Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Media Center PC

sonnysonny Posts: 208
Anyone done a project with a Microsoft Media Center PC? I think most of these come with a remote, so I guess capturing the codes is one way to go. Computer control could be another.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have, but you need to keep in mind that all a Media Center PC is is a regular PC running a Media Center version of Windows XP. The rest of the hardware can literally be anything you might find out there in the computer world. I handled the one I did by capturing the IR from the customer's wireless keyboard. That only works if it's IR and not RF or Bluetooth, though. He didn't need mouse control, but I've done that with other systems as well (which is not a happy prospect, mouse IR is really difficult to capture). You may want to look into simply running Computer Control on it, if you have a G4 panel on the job.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    It's been a while since I had to deal with the Media Center, but I'll share what I remember. First, the IR remote uses dual codes by default. There is a setting in the registry somewhere to disable this, but after some upgrades, the registry setting gets reset. I wasn't able to capture the keyboard codes because it was a wireless keyboard. I do have G4 computer control enabled, but because of the small panel size (MVP7500), the only way to make this option semi usable was to use screen scrolling and that isn't very user friendly. The client thought the media center meant the end of the line for custom installers and distributed A/V systems and insisted we install it (But we removed all responsibility from ourselves regarding the media center and making it work.) I think I have griped about this device in the past and I still don't like them.

On a side note, I recently attended a training session in which the instructor was trying to point out the benefit of having a media center in the showroom to instantly demo a variety of videos in 1080p.... the media center only errored out twice in the couple hours we used it.

Jeff

P.S.
    Also be aware of the increased pontential of virus infections causing troubles if the media center isn't properly secured.

sonny wrote:
    Anyone done a project with a Microsoft Media Center PC? I think most of these come with a remote, so I guess capturing the codes is one way to go. Computer control could be another.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I've seen, but haven't really paid attention to, discussions on a C-tron forum about IP control of a media center PC. I don't know if it was done with built-in features, or through a "helper" app, but it is being done...

- Chip
  • Options
    SlavikSlavik Posts: 18
    Mce

You can try to control media center with MCE.http://www.kindel.com/Default.aspx?tabid=25
  • Options
    I ended up capturing the remote but told the customer they would still need the keyboard for functions required keystrokes. I stayed away from the mouse. Works ok
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Controlling a PC

You may use girder for controlling _anything_ on a PC, including MCE.
    Find it on http://www.promixis.com/

Girder does serial, IR, TCP/IP, mouse and so on, lot of plugins exist
    and there is a scripting language for anything that isn't written yet.
  • Options
    brooklyn79brooklyn79 Posts: 32
    You may try using PCLink Web for mouse functions (if there's a touchpanel in your system).
  • Options
    I ended up capturing the remote, although I had to put IRIS in a special mode. Works pretty well using joystick control.
  • Options
    Take a look at this: http://www.autonomichome.com/ . Panel looks familiar, doesn't it? :)
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It seems a little odd that they show an MVP panel, list AMX as an Inconcert partner but theirs no listing for Autonomic Home on the AMX Inconcert site and in the Autonomic Home downloads section they have a demo ******** client module but no AMX.

It appears for $300.00 you can purchase the server software which acts as a bridge to Media Center using the open protocol that's free to download.

This looks very similar to the Roku server (hardware & software) that allows you to access internet radio stations and iTunes from an AMX TP (and other stuff). The protocol is very similar as well. I wrote a module (an axi.) for the Roku which is pretty cool but not all the bugs worked out and this looks like it would just as straight forward.

I just wonder where the pre-made module is?
  • Options
    Wow! I didn't know they ******** out the "C" word. Spiteful aren't they!
  • Options
    vining wrote:
    Wow! I didn't know they ******** out the "C" word. Spiteful aren't they!
    I think it's kind of funny, and from what I have seen of AMX employees, I think it was meant to be.

Anyway, I am guessing AMX is working on a module. Autonomic not only shows all their images with AMX equipment, but have the partner logo on their page as well. They have a C module on the download page, but advertise it as an "example" not necessarily a finished product.

I have a salesman pitching this to a customer as we speak, so I may be getting a hands-on more soon than late. I sure hope AMX has a module in development ... I've written Escient media server and MAX media server modules from scratch, and I do not relish starting over and doing it yet again with another product. At least this protocol is asynchronous - the synchronous aspects of the Escient protocol drove me to distraction. MAX is only marginally better.
  • Options
    TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    I have been working with the Autonomic API, and it works. They seem to be a good group of guys, I have it up and "running" on an 8400 panel at the office with to way browsing of mp3 media and browse by cover art.

I don't think it is a secret, but they are working with AMX (they have hardware at their office and AMX is working on a module). Chance of them being at CEDIA.

Anway, for those with loads of free-time the SDK for Media Center is out there and free, for those with less time, this seems to be a good option.

