Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

VPN Recommendation

Greetings,

I am currently using a Linksys RVS4000 for a router and VPN server at my office. It allow me to work with files on the office server while being out in the field. Unfortunately, its VPN traffic is very slow and has occasional issues.

All PCs involved are XP.

Could someone recommend a more professional device?

Thanks.

Comments

• bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Sonicwal TZ-series

They are significantly more money, but work awesome. It's the only router/firewall we use.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/TZ_Series.html
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I use the Sonicwall routers as well and they are great. I would highly recommend looking into their SSL-VPN device. You could even keep your existing router and add the SSL-VPN device to serve the VPN stuff. The nice thing about the SSL-VPN is that it doesn't require client software to be installed/configured by IT staff. You login through a web page, and then have the choice of clicking on a variety of apps or using NetExtender. The NetExtender gives you full access to the network. The apps give you access to internal web pages, VNC servers, file shares, and other things.

You can even lock it down to a point that is approved for medical records use! If you like.

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've been using the Linksys RV series (small business class) and really never had any issues. I think these were created from the Cisco line and just dumbed down a bit.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    vining wrote: »
    I've been using the Linksys RV series (small business class) and really never had any issues. I think these were created from the Cisco line and just dumbed down a bit.

I have the RVS4000 now. I find the VPN to be very slow. A typical TPD4 file takes about five minutes to open. My Internet connection is 2MB upstream.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I have the RVS4000 now.
    Just goes to show you how well I read. :)

I've only used the RV082 & RV042 but I would imagine the VPN would be the same. I don't know what to say, I use mine all the time transfering Lutron, HAI, Netlinx programs and TP files to about 20 customers where I've installed these and I've never had connection problems and the speed seems fine.
  • SpringsSprings Posts: 1
    OpenVPN

You can use DD-WRT or Tomato for clients that don't need web filtering / monitoring.

For a Step up you can use Untangle which is OpenSource too.

(I am new to AMX... put I have a lot of practice with OpenVPN.)