Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD4 - 2.10.0 Build 606

Okay, I've just gotta say:
AWESOME JOB AMX!!!!!

I love it! They made a few changes that I just am excited about. I'm so happy that they put in an optional warning setting when deleting resources . . . if it's used on a button, it'll warn you. I just wish it would allow you to see which buttons have it rather than just listing them - but it's a great start. It has a slightly new layout towards the bottom - or at least one I'm not quite used to. Just like in NS2, it has an online/offline indicator, the ability to switch between button properties on the bottom (i.e. instead of button location & size, you can view the port and channel of a button just by hovering over it with your mouse), and it hasn't crashed as much as the previous version. I dunno - my reasons may seem silly, but I'm enjoying this version much more than the last.

So . . . all in all - good job AMX and the development team. This is the kind of software I expect to see from a top notch company. Now get the guys that worked on this to work on NS2! :D

Comments

• There seem some dandy upgrades, so thank you AMX. I did pretty quickly find one bug, however - not a debilitating one, but one that would get obnoxious pretty quickly.

Here's a picture of my workspace after resizing the docked window vertically:
    WorkspaceBug.jpg

If I minimize and restore the program, or select one of the invisible names, then it appears again. I'm guessing this is a Vista problem (using Vista Home Premium) seeing as it buffers differently than XP. If I had to guess, it's loading to the secondary buffer (and therefore, "rendering"), but the second buffer isn't refreshing thereafter - as Vista double buffers automatically (but not very well) and XP doesn't.

Otherwise, looks good AMX. :)
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    There seem some dandy upgrades, so thank you AMX. I did pretty quickly find one bug, however - not a debilitating one, but one that would get obnoxious pretty quickly.

Here's a picture of my workspace after resizing the docked window vertically:
    WorkspaceBug.jpg

If I minimize and restore the program, or select one of the invisible names, then it appears again. I'm guessing this is a Vista problem (using Vista Home Premium) seeing as it buffers differently than XP. If I had to guess, it's loading to the secondary buffer (and therefore, "rendering"), but the second buffer isn't refreshing thereafter - as Vista double buffers automatically (but not very well) and XP doesn't.

Otherwise, looks good AMX. :)

I saw this problem once since upgrading. I wasn't too concerned about it since it was something I had to deal with in the older version (except much more often.) I'm using XP by the way.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I have this issue as well. I had never seen this with any previous versions of TPD4 (not sure what version I was using most recently). I'm running Vista Business SP1.
  • jjames wrote: »
    I saw this problem once since upgrading. I wasn't too concerned about it since it was something I had to deal with in the older version (except much more often.) I'm using XP by the way.
    If the issue happens more often in XP then the problem is reverse: in Vista the secondary buffer apparently was drawn in the old version - likely an implicit OS function in response to a window action. But now in the new version even the secondary buffer isn't being drawn in response to the window's event - which suggests to me that the event is being contained within the window, and the Paint (or whatever, depending on what the application is written in) event isn't being fired upon the resize event.

Once again, an educated guess. :)
    Is it just me or is it no longer possible to dock a toolbar in the vertical space between the left column (for example the Workspace) and the page display area? I can get a toolbar to dock anywhere along the outside edge of the program window, but I can not get it to dock vertically right next to the work area.

On the plus side, moving things like the Workspace and Page Properties bring up the nifty overlay arrows to choose where to dock...pretty sweet.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Okay since jjames gave this build the thumbs up I will try it out.
    jjames wrote: »
    Now get the guys that worked on this to work on NS2! :D
    You mean NS3.. :-!
    mpullin wrote: »
    Okay since jjames gave this build the thumbs up I will try it out.
    You mean NS3.. :-!

Uh-oh! You're putting a lot of confidence in my opinion . . . not sure if that's a great idea! But seriously - I haven't run into anything crazy yet so . . . and the find and replace works great too! Just used it. :D So, nothing critical seems broke . . .

And yeah, I meant NS3 - :D
  • Shame... I was really hoping it will support "Send to G4 panel preview" for MVP-5210. It gets frustrating at times to check the flips, when you have to close TP4 and open the project separately in G4PP
  • Connection Status

I noticed that if you connect TPD4 to a master while Studio is connected to the same master, the Studio Online Tree will indicate this "device" much like having two sessions of Studio connected to the same master.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    B_Clements wrote: »
    I noticed that if you connect TPD4 to a master while Studio is connected to the same master, the Studio Online Tree will indicate this "device" much like having two sessions of Studio connected to the same master.
    I believe it's been that way for a long time, at least for as long as I can remember.
  • Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I believe it's been that way for a long time, at least for as long as I can remember.

If that is true, I never noticed before. :o
  • Colzie wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it no longer possible to dock a toolbar in the vertical space between the left column (for example the Workspace) and the page display area? I can get a toolbar to dock anywhere along the outside edge of the program window, but I can not get it to dock vertically right next to the work area.

Ok this is really annoying to me - I have always used the area to the right of the workspace and properties areas for my button alingment and sizing tools. Now my mouse doesn't know where to go to find them. Poor thing.
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Does anyone know if in this version of TPD4, panel preview supports the R4?
  • JohnMichnr wrote: »
    Ok this is really annoying to me - I have always used the area to the right of the workspace and properties areas for my button alingment and sizing tools. Now my mouse doesn't know where to go to find them. Poor thing.
    A technote was released about how to dock the windows: http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=892
    The technote applies to things like Workspace, Properties, State Manager, etc., but not to Toolbars.

As far as I can tell, all Toolbars are relegated to the outer edges of the program window.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Well, it certainly is a sexier look at any rate.

I still wish you could select multiple popups/pages and do things like copy/paste and whatnot. Oh well, perhaps next time...

If it just quits crashing, I'll be very happy.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    If it just quits crashing, I'll be very happy.

It doesn't. I always save before a load; the slightest interruption in the connection does not result in anything so neat as a timeout or transfer fail, it just crashes the program with an invalid memory access message. The new version doesn't address this in any significant fashion.
    I guess I'm a lucky one. My TP4 rarely crashes.

I always save before transferring - maybe I've been conditioned to do this because of crashing in the past?
    Mine crashes every now and then, but so does NS2 - and like TPD4 - it's just as I'm about to transfer. The difference though is with NS2, even after it says it wants to close - you can save your project and all your files before closing it out. NS2 doesn't actually freeze.