Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

AMX Tivo Module using IP

I notice there is a Duet module for a Tivo device model number TCD652160 that uses IP control.
Has anyone tried this yet?
Paul

Comments

• TiVo Duet module

I tried it out last week on one of the new TiVo HDXL units. Worked fine for me.

Rich
  • roognationroognation Posts: 138
    Tivo Module

So, I figured an IP module for the Tivo would be fairly cool and provide a lot of data back to the user.

After looking through the module spec (.doc file) posted on amx.com, it appears that this module basically sends IR commands via IP. Yeah, sure, I can tell that the unit is online...wow.

Am I missing something (please tell me the documentation is horribly wrong and the thing spits out all kinds of data)?

Thx
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    roognation wrote: »
    So, I figured an IP module for the Tivo would be fairly cool and provide a lot of data back to the user.

After looking through the module spec (.doc file) posted on amx.com, it appears that this module basically sends IR commands via IP. Yeah, sure, I can tell that the unit is online...wow.

Am I missing something (please tell me the documentation is horribly wrong and the thing spits out all kinds of data)?

Thx

Sounds like the DirecTV serial control ... IR over RS-232 with some very basic and scant feedback, if queried only. I would want full meta data on the current program; if the box can get the data, surely they can pass it along the control port.
  • pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Just thought I would share this...
    At Cedia I asked the head DirecTV enginer about getting meta data, and he didn't know if it was possible at the time. A few days later I got an email from him saying that it was a legel issue. They had the right to reciever the guide data but not distribute it. That was the last I ever heard from him.

I don't know that I believe him, but there you go.

P
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Sounds like the DirecTV serial control ... IR over RS-232 with some very basic and scant feedback, if queried only. I would want full meta data on the current program; if the box can get the data, surely they can pass it along the control port.

I wasn't so much looking for great meta data, but an alternate way of control when you run out of IR ports, or have many of these units to control and IR might be impractical when there is already a robust IP network in place.
    Paul
  • IC-STL-JBIC-STL-JB Posts: 21
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I wasn't so much looking for great meta data, but an alternate way of control when you run out of IR ports, or have many of these units to control and IR might be impractical when there is already a robust IP network in place.
    Paul

I agree with Paul for sure; the program & guide info would be icing, but the cake is not only having an alternative when you run out of IR ports but being able to have less wires to run, especially when you're probably already plugging the Tivo into the ethernet anyway. Less wires= Less places for problems! :)

off-topic, but addressing what was stated above- the DirecTV H23 series pro units have full progam info, don't they? I thought that was what they were showing in their both at CEDIA last year with a Cres!#0n setup...?

Jeff B