Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

5200i Firmware Upgrade

Yesterday while at a job I decided to do the long awaited firmware upgrade for the MVP 5200i. This is a 2 part upgrade and since I had 5 of these panels to upgrade it took around 2 hours to do the complete precess for all 5 panels. A lot longer than I expected.

The upgrade went fine for all but 1 panel that after the final upgrade and reboot would not respond at all to touch. Fortunately the the scroll wheel button still responded and allowed to to get to the calibration sreen where I was able to touch and calibrate and afterwards everyhting was fine. I guess somehow the upgrade mad the TP loose it reference for touch or something but just on the one panel.

Since the upgrade took so long I didn't have much time to do a thorough check to make sure they were as functional as they were before the upgrade. Which I should have done since I've been bitten in the a$$ good on previous upgrades but time was running late. I did however get to work on one TP that has been having connection issues which so far has stayed online continuosly. I also ddi a roaming test between 2 APs channels 1 & 11 and the TP handed off very nicely when walking back and forth between the two. Never really checked the range but I am pleased with new raoming capabilty. I'll say new since it never really worked until now.

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Anyone else having problems of the panel just falling offline and not reconnecting until you reboot? I check the logs in the panel and here's what it says:

Socket connect attempt failed: No route to host (erno=0x71)

Any ideas?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems of the panel just falling offline and not reconnecting until you reboot? I check the logs in the panel and here's what it says:

Socket connect attempt failed: No route to host (erno=0x71)

Any ideas?

As an aside but related.

[rant]
    I have spent the last three weeks doing nothing but dealing with AMX wireless panels. I'm not exagerating. Nothing but AMX wireless panel problems.
    I'm starting to get gun shy even recommending them for installations.
    [/rant]
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I've had problems on and off with static addresses on the 5200's. When it does not connect check and see if the gateway address is missing. I've had this happen over and over again without any consistency to determine what is causing it. Usually, but not always, if I put the gateway back in and reboot everything is good again for awhile.
    glr-fti wrote: »
    I've had problems on and off with static addresses on the 5200's. When it does not connect check and see if the gateway address is missing. I've had this happen over and over again without any consistency to determine what is causing it. Usually, but not always, if I put the gateway back in and reboot everything is good again for awhile.

On a similar note (again)

I've had a few instances of the TP switching from WEP encryption to Open-Text. It's weird... we put in the correct SSID in the WEP page and put something totally bogus in the SSID of the Open page. When we catch the TP not communicating, we find that somehow the SSID name of the WAP is now in the Open Text. It was able to connect to the WAP but not get through to the network (and thus get an IP address)

In all cases, the clients say they did nothing and I believe them as they would have to have the admin password to get to the page.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    In all cases, the clients say they did nothing and I believe them as they would have to have the admin password to get to the page.

And . . . why would they want to change it in the first place anyway - right? So that things would stop working? :D
    jjames wrote: »
    And . . . why would they want to change it in the first place anyway - right? So that things would stop working? :D

Is there such a thing as Munchausen's by control system? :D
    Is there such a thing as Munchausen's by control system? :D

Hmmm - good point! ;)
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I've had a few instances of the TP switching from WEP encryption to Open-Text. It's weird... we put in the correct SSID in the WEP page and put something totally bogus in the SSID of the Open page. When we catch the TP not communicating, we find that somehow the SSID name of the WAP is now in the Open Text. It was able to connect to the WAP but not get through to the network (and thus get an IP address)

I was told by tech support to blank out any of the wireless options we were not using. This will make the panel skip over those type when trying to connect and this will make connections quicker. It might also reduce some of the problems you are having.

I did notice that at least one of the 5200 we received had a bunch of the wireless connection types set to internal AMX network info. After blanking the information out, the wireless connectivity has been better (but still not on par with the 8400s).

Jeff
  • ericmedley wrote: »

I've had a few instances of the TP switching from WEP encryption to Open-Text.

I was having that exact same problem with several 8400 panels. It seemed that if the panel was undocked or removed from power and went into shutdown for a period of time it would come up as Open Text upon reboot and wouldn't connect to the network. I updated the firmware and we haven't had problems for about 2 months whereas before it was happening at least once a week. I'll check the firmware revision that we used to make it go away.

--John
  • I was having that exact same problem with several 8400 panels
    It looks like it went away with 2.84.18. I believe the problem started for us with the firmware update just prior to that one.

--John
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I'm at 2.84.41 for the 8400 and I still have the problem occasionally.
  • I'm still having this issue with the wireless panels. I've got a 5200i where if it loses connection with the access point for any period of time it will revert to the wrong encryption type and won't be able to connect to the master anymore.

Is this solved yet, and if not how can I prevent this from happening. I've got a client who has to call me to get his panel working everytime he visits his vacation home. He's super irritated, and so am I. He keeps telling me his Creströn system doesn't have this problem and is wondering why we put AMX in his house when his other system works so well. This really stinks.

Thanks.

John
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    And then....
    I'm still having this issue with the wireless panels. I've got a 5200i where if it loses connection with the access point for any period of time it will revert to the wrong encryption type and won't be able to connect to the master anymore.

Is this solved yet, and if not how can I prevent this from happening. I've got a client who has to call me to get his panel working everytime he visits his vacation home. He's super irritated, and so am I. He keeps telling me his Creströn system doesn't have this problem and is wondering why we put AMX in his house when his other system works so well. This really stinks.

Thanks.

John

+1