Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

COM 1 not work

Device is NI700
Firmware is 3.30.371

I am trying to send out some string from COM1, the led on front in lighting, but there is no string os SerialWatcher !

When I send same string from COM2 everything is ok , and I can see string in SerailWatcher!

Both ports are set to 9600,N,8,1

Do anyone have some solution ??

Can I put device back to FACTORY DEFAULT ? Will this help ?

Comments

• When you say COM1 and COM2 do you mean on your PC or on the NI700 Port 1 & Port 2

Can you post the code your using? Are you using Control a Device?
  • VladaPUBVladaPUB Posts: 138
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dvPort1	=		5001:1:105

dvPort2	=		5001:2:105

DEFINE_PROGRAM
    WAIT 10
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPort1,"$02,'04FB',$0D"	
    WAIT 5
    SEND_STRING dvPort2,"$02,'04FB',$0D"	
    }

That is all that I am using for testing.

@Jimweir192
    When you say COM1 and COM2 do you mean on your PC or on the NI700 Port 1 & Port 2

I mean Port 1 & Port 2 on NI700 !
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    Thought

Have you done a DATA_EVENT[device]

and did a send command for the baud rate?
  • I would use the following troubleshooting method:
    1. Make sure the Device Notification options includes both port 1 and 2 strings out and in.
    2. Use a crossed serial cable and connect port 1 to 2, and sending strings across from one port to another ad monitor the outcome.
    3. Use a loopback connector (2 shorted with 3) and monitor the outcome on both, observing the difference.
    @jazzwyld
    Have you done a DATA_EVENT[device] and did a send command for the baud rate?

Yes, I have

SEND_COMMAND dvPort1,'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'
    SEND_COMMAND dvPort2,'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'

@felixmoldovan
    I would use the following troubleshooting method:
    1. Make sure the Device Notification options includes both port 1 and 2 strings out and in.
    All options are checked.
    2. Use a crossed serial cable and connect port 1 to 2, and sending strings across from one port to another ad monitor the outcome.
    I have try this, but I dontr receive string from Port1 na Port2
    3. Use a loopback connector (2 shorted with 3) and monitor the outcome on both, observing the difference.
    Tryed ..... no incoming string on Port 1, in fact Port1 is not sending string at all!!

I have install over 50 controlers, and this is first time that I have problem like this !

Is there option to reset controler to factory default, meabye I have done something with the code, so Port is off or something like that ?
    @jazzwyld

Yes, I have

@felixmoldovan
    All options are checked.
    Tryed ..... no incoming string on Port 1, in fact Port1 is not sending string at all!!

I have install over 50 controlers, and this is first time that I have problem like this !

Is there option to reset controler to factory default, meabye I have done something with the code, so Port is off or something like that ?
    @jazzwyld

Yes, I have

@felixmoldovan
    All options are checked.

• DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    I believe Serial Dev 1 on an NI700 shares the AXlink buss circuit - there are some known anomalies with Serial Dev 1 on an NI700 due to this.

Is the AXlink buss clear?

Also, more related to inbound coms, but make sure your DATA_EVENT includes the RXON command. If the port has RXOFF set, then the led will not light.

HTH
    The LED on front is flashing like everything is normal.

No, i am not using AxLink, bus is clear, only one RS232 device is connected for now, and I shoud have two of them.
    VladaPUB wrote: »
    The LED on front is flashing like everything is normal.

No, i am not using AxLink, bus is clear, only one RS232 device is connected for now, and I shoud have two of them.
    The only other time I have seen this behaviour was on a 4100 and the -12VDC (maybe it's -11VDC) rail was missing. This allows the led to flash but the output chip isn't operable.

I can't be sure the electronics are the same in the 700, but if you have a meter, I'd certainly check for the -12VDC (-11VDC) rail.
    The only other time I have seen this behaviour was on a 4100 and the -12VDC (maybe it's -11VDC) rail was missing. This allows the led to flash but the output chip isn't operable.

I can't be sure the electronics are the same in the 700, but if you have a meter, I'd certainly check for the -12VDC (-11VDC) rail.

How to check it ?
  • Not to upset you, but even AMX NI700 might go faulty at times...

Some other thoughts that just crossed my mind...
    1. Since you say you are setting the baud in the ONLINE DATA_EVENT, did you check if this effecivelly happens? Meaning...is the device coming online at all?
    2. Don't forget about yor one way serial (or even pairing and well pacing two devices on the same port), as an alternative option.
    3. I am quite happy with the AMX support, and, if that port is a must, then maybe it's not a bad idea to have it looked at...

Good luck.
    How to check it ?
    You would need to take the cover off and look around for the test point and check it with a multimeter.

You should be very careful doing this! Not sure of your background, but if you slip, you could easily end up with a lot more than a suspect serial port!

Have you put your program in another 700? is it ok?

Being a 700, I doubt it is new, but frankly I would have it checked out by AMX and would not do this rail check unless tech support confirm you are ok to try it on site.
    You would need to take the cover off and look around for the test point and check it with a multimeter.

You should be very careful doing this! Not sure of your background, but if you slip, you could easily end up with a lot more than a suspect serial port!

Have you put your program in another 700? is it ok?

Being a 700, I doubt it is new, but frankly I would have it checked out by AMX and would not do this rail check unless tech support confirm you are ok to try it on site.

I have service here, try will deal with it.

I have try the same software in another controler, everything is ok.

I have send mail to support in ermany, and waiting for answer.
    I have service here, try will deal with it.

