Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Multi-zone B&K CT600.3

Anyone knows how to control it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    B&K has the serial control protocol very well documented on their website. Depending on which firmware version you are running, I think you might even be able to do control over IP. The product is actually very good and it sounds good, just be careful if you link the HD6 and the CT600. I think they have fixed the problems, but there used to be an issue with the link causing lock ups.

If you have any specific questions about the protocol, feel free to post them. I am fairly familiar with the protocol and I might be able to help.

Jeff

P.S.
    The HD6 with it's new ability to be a 15 source component switcher all the way up to 45 composite sources (all converted to component out) or any combination of the mix is super cool :) Just keep in mind that only 9 of the sources have buffered outputs.
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    Thanks!

I have only a CT600.3 with 3 B&K keypads controling the zones.

I'm using commands like these:
    SEND_COMMAND 5001:1,'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'

cable:

DB9-RJ45
    2-5
    3-4
    5-3 and 6

POWER ON ZONE 1(A): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,1=40;)' 
    POWER ON ZONE 2(B): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,2=40;)' 
    POWER ON ZONE 3(C): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,3=40;)'

POWER OFF ZONE 1(A): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,1=80;)' 
    POWER OFF ZONE 2(B): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,2=80;)' 
    POWER OFF ZONE 3(C): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,3=80;)' 

FM ZONE 1(A): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,1=71;)' 
    FM ZONE 2(B): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,2=71;)' 
    FM ZONE 3(C): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,3=71;)' 

INPUT 2 ZONE 1(A): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,1=90;)' 
    INPUT 4 ZONE 2(B): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,2=B0;)' 
    INPUT 7 ZONE 3(C): SEND_STRING 5001:1,'(0,S,I,3=D0;)' 

Is this right?
    The Comm settings look correct. I'm not sure on the RS-232 pinout, but they do have a diagram at bkcomp.com (no passwords required as I recall).

The strings look correct. If you are having problems getting the unit to respond, keep in mind that the default zone configuration starts with zone 11, not zone 1. Also, remember that zones have to be sent in Hex (this doesn't matter if you are using 1,2,3,4,5,6.... but it does matter once you get over 9 :) )

Jeff
    I found RS-232 pin description on: http://www.bkcomp.com/support/protocol/

I don't understanding about the default zone starts in 11 ... I have 6 speakers outputs A, B, C, D, E and F.

If I want to turn on the speaker output A, the string is:
    '(0,S,I,1=40;)' or '(0,S,I,B=40;)'

??

Thanks again!
    Did you use the BK software tools to configure the CT600? If not, then output A is zone 11, output B is zone 12, .... This means that you would need to use the second command: '(0,S,I,B=40;)'.

Jeff
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    This is why I always renumber the zones to A=10, B=11, etc., so that the RS-232 commands actually make sense and I don't lose my mind remembering that A=B.

B&Ks aren't very happy about stacking up RS-232 commands, so I generally also set up IDs that control multiple zones such as "main floor". 0 is a built-in ID that controls all zones. I'll usually start my area IDs at 1.
  • KimKim Posts: 52
    hex
    2Fast wrote: »
    I found RS-232 pin description on: http://www.bkcomp.com/support/protocol/

I don't understanding about the default zone starts in 11 ... I have 6 speakers outputs A, B, C, D, E and F.

If I want to turn on the speaker output A, the string is:
    '(0,S,I,1=40;)' or '(0,S,I,B=40;)'

??

Thanks again!

Hello!

This is hex expression, zones and so on, you can find on bkcom.com control protocol manual for your model of BK. So BK very well controlling from rs232 read the manual with samples.
    Finally working .... the problem was the cable :(

The zones really are B, C, D, E ...etc
    (0,S,I,B=40;) - POWER ON ZONE A
    (0,S,I,C=40;) - POWER OFF ZONE A

Thanks a lot!!!

