great !! All I need to do now is remove it if I need to use the DVD.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm using the Keyspan as well; but once in a blue moon if I try to download from a device (like a Lutron system) at high speeds, I'll get a blue-screen crash. If I lower the baud rate when that happens, it's fine.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I had problems with the USB converter but since getting the PCMCIA RS-232 card, it works great..
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I have a couple like this:
    http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-4&cats=199&catid=199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

I have used them for a couple years, and I have yet to run into a time when they did not work. I have ran it at 115.2 kilobaud a few times as well and it has worked flawlessly. They are also cheap which is nice. It is any of the ones that use the FDTI chip for 232.

Ryan
  • RVanceRVance Posts: 14
    I'm trying to capture IR codes with an IRIS and IREdit using a USB to serial adapter. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this? IREdit keeps giving me this error message: "Error getting com ports. Received the following error message: Unknown error occurred." and when I hit "Send" on the IRIS the nd led flashes at me. I have the IO Gear GUC-232A, and it works find loading code and IR files. I also have a Radio Shack USB to Serial adapter, but it seems pretty flaky, it keeps timing out when transferring large code files and ir files. I also have a Micro Innovations USB610A, but I can't find a free driver online for it, so I haven't had a chance to test it.

Thanks!
  • Signed MS Drivers

Make sure your adaptor has Windows drivers that are Microsoft XP signed and tested. I once had a cheap adaptor that only had 98 and NT drivers. It never did work properly so I ended up buying the Keyspan adaptor.
  • I've got myself an Asus with a RS 232 on it.
    It's an Asus Z91F

Don't know if it was a limited edition or whatever tho. But Asus sometimes does Laptops with 1 conector optional, where you choose what you'll get there.

Had any luck at all with Serial-USB adaptors.
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    serial port solution

Hey Joe,

When I got my newest laptop (6 months ago), I was able to locate
    a dual-serial port card for the ExpressCard-34 size format.

The card is made by SIIG Inc.

It is a CyberSerial Dual ExpressCard.

Having 2 active serial ports comes in very handy.
  • Serial ports

IBM has a plug in device that goes in the same slot as your CD/DVD drive on a Thinkpad. All of our service techs got them and say they are really nice, works just like a hardwired port, DOS prompt and all.

I have a Keyspan, haven't had it fail on me yet.
  • vining wrote: »
    Wow, you haven't been looking at laptops for a while cuz I stopped finding DB9 serial jacks about three laptops ago.

I've been using an ATEN USB to serial bridge for years w/o any problems.

I purchased an ATEN USB to serial but the master keeps going offline when I use it. I fiddled with the transfer buffers and now I can't seem to get it to work. I'm sure there is something I'm not doing right. It runs a console window just fine and RealTerm works. Model UC-232A
    I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm using (label is gone) and have never had any problem.