Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

OT: Later Y'all

Well, it's been a good time, but I'm exiting the world of home automation and design. I've been programming and designing for Spire Integrated for a few years now, but now I'm moving on to an entirely different life. No more high-tech gadgetry or hours in some rich chap's basement; no more complaining about the shortcomings of AMX products, then recommending them to others; no more controversy over whether long variable names are better than short ones, if excessive comments are the way to go, or if the traditional ALL CAPS style of Netlinx is superior to the proliferating Java approach.

It's been fun, and thanks, everyone, for the help whenever I had a question; these forums have been immeasurably helpful and educational.

I'm off to Asia, then Brussels to serve the Lord as Academic Dean of the Brussels Master's Commission - that is, as a missionary. Have a good one, everyone. :)

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    My goodness! Well, all the best to you! Congratulations on the change. May the Lord bless your steps all the way. It's been a pleasure typing with you.
  • Options
    Did you have to raise your own support or is there a mission board support you?
  • Options
    It has been fun! Your farewell post cracks me up when you summarize it all :D.

It's great that you're putting faith into action.
    Since it's an OT post...
    I have a story about faith and belief that hopefully someone might enjoy.
    There were these two friends that were on a hike in the mountains. They got to a point where there was a chasm with a rope stretched across it. The only way across was on the rope. One friend turned to the other and said, do you think I can make it across? His friend thought about it for a bit and said to him "I believe you can". Then he asked, "do you think I can make it across carrying 400 lbs. on my back?" His friend thought about it, and again said, "I believe you can". Then he asked "do you think I could do it, with the 400 lbs. on my back and blindfolded?" His friend thought long and hard, and said "yes, I believe you can". Then he said, "well, hop on my back and I'll carry you across... you only weigh 175 lbs. and I'll do it without the blindfold..." His friend refused. It's one thing to believe in something, it's another to put that belief into action.

I've always enjoyed seeing your G.K. Chesterton quote in the sig line. I'll pray for you that the Lord will bless you and use you for His glory.

Take care!

--John
  • Options
    @EricMedley
    Thank you, it's been a pleasure typing with you as well. Your rendition of "O Holy Night", by the way, is marvelous. May the Lord bless your business and gifts.

@kbeattyAMX
    My ministry is essentially split into two divisions: First, my accompaniment on a trip to serve in Asia for some months; second is my active living as a missionary to Europe afterward. I've received a helpful stipulation from a Mission Board for the first trip, but they haven't yet discussed if they'll support me monthly in Europe.

Otherwise, honestly I didn't really have to do much; much of what I attempted to do fell through, and amazing provision came elsewhere from the Lord - further evidence of His humor. I own a business wherein the attempt is to be somewhat of a tent-maker (figuratively - that is, not ever become financial burden on ministries in need by receiving financial capability elsewhere). The financial aspect of this journey has been a most remarkable one, yet admittedly, the least of these.

@John Gonzales
    A fantastic story sir, and very encouraging. Since you gave such a story, I'll share with you another:

Recently, a married couple, both doctors, heard that Ravi Zacharias would be speaking at the local university in what would likely be another of his masterful presentations. Intent to go, they decided they'd invite a friend to join who would only do so under the strict circumstances that it would be at a university, and therefore, highly academic. So the trio attended, listened to Ravi, and left for home. To this point not a word had been spoken from their highly opinionated friend, which puzzled them greatly. So finally, as the woman was about to leave the couple and return to their home, the gentleman struck desperate conversation:

"Please," he started, "You haven't said anything about the evening. At least say something; tell us, what did you think."

The woman paused for a moment and simply stood their in thought. Finally she replied, "Very, very powerful... I wonder what he's like in his private life."

I encourage you to remember that as profound and powerful as faith may be, as persuasive as a proper argument may be, as kind as the noblest intent may be, it is folly if there is inconsistency and duplicity in your private life. Contrary to what a famous politician said, what happens in your private life should impact the rest of your life; it ought to. As Francis of Assisi put it, "Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words."

Thank you for your kind words.
  • Options
    as Francis of Assisi put it, "Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words."

One of my favorite quotes by St. Francis. I take that to heart. Thanks.

--John
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jason,

Congrats on your new endeavor! I hope you have enjoyed being part of the family here, and do remember - you always will be. I only wish we all could live like you and do what we are called to. I know most actually do, but imagine if everyone did. The world would truly be a better place.

Be safe, and enjoy your new mission!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    @EricMedley
    Thank you, it's been a pleasure typing with you as well. Your rendition of "O Holy Night", by the way, is marvelous. May the Lord bless your business and gifts.

Thanks! FYI - I put up another seasonal song that my daughter and I did a while back. It's on the site and is a medley of Angels We Have Heard On High and Away In A Manger. help yourself. The link is below.

There's an MP3 version for fast downloads and a .wav version for higher quaility (32mb) at the bottom of the page if you scroll down.
  • Options
    @Jeremiah James
    Thank you for the encouragement, it's a good thought but not exactly a novel one; it's the difference, in many lives, between the ideal and reality - the ideal, many believe, is the mere impossible and too unknown to become reality. Reality, therefore, becomes a misery, and Thoreau is then correct in saying, "Many men lead lives of quiet desperation." But I'm an optimist and maintain hope. :)

@Eric Medley
    Awesome, I'll check it out when I get a chance. :)
  • Options
    Best of luck on this new and completely different change in direction in your life. GB and all.