Cya ;)
  • jstallcupjstallcup Posts: 3
    Warning re: B&K ip control

For those of you trying to control B&K CT600's and HD6's (it may be true for their other stuff, too), you might want to stick with the serial interface for a while. After spending more than a month (off & on) trying to resolve an issues with these devices and convince B&K that there even IS a problem, we have determined that there are (at least) 2 issues:
    1. If a TCP socket to the B&K is not neatly closed, it will lose buffer space for future sockets. After this has happened 3 or 4 times, it will not open another socket and communication is lost.
    2. Occasionally, for no reason that we have determined (we think it may be power related), the B&K ip interface will reset, re-enable DHCP if static addresses were assigned, and get itself another address. We haven't checked yet, but for those of you using name services, we suspect they reset that as well.
    The good news is that the command structure is identical, so for those of you who use it serially for now, converting to ip later will be a breeze. I converted the module I wrote for these things in about 20 minutes.
    Good luck.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    jstallcup wrote:
    the B&K ip interface will reset, re-enable DHCP if static addresses were assigned, and get itself another address.
    Well for this you could just assign the B & K to DHCP and leave it there, then just put the address you want in the routers static table with in its DHCP range and enter the mac address of the B & K unit. This way it will always be assigned a static DHCP assigned address from the router. So it's DHCP but it's statically assigned, if that makes any sense.

We tend to do this alot so that if we ever choose we can just make changes in the router, even the LAN address can change and all connected equipment will follow suit because they're set up DHCP internally but get assigned a specific DHCP assigned address by the router by comparing mac addresses. A simple reboot and the device will release its IP address and acquire its newly assigned address.
  • davidvdavidv Posts: 90
    Module

Does anyone have a module created for this particular B&K piece (CT 600) or (CT 300)

?
  • i don't think it's really related, not even sure if i should post here. i've got a problem with this keypad ck1.1. the documents stated that we can do something like a do_push for these keypads, but as i tried, it never works. anyone ever get this thing to work?
    Personally I find the B & K system poorly designed since the logic lives in eack keypad. You have to program each individually and even if the program will be the same for each one you have to physically connect to each one to upload the program. No centralized power managment or logic, etc. If the CD player was turned on you have no way to test if it's still on or if any other zones are using it before turning it off. Of course this all may have changed by now but not likely.

I still use their amps but I grew tired of their distributed systems and they won't change the way they're designed. Basically a hardwired remote control on the wall for each zone. Use the AMX keypads and still use the CT 600 or 300's and if possible scrap those in lieu of an Auto Patch 8x8 or 16x16 and use their AV1260 amps.

But back to the question.. If I recall you can program a keypad to send serial strings to a local device connected to the keypad or a local IR device. So I guess you could but why?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    Personally I find the B & K system poorly designed since the logic lives in eack keypad.

That is so that a standalone system will still work without a third party controller, which is clever I think. If you don't want to use the keypads you certainly can use AMX ones. I thought the system was quite well designed if perhaps a little overdesigned. You can use an AP switch instead, but you will not be able to come close to what a B&K 600 can do in terms of volume ramping zones together, mapping logical zones, etc.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote:
    That is so that a standalone system will still work without a third party controller, which is clever I think.
    Yes but other systems can do this too with out a 3rd party controller and the other system will keep track of what zones are using what devices and issue power off commands if no one is using. Other systems also have power sync inputs for current sensor or light sensor to determine power on states for device w/o descrete on/off's.

With a B & K system how do you shut a source component down when you 1st don't know if it's on and 2nd don't know if any other zones are using it.

a_riot42 wrote:
    You can use an AP switch instead, but you will not be able to come close to what a B&K 600 can do in terms of volume ramping zones together, mapping logical zones, etc.
    You must be kidding right. :D

Have you used an Auto Patch switcher if you have you should know that is a very elementary task. On my jobs customers can do that on the fly in 2 seconds in any combination they want not just the 3 fixed groups that B & K allows. Of course if for any reason a customer wanted hard coded groups that would be an elementary task as well.