Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Java SMTP and Email

Has anyone found any email code that works with the netlinx masters? I found one java app that was written to add an email client to j2me devices, but it includes a lot of UI stuff that is unnecessary for use on an AMX processor. I am planning on pulling out the bits I need, but I figured I would check to see if anyone has found anything first (maybe even something included with Cafe Duet).

The main thing that I need is the ability to send an email with an attachment (or a few attachments).

The other thing I would be interested in is receiving emails, but this is not an immediate need.

Jeff

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Has anyone found any email code that works with the netlinx masters? I found one java app that was written to add an email client to j2me devices, but it includes a lot of UI stuff that is unnecessary for use on an AMX processor. I am planning on pulling out the bits I need, but I figured I would check to see if anyone has found anything first (maybe even something included with Cafe Duet).

The main thing that I need is the ability to send an email with an attachment (or a few attachments).

The other thing I would be interested in is receiving emails, but this is not an immediate need.

Jeff
    I"m still using the old EMail_out include file with success.

try this and see how it goes.

Note: I reloaded the zip file as the old one contained an error. This version is corrected. 12/02/08 - 8:40 Eastern
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I use the old email stuff as well, and it works well. The problem is that I am working on a duet module for configuration file backup and I want to add an email option to the module so that it automatically sends me up to date configuration backups automatically. This would be easiest if I can just implement a java SMTP method.

After seeing how easy it was to get a functional zip program in duet, I am getting spoiled :)

Jeff
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I use the old email stuff as well, and it works well. The problem is that I am working on a duet module for configuration file backup and I want to add an email option to the module so that it automatically sends me up to date configuration backups automatically. This would be easiest if I can just implement a java SMTP method.

After seeing how easy it was to get a functional zip program in duet, I am getting spoiled :)

Jeff
    Yeah,

While at Prog III part deux, I heard the Siren song of Duet. While it offered nothing that spectacular for all things AMX, it did open a whole bunch of possibilities beyond that made me want to come up the the 1.2 grand to start programming in JAVA.

alas and anon...
    e
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Does that file work like that?
    PROGRAM_NAME='i!-EmailOut'
    (*********************************************************************)
    (*  AMX Corporation                                                  *)
    (*  Copyright (c) 2000 - 2002 AMX Corporation. All rights reserved.  *)
    (*   please refer to EULA.TXT for software license agreement         *)
    (*                                                                   *)
    (*                      i!-Email  (1.1.8)                            *)
    (*                                                                   *)
    PROGRAM_NAME='i!-EmailOut'
    (***********************************************************)
    (*{{PS_SOURCE_INFO(PROGRAM STATS)                          *)
    (*  FILE CREATED ON: 08/03/2001 AT: 10:42:21               *)
    (*  FILE_LAST_MODIFIED_ON: 03/20/2003 AT: 23:13:17         *)
    (*  ORPHAN_FILE_PLATFORM: 1                                *)
    (*!!FILE REVISION: Rev 0                                   *)
    (*  REVISION DATE: 12/10/2002                              *)
    (*                                                         *)
    (*  COMMENTS:                                              *)
    (*                                                         *)

vining wrote: »
    Does that file work like that?

Oops, I think I did that by accident. I had to take out a couple lines of code that I put in that are custom to what I do and would hurt normal SMTP operations. Sorry about that.

I reloaded the file above.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    Did you ever come up with a solution?

Confronting the same issue, what to send emails within Duet. Is that Java code you found still available?