Curt
    Trikin
  • Options
    SlavikSlavik Posts: 18
    Controlling Front Row of Apple

Somebody have a idea how AMX can control Front Row of Apple? Front Row it something like MCE.
  • Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/telekinesis.html

You could hodge a mouse keyboard PS/2 controller to PS/2 USB adapter. Not an elegant solution but it would work.

This looks like it might make an interesting companion:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/eyetv.html
  • Options
    FYI; Here a response to an email I sent to Autonomic Controls.

From: 'Michael de Nigris (OEM and Integrator accounts at Autonomic Controls)

We are building the module internally for the reasons you mentioned. We will have a pre-release copy available by the end of this month, for those that request it, and we expect to have a polished module ready in time for CEDIA.

The first release will be a Netlinx module as that is the most straight forward implementation for now. We may follow up with a DUET module with DDD later this year, however, we are waiting for AMX to finalize the Duet Media Server API interface so that we can adhere to that standard.
  • Options
    Just received this:

From: 'Michael de Nigris (OEM and Integrator accounts at Autonomic Controls)
    [QOUTE]
    Dan,

As a follow up to my last e-mail, we now have a beta version of our Netlinx module and TP4 file for certified AMX dealers and programmers who would like to test it. Requests should be sent to information@autonomichome.com

-Michael.

[/QOUTE]
  • Options
    There's a NetLinx module that works with the Integra NVS-77 Media Center.

They demoed it at CEDIA Expo this year. Worked like a charm.

Eric
  • Options
    Front Row
    joelw wrote: »
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/telekinesis.html

You could hodge a mouse keyboard PS/2 controller to PS/2 USB adapter. Not an elegant solution but it would work.

This looks like it might make an interesting companion:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/eyetv.html

Any other links for controlling a mac's Front Row from an AMX system? That first link is dead.

Thanks,

-Mark
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    AVspec wrote: »
    Any other links for controlling a mac's Front Row from an AMX system? That first link is dead.

Thanks,

-Mark

Mark,

You can telnet to the Mac and issue Applescript using the osascript command:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man1/osascript.1.html

The Mac by default uses SSH for telnet, but that can be disabled.

FrontRow does not really support Applescript, but you can emulate keystrokes:
    osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 36'                       // Presses the "Return" key

You can also execute Applescript files that are on the Mac, but there is some latency doing that.

--D
  • Options
    dchristo wrote: »
    Mark,

You can telnet to the Mac and issue Applescript using the osascript command:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man1/osascript.1.html

The Mac by default uses SSH for telnet, but that can be disabled.

FrontRow does not really support Applescript, but you can emulate keystrokes:
    osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 36'                       // Presses the "Return" key

You can also execute Applescript files that are on the Mac, but there is some latency doing that.

--D

Thank you for the link and info Dave.

Any chance someone out there in the world already wrote the code to do this and has created TP4 panel files to go with it??? ;-)

I wish I had the time to play around with it but alas....

I like how Autonomic Controls has a complete solution for Windows but I hear it cost a "lot" of money. I have loaded the demo of Autonomics and it is very cool and fairly easy to setup and implement into my AMX system, so if someone has something for the Mac or a cheaper solution for windows platform, that would be nice.....
  • Options
    Are you looking for just audio or video too?

For an inexpensive audio solution you can get a Roku SoundBridge which can access both iTunes and WM Player or just about any UPNP/DLNA server. A SoundBridge is about $150.00

I use it with a Buffalo TeraByte server ($550.00) which has a built in DLNA server. I put that on my network and point my iTunes libary path to it so when I rip new CDs they go to the file on the TeraStation.

With this configuration I just have my TeraStation running 24/7 and I always have access to my music through the SoundBridge. The RoKu SoundBridge is an open protocol and easy to write a module for AMX.

There's also SlimServer which has a module on SourceForge.
  • Options
    Slim...
    vining wrote: »
    Are you looking for just audio or video too?

For an inexpensive audio solution you can get a Roku SoundBridge which can access both iTunes and WM Player or just about any UPNP/DLNA server. A SoundBridge is about $150.00

I use it with a Buffalo TeraByte server ($550.00) which has a built in DLNA server. I put that on my network and point my iTunes libary path to it so when I rip new CDs they go to the file on the TeraStation.

With this configuration I just have my TeraStation running 24/7 and I always have access to my music through the SoundBridge. The RoKu SoundBridge is an open protocol and easy to write a module for AMX.

There's also SlimServer which has a module on SourceForge.

Thank you Vining. Yes, I am just looking for a easy, and cheap (free) way to get all my music to show up on my touch panel and play through my system.

SlimServer looks like it might be just what I need and it is free on top of that! I looks like it is now called SqueezeCenter and they even have a MAC version of it!!!!

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

I have downloaded the software and I managed to find the AMX module and TP files on SourceForge just like you said I would be able to find there.

So I will give it a try over the weekend and see how it works.

Humm... I take it I also need a Squeeze Box unit to get this to work just like the Roku that you are using???

Thanks again,

-Mark