Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Ademco Vista Module Integration

I have to do my first integration with an Ademco Alarm Panel using the Ademco AMX Duet Module v1.0.8. After checking out the AMX sample code provided with the module v1.0.8, I noticed that there is no Function to process the Zone Status. Is it automatically updated on the cPOINT_STATUS[250] variable array of the UI or we need to query for it? In case we need to have a string parsing function for the zone feedback, is it possible for anybody to e-mail me back your implementation (Function). Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Ricardo
ricardo@advancedanomaly.com

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I was able to use the module out-of-the-box without any polling. I just took the panel channels and text addresses and ported them to my own panel design.
  • DHawthorne,

Are you providing Zone Status? Is it automatically updated by the module (cPOINT_STATUS[250] variable Array) so we don't have to poll? Did you implemented a Zone parse Function?

Thanks,

Ricardo
    It displays what the actual keypads display, which includes the current zone status or alarm condition. It goes automatically goes to text field on the supplied panel. I never tried to parse anything, but I suppose you would if you wanted to break out more than what the keypad shows.
  • DHawthorne,

Thanks for replying to my tread. One more question: Which Ademco Module version are you using? Duet? v1.0.8?

Thanks again,

Ricardo
    DHawthorne,

Thanks for replying to my tread. One more question: Which Ademco Module version are you using? Duet? v1.0.8?

Thanks again,

Ricardo

No, the last I used this was the most recent non-Duet version at the time ... I don't think the Duet one was out back then (was about 3 years ago).
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I was just looking at the UI module for the Ademco Duet module and it does NOT update the status of the zones as it is written. It is easily added to the parsing routine within the COMMAND: event of the vdvPRTNS. You need to handle the SECPOINTSTATUS- messages and parse them accordingly. The manual gives the necessary details regarding format of the message. If the security panel is properly configured, these messages should happen without polling. In fact, polling the security panel directly can cause problems.

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I was just looking at the UI module for the Ademco Duet module and it does NOT update the status of the zones as it is written. It is easily added to the parsing routine within the COMMAND: event of the vdvPRTNS. You need to handle the SECPOINTSTATUS- messages and parse them accordingly. The manual gives the necessary details regarding format of the message. If the security panel is properly configured, these messages should happen without polling. In fact, polling the security panel directly can cause problems.

Jeff

I may be crossing my wires a bit on my memory, but I think this was one of the problems with the Vista panel in the first place. The thing does not volunteer feedback. And polling was a problem. I also seem to remember a problem with the fact that the panel will accept a simple password but exteranl control systems required the user ID prepended on the security code. This was a problem in our installations where multiple secucrity user/codes were required. The client had to remember the two ways of arming/disarming depending upon which thing they were in front. Not good in an emergecy.

We were pretty happy (despite its foibles) with the Destiny 6100 and were quite suprised when they ditched it for the Vista. We now use a completely differet company alogether.
    You might have been dealing with the v1 protocol. There is a new v2 protocol that has been out for a couple years now and it is much better. You do not have to poll for zone status changes, altho they can be delayed by about 1-3 seconds occasionally. As for the arming/disarming, we force our clients to use an alarm keypad. In a real emergency, I would hate to accidentally hit the wrong device, or have a network problem. The other issue, as I recall it, is that there still is no access to the panic buttons through the code.

Jeff
    Ok, I know there are a few threads regarding this panel, but this is the first I got to. Here is the definitive connection/programming guide to getting a 128BP or a 250BP panel to work. They are wired different from the 128FBP and the 250FBP. If you try to hook things up like the FBP, you will not be happy.

This applies to version 1 through version 3 of the BP panels (there is a new 128BPe and 250BPe version that implements the enhanced protocol that was just released and should be connected like an FBP).

Connecting the 4100SM:
    Brown wire from J8 connector goes to #6 on the 4100SM
    Zone 9 (connector 23) on the security panel goes to #3 on the 4100SM
    #7 and #8 on the 4100SM get power from the security panel.

These are the programming fields and values that need to be set:

Set Zone #9 to type 00. (This might not be absolutely required, but in my 5 hours of troubleshooting with Honeywell ... most of it on hold... this was one thing they wanted done)

*05 - 1
    *14 - 1
    1*70 - 11111
    1*69 - 0
    1*71 - 1
    1*72 - 0
    1*73 - 0
    2*30 - 0

That should have the security panel ready to talk to the AMX processor. Now comes the AMX side. I am using version 1.0.10 of the duet module. To communicate with the BP panels, you HAVE to set the PROPERTY-Extended_Protocol,false and then REINIT. If you do not do this, the module will NOT initialize. If you monitor communications, you will see data flying back and forth between the processor and the panel, but you will not get updates until the module initializes and it will not send out the correct initialization string until you set the property correctly.

I hope this helps out someone else integrating these panels.

Jeff
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Jeff,

First of all, thank you so much for your last post above - definitely extremely valuable especially it's my first time with an Ademco 128BP.
    Using the module v 1.0.10 I applied everything you mentioned but I still have some issues.

Basically I can Arm and Disarm, but I'm not getting most of the valuable feedback:

- channels 51 and 52 (online and initialized) stay at 0 - even though the alarm is responding to arm or disarm.
    - ?SECSTATE and ?SECSTATUS keep returning INVALID...
    - I am not getting any automatic feedback mentioned in the doc of the module

Did you experience any of this or is all working for your system?
    Pep_SD wrote: »
    Jeff,

First of all, thank you so much for your last post above - definitely extremely valuable especially it's my first time with an Ademco 128BP.
    Using the module v 1.0.10 I applied everything you mentioned but I still have some issues.

Basically I can Arm and Disarm, but I'm not getting most of the valuable feedback:

- channels 51 and 52 (online and initialized) stay at 0 - even though the alarm is responding to arm or disarm.
    I think you mean channels 251 and 252, unless I am recalling incorrectly.
    Pep_SD wrote: »
    - ?SECSTATE and ?SECSTATUS keep returning INVALID...
    - I am not getting any automatic feedback mentioned in the doc of the module

Did you experience any of this or is all working for your system?

This is all working for me. Have the security people verify that the security panel settings are like I listed. Also, make sure you are NOT using a pre-made cable. Use a cable with ONLY pins 2,3 and 5 connected to the AMX side. If you are still having problems, see if the security people will tell you what version of firmware the security panel is running.

Jeff
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Another one solved...

Well, another one solved by one of the valuable members of this forum.
    [size=+1]Thank you Jeff!![/size]

I had everything else setup correctly.
    The problem was the serial cable - I used the one provided by Ademco... which obviously does not work with the RS232 (probably only for the Printer option).

So the answer is confirmed: for the serial cable, only use pins 2,3,5 to the NI port.

Add this to the checklist...

Note: and yes, I meant channels 251 and 252. Thanks for correcting this.

Paul-Eric
    Glad I could help.

Jeff