Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Is there some sort of IR equipment with RS232 control?

Hello.

My company is looking for some sort of equipment that can store certain IR codes, and that when commanded by some RS232 string, sends one of these codes out on a specific IR output port. We can't use AMX on this one because it is supposed to be a low budget automation system. I've heard Xantech works with IR emitters, but I haven't been able to find anything like that on their web page.

Does such thing exist? Does anyone know what I can use for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    Calypso Control has some products that may be useful, such as the UT-500. They seem to have taken it off their website, though, so I don't know if it's still available for sale. The user manual is here: http://www.calypsosystems.com/Support/UT-500%20Manual%20v1.1.1.pdf
  • Are you talking about integrating it with an existing AMX system or not using AMX at all and using a different manufacturer?

If the choice is not using AMX, you may want to talk to your AMX rep to see if there's something you can put together in the price point you need to meet. Sometimes trying to win the low bid ends up being more of a headache in the end if it involves learning new equipment and trying to save a buck on less capable equipment.

Where are you going to get the RS232 strings to control the device you're looking for? There are some other devices that you can look at like Global Cache if you're looking at a computer based solution. Universal Remote also has an MSC400 that can do what you're asking. But again, talk to your AMX rep. They're there to help you gain the business, win the job, and succeed. In the long run there are lots of reasons to stick with AMX.

--John
  • jp1016jp1016 Posts: 32
    John, we here understand that AMX is far better than anything else that can be used on a home system. But since we import these products (I'm brazilian), they suffer from a great increase of price out of taxes. Due to that, few are the people who can afford a whole home system based on AMX products.
    We have always used two lines of products: a local (and therefore cheaper) brand, Dexter, which proved to be very trustful; and, of course AMX. We have integrated both systems with RS232 communication. The local brand is responsible for lighting control (basically dimmed lights and light scenarios), but there are no fancy Touch Panels - human interface is made through a Keypad - and no options for IR control.
    Our basic systems are made with this local brand. I know it may seem archaic to have home systems where all you can control is lighting, but here in Brasil, Residential Automation is not yet very spread. It is still a luxury that only rich people can afford. So, we only use AMX for Home systems where the client wants to control his Audio/Video equipment, or wants a touch panel for human interface, and, most important of all, has the money to pay for it.
    If I could find a module that received a command through RS232 and sent an IR command, I would communicate with it using the RS232 port on the Programmable Controller we use. I know it would, indeed, take time to learn how to use it, but it could prove to be very handy.

Thanks anyway John. And thanks jweather - that may be it. We'll try to find out whether is there any company that imports that product.

Sorry for my english. I am not quite sure everything I said is correct :)
  • I understand what you're saying. Being in San Diego, we have lot's of folks from Brazil that would visit and try to purchase as many consumer electronics items as they could squeeze into their suitcases. I don't know if it's changed but many friends had mentioned that the import tax was something like 2 or 3 times the price of the product.

Here's the Xantech piece you were looking for:
    http://www.xantech.com/Controls/ControllersSwitches/ControllersSwitchers/RS232IR/

The MSC400 that I mentioned above isn't the right piece, but there's another piece I just can't remember the name of it -- I'll post it if I remember.

--John