Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum
Options

AMXhome

2»

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The channel icon maker isn't free anymore. It's now part of a suite that licenses for $199. Still a bargain, I think, but if you aren't using the rest of the suite, it may be hard to justify, especially since making buttons isnt that time consuming if you already have transparent background icons.

I assume you're talking about the "commercial" license? The "personal" license is still free.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the "commercial" license? The "personal" license is still free.

Since I'm not using it at home for personal use, that doesn't apply. The minute you use it to make buttons for a client's touch panel (or even something lower end, like a Pronto), it becomes a commercial use. I'm a stickler about things like that.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    vining wrote: »
    Have you thought of just buying full TP designs or parts from places like GUI FX?

http://www.guifx.com/

There's free stuff there too like a TV channel icon button maker thingy, you can buy sounds, buttons and entire TP graphics, backgrounds, etc.

My experience with pre-made graphics packages is that they are often too heavily themed. I find that even though they are very attractive, the themes don't fit into a wide range of projects.

I would start with building or buying a button set and choose background images from stock photography or other sources.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I haven't seen the commercial version, but the old free one (which was truly free) made some simple buttons that were either flat or 3-D white, and combined them with the station logos. I used it quite a bit before I decided I would rather have the flexibility of a plain logo with a transparent background. I've seen there designs since on some Pronto packages (the Aura design for the Pronto Pro comes to mind).