Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TP4 Buglist - Add one for me

Comments

• Another Fun Bug

I've noticed that when using VNC Viewer within conjunction to TPD4, there's a fun bug that occurs when uploading to a panel. If you have VNC running when an upload begins, it automatically closes VNC (as it should) so the panel may reload itself properly. I've noticed, however, that sometimes, though everything seems to be running smoothly, it will close the VNC Viewer, upload the files, reach the infamous "Manifest.xml" file, and freeze...sometimes indefinitely, other times for ten to fifteen minutes. I've further noticed that if you pull the power from the panel, plug it in and have it reboot, it will run as if the new panel files were up and running perfectly... The plot thickens. :)

Just for good measure:
    dreamstimeweb_angry374345_1.jpg
  • Here's an interesting one:

Anyone else notice that Find & Replace doesn't include Popups? If you do a search through the entire panel, it skips them; if you have nothing but a popup open, it still won't find something of matching criteria; if you have nothing but the popup open and have the button you're trying to deal with selected, it won't even let you change the Search Scope to "Selected Buttons".

I can only assume that's a bug. :confused:
  • adimexadimex Posts: 21
    Issue since updated to 2.11

Team,
    I recently updated to 2.11 using webupdate. Since then I have trouble opening files. It loads the file fine but I cannot open pages, it gets stuck saying loading with the black background. I'll post a screen shot if neccessary.

I'm running windows server 2003 standard.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    adimex wrote: »
    I'm running windows server 2003 standard.

this might be an issue. I cannot imagine running Server '03 on a workstation. It would be missing quite a few services.
  • adimexadimex Posts: 21
    It worked fine for the longest time!!! Until I upgraded to 2.11 :(
  • BigsquatchBigsquatch Posts: 216
    I didn't look through all 5 pages of this thread so sorry if this was already mentioned.

I just started using 2.11.0 today and I keep getting an error popup when using the paint properties tool.

The message says "The following property values could not be painted: Scale Bitmap To Fit(State 1) Scale Bitmap To Fit(State 2)"

No big deal I thought. Scale to fit must have been checked so I'll just uncheck it, but after searching through the parameters in the Property Painter dialog I don't see it anywhere in the list so I haven't been able to find a way around this bug yet.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Bigsquatch wrote: »
    No big deal I thought. Scale to fit must have been checked so I'll just uncheck it, but after searching through the parameters in the Property Painter dialog I don't see it anywhere in the list so I haven't been able to find a way around this bug yet.

I believe there are certain properties that are specific to certain circumstances. When I "grab" the properties of a button with a dynamic image as its bitmap, I'm given the option in the Property Painter list. However, if I "grab" them from a button with a static image, the option goes away.

I did exactly that just to test - I grabbed the properties of an button with a dynamic image, then unticked the bitmap, and ticked the "Scale Bitmap To Fit" option and was presented the same error. If I leave it ticked, and then grab the properties from a button without that option, it does seem to stay in there for things that need to be painted. Until you select the button that has the dynamic image option, there is no way to de-select it.

I guess you'll just need to make sure that when you're done painting "Scale Bitmap To Fit" that you untick it before selecting a button without that option. Definitely a bug, and a good catch! Be sure to call it in to make it "official."
  • state editing

Not sure if this is a bug or something that it just doesn't do.

When editing a multistate button, if you double click the state you want to edit in state manager it does not bring up that states properties. I was moving bitmaps around on an 88 stater and wanted to quickly change the one property. I had to manually expand each state and select said property. A pain!

Even if there was a way to add a relative value in the all states box I'd be happy.

Btw I'm ttping this on mt blackberry storm. Excuse the rubbishness !
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    this might be an issue. I cannot imagine running Server '03 on a workstation. It would be missing quite a few services.

