Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Access Netlinx master through web

Hi Experts,

I would like to know is there anyway to access netlinx controller through web. If something goes wrong with touch panel and it stop working and still want to access netlinx master to control some function, is there any way to do it ??

Thanks in Advance ...

MC78

Comments

• Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    In short, no.

In long:
    There is a web interface but it only allows you to send strings and commands directly to devices, for which you will need to know the devices control protocols. To access it point *insert favorite web browser here* to your master's IP address you'll be greeted with the web control. From there you can access any G3 web panels that are on you master or send commands and strings via system>control/emulate in the same way NS diagnostics allows. There are other solutions around and it is possible to set up web based gateways (static html, ajax, flash etc) however all of these require a bit of programming in order to set up. Hell, if you wanted you could attach a rope to a goat, so that when you put food in front of it it would walk forward, pulling close a contact closure, which turns on a light, which is picked up by a sensor, which your master monitors and in turn send a command telling your tv to turn on. Perhaps not the neatest solution, but its a control system, you give it input and it will give you output, the way that is done completely depends on how the system is put together and programmed.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply
    PhreaK wrote: »
    In short, no.

In long:
    There is a web interface but it only allows you to send strings and commands directly to devices, for which you will need to know the devices control protocols. To access it point *insert favorite web browser here* to your master's IP address you'll be greeted with the web control. From there you can access any G3 web panels that are on you master or send commands and strings via system>control/emulate in the same way NS diagnostics allows. There are other solutions around and it is possible to set up web based gateways (static html, ajax, flash etc) however all of these require a bit of programming in order to set up. Hell, if you wanted you could attach a rope to a goat, so that when you put food in front of it it would walk forward, pulling close a contact closure, which turns on a light, which is picked up by a sensor, which your master monitors and in turn send a command telling your tv to turn on. Perhaps not the neatest solution, but its a control system, you give it input and it will give you output, the way that is done completely depends on how the system is put together and programmed.

Thanks for your reply. So there is no way to access NetLinx Controller if touch panel is not alive or in network. But if I understood correctly then if Touch Panel is alive or in network and G4 compatible then we can access touch panel via G4 Web control ... m i right ?? Please correct me if I am wrong ...
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Yep, sorry forgot to mention that. If you've got a G4 panel that's alive on your network you can VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/) into it.
  • Options
    It is possible in TP3`
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Yep, sorry forgot to mention that. If you've got a G4 panel that's alive on your network you can VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/) into it.

Just for your information, I recently called a tech support here in AMX Australia and found out that it is possible to do it in TP3. TP3 allows you to save touch panel in html format to reside in netLinx Master and then you can access that HTML page to control NetLinx Master ...

I havent tried yet but I m planning to give it a go. It is really an useful feature ...

:)
  • Options
    jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    As a thought

You can always telnet into your master and do pulse or a push. You can also telnet into the panel...if its not completely locked up and reboot it. Just throwing out some options.
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    There is also the "Virtual Keypad". This route also requires additional programming, but provides a way to control a system without a touch panel.
  • Options
    If you are using G3 panels in your system, it good practice to save it as a WEBinterface and load it for remote control. Just do a DEFINE_COMBINE to connect the Webpanel to the real one. Make sure that a Virtual Panel is the root device in the COMBINE so the WEB panel would continue to operate when the real TP goes offline.

It's more work to have a WEBcontrol when you loose a G4 TP. Basically you have to create a duplicate TP in G3 and load it as a webpage. Be aware that JAVA enabled systems have less resources for WEBpanels on the NI webserver.

Don't forget, you have Emulate device in NS2 so if you can connect with NS2 you and manually control stuff that way.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Hi Ken! Have you tried G3 web control lately? I have heard rumors that it has become flaky with later Netlinx firmwares. I have not used it in years.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Hi Ken! Have you tried G3 web control lately? I have heard rumors that it has become flaky with later Netlinx firmwares. I have not used it in years.

My history with it has been so-so. we used it on some places and it worked alright until the client upgraded to Windoze Vista. The line at AMX at that time was tough-toenales...

However, now it seems it's supported again. You log into the master's web page and it shows up there. I've found it to work on XP and Vista fairly well. Just don't do too much with graphics or whacky feedback stuff. Keep it simple and it seems to work.

Who's to say how long this will last? I'm not taking bets.
  • Options
    Agreed! Tech Support only... Don't give it to the user.