Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

OT: Vista Install

Greetings,

I have been fighting Vista as long as I could. Now I need to buy a new laptop and have decided to go Vista.

On previous PC purchases I had always reinstalled the OS right after purchase to do away with all the cheese that comes pre-loaded with PCs these days.

My questions:

Do Vista PCs come with a install CD for Vista that allows a clean install as earlier Windows versions did?

Is there anything very different about a Vista install than an XP?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Just in way of an FYI - MS has decided to pull development for Vista. They're sinking all their resources for the upcoming Windows Seven or whatever it will be called. Currently support for XP Pro is scheduled to last as long as Vista.

I cannot wait to get Vista off my home machine. I ran it dual boot for a while and the difference in performance from XP Pro to Vista was amazing. I keep Vista because we have so much stuff on it already and it'd be too much of a pain to redo it all. We use it for a Movie Server and email/web surfing. My wife has to log in to her work network and she has to switch over to XP to do that.

So, I'd stay XP Pro if you can.

I'm running all the AMX stuff on a Vista machine with few problems. However, the OS is still not very stable and still has lots of issues with all kinds of things like web apps and so forth. Other than that, it's great.

Just my honest opinion.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Indeed - stick with XP Pro. Although I'm running Windows Vista right now and have had very few problems with any AMX programs, I'd definitely prefer XP Pro on this machine.

This was the first time I heard MS was pouring all their resources into Windows 7 (which is the confirmed name.) I recently got a copy of Windows 7 Beta Build 6956 but have yet to install it. When I do, I'll definitely be trying to put some AMX programs on it. Apparently, W7 is going to be what Vista should have been.

Just read Build 7000 was out - gonna have to find that one. :D
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Just in way of an FYI - MS has decided to pull development for Vista. They're sinking all their resources for the upcoming Windows Seven or whatever it will be called. Currently support for XP Pro is scheduled to last as long as Vista.
    Ha! I just won a bet then. You have made me happy this day Eric Medley.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    mpullin wrote: »
    Ha! I just won a bet then. You have made me happy this day Eric Medley.
    Always happy to help!
  • Options
    ColinColin Posts: 51
    Experience with Vista

I am using Vista Business

I have it working OK, you need to turn off all of their "we want to protect you" stuff and install Telnet and grab a terminal replacement as Hyperterminal is not included. I've been using it now for a couple of years with no real troubles.

Cheers & Happy New Year to all

Colin
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Back to my original question....

Can Vista be clean installed by means of a provided CD?

Happy New Year!
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I believe so. In fact - I think you can just download the DVD and use it. Without a serial number, which should be provided on the laptop - the install lasts 30 days (i think).

Happy New Year!
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    My questions:
    Do Vista PCs come with a install CD for Vista that allows a clean install as earlier Windows versions did?
    I have a 3 month old Dell Vostro 1710. It came with an install disc. (I too always start from scratch).

Is there anything very different about a Vista install than an XP?

Thanks.
    It's a little quicker and easier.

My recommendations;
    Buy lots of RAM.
    As previously suggested, turn off all the "allow/disallow" stuff.
    If you don't need/want all the pretty stuff then turn it off. My laptop took off once I did this!

Cheers

Mush