Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Easiest to control Small LCD TV

Hi. Newbie to forum.

I've finally decided I've had enough of stuffing around with harmony remotes, so I'm about to spend some money on decent control!

I have a 50" NEC Plasma which was a dead sinch to control with the Harmony because it has separate remote inputs. (rather than cycling through the inputs). So no doubt AMX will find control of this plasma a breeze.

My question is which is the easiest smaller (ie 26-30 inch) LCD TV to control. I can't seem to find a brand with similar separate input control, or control via RS232 for that matter. Do they exist? If not: does it matter? Which brands at this size have definite discrete IR codes? What would forum members purchase purely on an "easiest to integrate into AMX" basis?

Comments

• Options
    iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    LCDs

Samsungs have got a pretty good track record when it comes to discrete inputs (and On / Off). Recent Sony models down to the 26" have also been well catered for. I'd avoid Panasonic unless you're SURE you've got a working code set.

One thing you need to bear in mind is the signal route the IR is going to take. Unlike a programmable remote such as Harmony or RTI, the IR controlling the TV doesn't come from an AMX remote, it comes from the processor and that means you need a cable between the TV and Processor and an emitter.

If you can find an LCD with RS232 control things are neater, but they're not common

update

you've probably considered this but just in case you haven't....

Just because a model doesn't have discrete inputs on its own remote doesn't mean it doesn't a set of codes that can be used. So the AMX library, the RTI library, the IR code sets on remote central are all valuable resources. For all I know the Pronto might have a decent native library as well but we don't really use them so I'm not sure.
  • Options
    RS-232C

Thanks for the reply!

If a display has an RS-232C, does it automatically mean it will be readily controllable and OK?

I've found a 32" LG with RS-232C, and a 26" Toshiba Regza series with RS-232C (Service only)...whatever that means!

Also I can get a 26" DT 262 series Baumann Meyer...which though doesn't have RS-232C, it has discrete external source selection input buttons on the remote and according to their website is specifically designed for home automation market....

This is real important, because I want to get a couple of LCD's and I know from the Harmony experience, added programming time means added hassles and installer costs....
  • Options
    Cautious response

You can't guaranteee control over a device via RS232c - some of the protocols are difficult to get hold of. I've got a Sharp RS232 protocol, never used it, no idea if it works but it was a bit of a pig to track down and by the time we'd got it things had moved on.

You could use a programmable remote that squirts conventional IR out of its own IR port and communicates with the AMX processor over RF or IP.

Is this for you or for a client project?
  • Options
    Thanks for the warning...it's cool

For me...

I'm currently waiting for a dealer to give me a quote...so while I'm waiting, I thought I'd go out and check out what was available. Trouble is in my part of the world, all the half decent LCD's are being pulled from the market 'cause of the "GFC"..so I need to get my hands on some.

But thanks for advice. I have advantage of starting from scratch so I'll speak to the dealer....
  • Options
    Didn't know things were so green down Wapping High St...
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    All of the 16:9 Sharp Aquos sets have discrete IR functions and control very well.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I've always thought that the Pioneers have had the easiest 232 control. I've been integrating with them for several years, and it's a since.

Just gotta remember that it's surround by two decimals (2 & 3), and the command (unless you set its ID) should start with "**", from there - PON for on, POF for off. INPS (I've always equated this to INPut Select. There's your main functions. Simple I say, simple!)

But . . . back to small TVs, stay away from the LGs. Terrible little pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone!

Sharp Aquos. They all have a RS-232 control input..even the smaller ones AND they even include the codes for this in the manual!! Cool! I think I've found my LCD....
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    jjames wrote: »
    I've always thought that the Pioneers have had the easiest 232 control.

Since you work with Pioneers surely you know this, but they are exiting the TV biz...
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10158724-92.html

It is a shame since many people regard Pioneer TVs as one of the best.
  • Options
    A worrying trend..

Yeh. All the high end brands are disappearing..

I cant' even get smaller Sharps any more

It's the Toshiba, or Baumann Meyer (with it's discrete remote input buttons) That's it.

So which would be easier? Is the Toshiba OK?
    I've found a "Toshiba IR code master" table : goes something like this

Remote function codes Actual Remote IR codes

Channel 0 40 BF 0 FF SLEEP TIMER 40 BF 15
    Channel 1 40 BF 1 FE POWER - ON / STANDBY 40 BF 12
    Channel 2 40 BF 2 FD TEN KEY - 1 40 BF 01
    Channel 3 40 BF 3 FC TEN KEY - 2 40 BF 02
    Channel 4 40 BF 4 FB TEN KEY - 3 40 BF 03
    Channel 5 40 BF 5 FA TEN KEY - 4 40 BF 04
    Channel 6 40 BF 6 F9 TEN KEY - 5 40 BF 05

..and the list goes on..is this any use..?