I have try the same software in another controler, everything is ok.

I have send mail to support in ermany, and waiting for answer.
    Post back after you hear and let us know how you go.

Good luck!
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    You could try reloading the device firmware (vs. master firmware) and see if that does anything. It's very possible you just plain have a bad RS-232 port.
  • AlexArtistAlexArtist Posts: 51
    Device is NI700
    Firmware is 3.30.371

I am trying to send out some string from COM1, the led on front in lighting, but there is no string os SerialWatcher !

When I send same string from COM2 everything is ok , and I can see string in SerailWatcher!

Both ports are set to 9600,N,8,1

Do anyone have some solution ??

Did you every find the answer to this? I have the same issue with 2 NI-900s out of 6 and using Firmware 3.30.371 the same as you. It seems like too much data is being received at startup and the port won't accept incoming data until it is unplugged and then replugged. The oddity is it won't show any of that incoming data. I'm going to try a firmware upgrade now. I hope it fixes it.
    I will try to upload firmware again.
    I will try to upload firmware again.

I tried updating the firmware in my scenerio and it did not work. Although, i discovered if you unplug the serial cable and then plug it in again, the port will then work.

More importantly, the FIX for my problem (after a long long talk with AMX) is to only use a 3 conductor Serial cable. If you're doing RS232 and only need Tx, Rx and Ground, then only use those 3 conductors. I tried this and magically it fixed my issues. AMX said if you use a 9 conductor when all you need is 3, the remaining pins with short with the RS232 pins and cause problems or eventually kill the port. They said if you need 5 pins only, then only wire up a 5 conductor serial cable. (This seems ridiculous but it works)

VladaPub try out a 3 conductor RS232 cable and let me know if that fixes your issues (because it fixed mine).
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    AlexArtist wrote: »
    AMX said if you use a 9 conductor when all you need is 3, the remaining pins with short with the RS232 pins and cause problems or eventually kill the port. They said if you need 5 pins only, then only wire up a 5 conductor serial cable. (This seems ridiculous but it works)

That is because unlike a PC serial port the Netlinx 9pin connectors are multifuctional - 232/485/422, and in different modes different pins are required. Look on the back panel of any master and you'll find a legend with the pinouts. Wiring up to the wrong pins will at best result in erratic behaviour and at worst could damage hardware. Never use a moulded serial cables!!
  • kbeattyAMXkbeattyAMX Posts: 358
    Did you every find the answer to this? I have the same issue with 2 NI-900s out of 6 and using Firmware 3.30.371 the same as you. It seems like too much data is being received at startup and the port won't accept incoming data until it is unplugged and then replugged. The oddity is it won't show any of that incoming data. I'm going to try a firmware upgrade now. I hope it fixes it.

I noticed that no one mentioned making sure the Hardware Handshaking is off. SEND_COMMAND dvDevice,'HSOFF'.
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    I noticed that no one mentioned making sure the Hardware Handshaking is off. SEND_COMMAND dvDevice,'HSOFF'.

Ken, i did HSOFF, RXON, SET BAUD, and all the trimmings (blank program, delayed startup, etc..) and that port would not work with a 9 pin cable. It will always work with a 3 pin. The answer was just use the 3 pin. That was it.
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    That is because unlike a PC serial port the Netlinx 9pin connectors are multifuctional - 232/485/422, and in different modes different pins are required. Look on the back panel of any master and you'll find a legend with the pinouts. Wiring up to the wrong pins will at best result in erratic behaviour and at worst could damage hardware. Never use a moulded serial cables!!

I been programming with AMX for 6 years and this was the first time i ever heard tech support mention to only use the conductors that you need for serial cables on AMX. I would think that info should come with a big red sticker on every new device. "Make Sure to only use the conductors you need or system may become unstable!"
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I been programming with AMX for 6 years and this was the first time i ever heard tech support mention to only use the conductors that you need for serial cables on AMX.

6 years and this is the first time? Wow....I guess you don't do much serial devices as many don't work properly with all 9 pins connected.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    6 years and this is the first time? Wow....I guess you don't do much serial devices as many don't work properly with all 9 pins connected.
    Paul

I don't do install.
    Seems this time an install tech didn't know about the serial cables. And even the times when a molded cables were used in the past, the masters didn't have troubles. The NI-900 seems to be the first device that's been very sensitive to this issue.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    AlexArtist wrote:
    The NI-900 seems to be the first device that's been very sensitive to this issue.
    That?s not true. The issue has been around for years, since the beginning of the NI series. This has probably been one of the most discussed topics on the forum and it is number one in the FAQ.

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4085
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    That?s not true. The issue has been around for years, since the beginning of the NI series. This has probably been one of the most discussed topics on the forum and it is number one in the FAQ.

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4085

I'm not saying no other master is affected by this issue, i'm just saying the NI-900s seems to be the most sensitive, because it's the first master that i've found out about this issue with. Heck, when we unplugged the NI-900 and attached the 9 wire cable to an NI-3101 sig series, it worked right away. So i'm just saying the NI-900 seems to show the issue a lot easier. And i know of masters in the field with 9wire cable that have been working for years. So obviously it depends on what kinda of equipment is hooked up. But granted from now on, i'll make sure installers only use the amount of pins needed for each device to avoid future issues. As far as the FAQ, i've never read it, but i will now. I normally only look for things on here i'm having problems with, which isn't very often. Sorry to cause any upsets, i was just surprised i've never heard about this issue for years nor have i had issues with it.