Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Touch panel nomenclature

I am in the process of redesigning the AMX touch panels in over 60 rooms to have a crestrony look. This is going well and am learning a lot in areas I never had to. The design 'team' wants the ability to mute the projector. Again no problem there. What we are struggling with is what to name the button. What syntax to use. PIX MUTE seems fine for all of us who know exactly what it means.
However the powers that be want this label more intuitive .
Picture muting
picture blanking
picture shuttering
all come to mind
Do any of you fine guys and gals have any others that have worked for you?
Thanks in advance.
Seems trivial but until we decide I am simply spinning my wheels as this button will be on many pages and I would like to finish this in this decade.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Here are a few more to consider:

Turn Off Picture

Blank Screen

Display Off

Bulb Off

Conserve Projector Bulb

Those are all I can think of right now.

Jeff
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    I usually go with "Image Mute"
    and I place it directly next to the "Mute" for program volume.
  • How about "Image ON" and "Image OFF"?
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    At a university, after MUCH discussion, we decided on "Blank Screen".
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Colzie wrote: »
    At a university, after MUCH discussion, we decided on "Blank Screen".

I would use Video Mute. Most people already know what an audio mute does, so you can use that mental model to allow the user to assume that it does the same thing as an audio mute, except that its video. If they don't know what video means, then there may be a need for some client education.

Blank screen doesn't indicate which screen. The touch panel screen, display screen, the projector screen?
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I like "See" & "No See". :rolleyes:
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I would use Video Mute. Most people already know what an audio mute does, so you can use that mental model to allow the user to assume that it does the same thing as an audio mute, except that its video. If they don't know what video means, then there may be a need for some client education.

Blank screen doesn't indicate which screen. The touch panel screen, display screen, the projector screen?
    Paul

I agree with your reasoning, as that was my exact train of thought. The people with the money were on a different train. ;)

In the end I got used to Blank Screen. It was aligned with all of the source buttons, but was round instead of square(ish) like the source buttons. They provided pretty good training for all the instructors using the systems, so in the end I don't know that the exact wording mattered as much as it seemed at the time.

If a user is looking for a button to make the screen go dark, any of the above suggestions will hint that direction.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I personally prefer "blank" for video, and "mute" for audio. I don't know anyone who has tried to "blank" an audio signal, but if they just see "mute" they may not be sure which one it refers to.

This reminds me of a time when we introduced video monitoring to some musicians who had been used to calling fold-back wedges "monitors" (or even "feedback"!). It took a little time to establish a new vocabulary which was clear ("fold-back"=audio, "monitor"=video), but once the common vocab was established it was obvious what everyone was talking about. I'm sure some people may disagree with the vocab we established, but the point is that the two terms were very distinct from each other. (We deliberately had to avoid "screen" for the video monitors, since there was also a large screen behind the musicians which showed different content.)

Just my 2 cents worth,
    Roger McLean
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Goes to show you the importance of good button labels. Almost as important as good variable names, a pet peeve of mine.
    Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Goes to show you the importance of good button labels. Almost as important as good variable names, a pet peeve of mine.
    Paul

My favorite button?

"More"
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    More cowbell?