W2k3 is probably the best OS MS has produced. I think it is really the ideal OS to run on a workstation. The missing services can be installed if needed.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    W2k3 is probably the best OS MS has produced. I think it is really the ideal OS to run on a workstation. The missing services can be installed if needed.
    Paul
    Virus authors sure did love it! :|
  • TPD4 crashing

OK, I am now getting pretty annoyed with the crashes. at first, i could go behind the "TDP4 is rubbish and has had to close" window and save my file...now it's bringing up a box "sorry mate, can't do that. ring tech support." Ergo, I lose two hours work.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar problems?

Running latest versions of all apps, on a Toshiba Tecra with oodles of RAM (and a Centrino 2 inside apparently), running XP.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the new versions only work properly on Vista?? :-)
  • Re: state editing
    Not sure if this is a bug or something that it just doesn't do.

When editing a multistate button, if you double click the state you want to edit in state manager it does not bring up that states properties. I was moving bitmaps around on an 88 stater and wanted to quickly change the one property. I had to manually expand each state and select said property. A pain!

Yes, it should select the state in the Properties Window when it is selected in the State Manager. If what you're experiencing is what I think it is, it's a side-effect of opening TPDesign4 with the State Manager active.

This should be fixed in the next TPD4 release, but in the meantime there is an easy-enough workaround. Go to the View menu and close the State Manager and then go back to the View menu and re-open it. It should select normally after that.
  • BigsquatchBigsquatch Posts: 216
    Also, not a big problem really but it's always bugged me since I've been using TPD4 (All versions had this issue) - When in the resource manager shift selecting a range of bitmaps is buggy.

For example in res. mgr. in thumbnail view click on the top rightmost bitmap, hold down shift and then select another bitmap 2 rows lower. Most of the time extra bitmaps are selected.

I lost many bitmaps in my early years before I got into the habit of checking very carefully of just Ctrl clicking when deleting large ranges.
  • jbhildijbhildi Posts: 9
    Font sizes in 2.11.0 build 619

I'm doing a project on a MVP 5200i, and I've also uploaded it to a CV7 which I have at home for programming.
    If I set the font to Arial, size 18, bold, when I transfer to panel it comes out tiny.
    Playing around I found if I set it to 22 size it transfers correctly, but this is too big for the buttons.
    Dropping the size down to 20 when transferred it is tiny again, probably smallest size.
    I've never seen this before so I assume it's a bug in this latest version.
    Anyone else come across it or know of a fix?
    thanks
    Barry
  • jbhildijbhildi Posts: 9
    addition to previous message

I found an older version of TPD4 and installed it, I still had the same problem.
    On playing around I found if I changed the font to something like courier the problem disappeared.
    It's obviously a font issue on my laptop or something, but no idea what
    Barry
  • tom goeztom goez Posts: 75

I have noticed the same problem with Arial font. Try using an odd sized font (11,13, etc) and see if it goes away! Mine does.
  • G4 System Fonts
    tom goez wrote: »
    I have noticed the same problem with Arial font. Try using an odd sized font (11,13, etc) and see if it goes away! Mine does.

Tom and J.B.,

TPDesign4 v2.11 b615 contained a modification to the G4 System Fonts table in which several sizes of Arial Bold were added. I suspect you are downloading your panels via NetLinx Studio and that's why you are seeing this issue with Arial Bold.

Try downloading your panel project to the device using TPDesign4 using the Smart Download or Normal Download option. TPD4 should prompt you that the system files need to be updated on the panel. If you get this message, than this is what was causing your font problem.

After your system files are updated on the panel you can go back to transferring via Studio if that is your preference.
  • Not a bug... rather a paradigm I wish I will see changed

I assume this might have been discussed previously. It did not prompt at some basic keyword searches...
    And, yes, it is only circumstancially related to TPDesign4 and more to the panel firmware general paradigm.

Actual Situation:
    The Pages/Popups in TPDesign4 have a Channel Port/Code, which sends a BUTTON event to the master when any area of the page is pressed. I will not refer here to the Address Port/Code which is also there.

Wish
    I would see more use of these parameters (or maybe a new one added), if this would send a CHANNEL event to the master when the page is DISPLAYED or CLOSED. I don't really see a use for the event of the page being pressed, and, anyway, a transparent button sized to the page area will do the job.

