Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Virutal Devices and Feedback

I use virutal devices plenty for mimicking hardware, but not for panels.
Recently i had a gnarly scenerio where one panel needed to connect to other panels in the room depending on what the user chose, and so i tried using virutal devices to represent panels.

Basically i setup 9 virutal panels. Room1, Room3... Room9
And if a panel wanted to display what the Virtual Rooms were controlling, i'd combine Real panels to these virtuals. (i only used 1 port of the real panel and less than 400 channels) The Problem is the Feedback on the Virtual Panels was messed up. sometime it would display, most the time it wouldn't. I made sure i set my virtual channel and port count correctly. I eventually gave up and used the real panels with dev array, and that works.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had similar problems and how they solved them? I would like to use virtuals panels but i need to understand them better. Are there any good rules to follow when making virtual panels and them combining real ones to them? After doing some tests i found when you combine a new panel to an existing virtual, it doesn't always clear out the feedback the panel had prior to the combine, that's pretty annoying.

Anyway, any good advice on this one?

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Were the virtual panels and the physical panels on the same processor? If not, there is a known problem updating channels in the current firmware.

Jeff
  • Options
    AlexArtistAlexArtist Posts: 51
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Were the virtual panels and the physical panels on the same processor? If not, there is a known problem updating channels in the current firmware.

Jeff

Yup! There were 9 slave masters but they didn't controll feedback on the virtual panels.

All virutal panel "Sends" and "Feedback" were done on the Primary Master.
  • Options
    Contact tech support. They should be able to get you a temporary firmware file that fixes the problem.

I beat my head into a wall for a couple hours before I found this out :)

Jeff
  • Options
    AlexArtistAlexArtist Posts: 51
    Wow, just to verify. you're saying with the current firmware, channels on vurtuals aren't updating correctly? If so, that would explain a lot of strangeness going on.
  • Options
    That was correct when dealing with master-to-master virtual devices. I believe they just posted a new firmware version in the last couple days that fixes the problem. Download the latest firmware and give it a try.

Jeff