Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

ENV-VST-C Thermostat

We have installed several of the ENV_VST_C thermostats and we have had to replace almost all of them. There is one location that we have replaced the thermostat 4 times now. We also have had a few that have started smoking. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be great!

Note: We are power stealing from the HVAC unit, so we aren't using the power from the Axlink and we ran CAT5e for the control wire.

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    There was a problem with the original release of the units related to the power supply with symptoms as you described. I would talk to tech support.
    And... it has been my experience tha power stealing is the less desirable option for powering thermostats in general. I would use one pair in the cat 5 for power from your own isolated, backed-up supply.
  • d-alonsod-alonso Posts: 5
    I Have 12 installed since Dec.2008 one was DOA I am using the HVAC Transformer without any problems. there is a new firmware out but I have not installed it Yet. Have you noticed that if it looses power the relays do not go to the off position and the HVAC will continue to run?? Also They are installed in a Manufacturing plant and the delay time for the compressor seems to bet around 12 minutes.
  • Matt_BMatt_B Posts: 4
    I have 30 ENV-VST-C units installed at an installation all using separate 24Vac power supplies. Apart from some early firmware issues, they have been online since November 2008 with no other problems.

Matt B
  • JJCCJJCC Posts: 17
    I agree with Turnip Truck; never trust in other devices than yours (i.e. power supply voltage!!!). More events under your own control, easier find and fix solutions.
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Does anyone else find the UI on the thermostat itself impossible to navigate?
    bcirrisi wrote: »

I will not sell them as stand-alone devices. I will only use when most control is done from a touchpanel.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bcirrisi wrote: »

Yeah, it's pretty clunky. We just did a house with 5 of them and I'm now pretty good at moving around them. ( cue old audio engineering saying: Never get good at something you hate doing...)

I don't know how many times I've see people walk up to them punching on the display expecting them to be touch panels. the display looks good. It might be worth their while to make a touch overlay for it.