Motivation
    I agree, page tracking and proper flagging will give you the means of doing this in Netlinx code. I just prefer a permanent reading instead of a one-time string, plus a better and more comfortable feedback handling when a button shows a different state according to the page opened/closed, or viceversa, a page displays when another event happens, using them in Mutually Exclusive groups, etc...

I trust there will be pluses and minuses, and there is a strong motivation for this not being already a feature... As I do not know fine details about the Netlinx resource management, I would not be able to conclude, but only assume that even this might be better than having all the data traffic coming from panels (Page Name Tracking), adding in exchange some more payload on the processor for all these extra channels.

A humble comment...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Here's a new bug, and it's fairly major.

I recently migrated to a new computer. I was at a customer's house, and had to edit a touch panel, and when I opened the file, I got an error saying it couldn't open a specific font and was reverting to the default. No biggie, I thought, I recognized that font, and only had used it in one spot. But, to my horror, I discovered that every single font that needed to be loaded after the error also reverted to the default ... and the default was Courier 9 (horrors!). Instead of a 5 minute update, I was now looking at needing to go through every button on every page of a fairly large panel, and I was not happy.

To add to the problem, it turns out I had that font illegally in the first place. Back in the early days of TPD4, if someone used a copyrighted font in a panel design, anyone who opened the file or downloaded it from the panel automatically got it installed on their system, whether they had the rights to do so or not. Clearly, I got this errant font that way, because when I looked it up, I discovered I had to buy it to download it. I'm OK with that, since I don't like to have illegal software anyway, but that sucker cost me $40. Still, cheaper than completely re-doing all my panel designs (it was part of a template I use on nearly every project). When I purchased the font and installed it, the rest of the panel fixed itself when I re-opened it (whew!).

Really, the rest of the fonts should have loaded, and I should have had the option of using a replacement font in that single case. It's literally on exactly ONE button in my design, and for that one button I had the choice of re-doing the whole panel or coughing up $40.
  • tom goeztom goez Posts: 75

Thanks Robert for the fix. Just did it and it seems to work fine now. I never use TP4 to upload to a panel and that's why the error.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I keep getting this error, I can't save ANY file ANYwhere. (with tp4design that is). <see attachment>

Running the latest tpd4
    Another bug:

When using left or right middle text orientation the tp4design software crashes when making a NXD-430 layout. Tested on 2 systems, happened on both.
  • tp4 error

Hello all!

i was using one of the templates from amx site to create a new panel.

I just created new panel and then copy+pasted icons that i wanted to use to my new project.
    After saving it and working on it... next morning when i tried to open it i got this error (in the attachment).

Also what i found out it happen for any pannel i made on that basis (copy+paste from some other design i made).

The best thing is when i open the design i get the error. If i cancel it and then reopen the panel it will show all the buttons oke.

Bit annoying but can live with it. Just posting here if someone else has the same problem dont go over remaking all the buttons again :)

Alan

• Quick Input -> Text is not working properly for me. If I hold Ctrl + Enter, it's not moving to the next line anymore.

v3.1.0 Build 643 - Worked in the previous version.
    Quick Input -> Text is not working properly for me. If I hold Ctrl + Enter, it's not moving to the next line anymore.

Same here - Mee Too
    Quick Input -> Text is not working properly for me. If I hold Ctrl + Enter, it's not moving to the next line anymore.

Noticed this behaviour last week as well.
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    behaviour

British spelling for the win!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jorde & Chris: You did report this bug to tech support, right? These are the things that definitely need to get reported the official way. Thanks for the info!
  • jjames wrote: »
    Jorde & Chris: You did report this bug to tech support, right? These are the things that definitely need to get reported the official way. Thanks for the info!

Did not, but I will today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ericmedley wrote: »
    British spelling for the win!
    You know you love it ;)
    jjames wrote: »
    Unfortunately my point of contact is the NL/UK and they can't do anything with it except report it to the US (is what they say, but it takes them weeks to do so)
    Did not, but I will today.
    Your point of contact is the US I reckon?