Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

infoComm09

Anyone going to be attending this year? If so, any plans for a meeting of the minds at some point?

Jeff

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I was but had to back out at the last minute due to family obligations =(
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I intend to go. I have missed it for the last few years due to work conflicts.
  • dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    I'll be there.

--D
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Yet another expo that I'll not go to . . . it's funny - I mustn't be important enough to go to these things. 5 years in the industry - never been to one.

Tell me how it is!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Those shows are largely geared towards sales, which is something I just about never do (one reason I'm not an independent, I've never been very good at sales). So I usually pass on the trade shows.
  • staticatticstaticattic Posts: 200
    As of today, 6 May, I am still going.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Those shows are largely geared towards sales, which is something I just about never do (one reason I'm not an independent, I've never been very good at sales). So I usually pass on the trade shows.

There are many technically knowledgeable people at InfoComm. You just need to get past the suits and breasts that greet you at the booth entrances.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    DHawthorne wrote: »

In my experience, the show is what you make of it. I have not been to infoComm, but I have been to the last 5 CEDIA shows. It has been my experience that most of the companies have at least one employee from the tech and/or engineering department at the show. Having a face to face conversation with these people has solved some problems in the past and more importantly, I have gotten direct contact numbers and put a face to my name (which can be beneficial).

I don't really deal with sales myself, but I also use the shows to research other products that we are not currently dealing with. If there is a product I don't like integrating, I will try to find a replacement that I can suggest. If there are occasional requests for certain functionality, I keep it in the back of my head and occasionally I stumble across a product that will allow us to accomplish the request (Common requests are more actively sought out). I also have a chance to look at the product before I recommend it so I can verify the existence of a serial port or talk with an engineer to find out if there is a serial protocol document available and how I can get it.

I used to just go to the shows and wander around without much direction and I usually didn't accomplish much. Now I go with the plan of meeting with the engineers of the main companies I deal with and as I am walking between booths, I check out anything that grabs my attention. I find it to be very beneficial for me, but I understand that others have a whole different view of trade shows (basically get free drinks and food from reps, then hit the bars and stay out late, then wander the show looking for passes to another party to repeat the whole experience :) )

Jeff
    and breasts that greet you at the booth entrances.

*cough* SpeakerCraft *cough* Cuddlebags *cough* GuiFX *cough* AVAD *cough* (At CEDIA)

Sorry, something in my throat :)
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    I'll be there - just made up my mind to go.

Sounds like it is going to be a smaller crowd this year than last.

I've always found Infocomm to be very good for getting to technical people at the companies that I need to talk to. Infocomm started for vendors to push stuff out to dealers, and there are still a bunch of comapnies that bring their tech staff out to answer questions.
  • filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    I'll be making the 1,836 Kilometer trip to my first Infocomm.

Looking forward to it really.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I'm making the trek down there, and it's going to be my first time at Infocomm as well... now if was only in Vegas...
    Not me this year. Work conflict and building a new house. Hopefully next year, especially if it's in Vegas.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Any word yet as to new stuff from AMX? Pictures anyone?
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    No Press Releases from AMX?

Oh well, no hurry eh?

looking at the Craptron press releases there's nothing that exciting new there either. DigitalMedia's not news is it? That's a serious question, I'm sure we saw it last year or am I wrong. On the remote front, "How many Craptron Engineers does it take to develop a remote?" "Not many to be honest..."
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I'll be leaving for Infocomm any minute now.
    I'll post my findings.
  • Take a closer look at AMX.com

Introducing Enova
    http://www.amx.com/enova/sophisticatedEnvironments.asp

Introducing HydraPort
    http://www.amx.com/enova/sophisticatedEnvironments.asp#hydraPort

More to come...
  • Uh Oh. Someone else is jumping in the game.

http://www.extron.com/product/prodtype35.aspx

They have always had those "keypads" with the clicking buttons that looked like they were from a 1970's remote control.
    There is one VERY COOL product. I think its the NXV-300, but don't quote me on the part number. It is a little black box that adds a web based touch panel that is designed in TPD4. This allows you to use a computer or smart phone to access the AMX system like a touch panel. The display sample is a little light on content, and it isn't being heavily promoted, but if it is half of what they said it is, my company will be adding them to a bunch of jobs. I think retail is around $800-1000, but I did not get confirmation. Also, they are supposed to support 3 simultaneous connections. I'm not sure if they all get the same page, or the each get their own interface, but still very viable.

Jeff
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    Yes I do think that the neatest new product from AMX is the NXV-300, but I really have to look at the Endova more - I just spent the smallest amount of time at the AMX booth today and will look at it more in depth tomorrow. Basically the NXV-300 is what they are touting as a "virtual touch panel" - essentially the equivalent to C's x-panel. Yes I admit that it was a product that was badly needed, but what we still have is a box (hardware) that you have to install and this box costs just under $1000. Compare that to an x-panel that is free and I still see AMX coming up short in the ultra-competitive bids for very simple rooms.

For installers - check out the HydraPort - pretty cool way of doing connections at a tabletop.

At first glance the Enova seems like a "MPS killer" - a bundled controller/switcher solution in one that AMX has been lacking. Need to talk with AMX more to get details and pricing info, but looks good from what I've seen so far.

Report here if anyone sees anything else new and interesting at Infocomm - AMX or not....I'd like to know what others have seen.
    double-post........ignore this one
    The product that I think is the homerun is the DVX-2100HD.
    It's a 2100 with mic in, Component,Composte,DVI,RGB, 2x25w spkr out, and scaled video.
    I see a lot of these going into boardrooms.
    The NXV-300 is great too. It is a product that was needed years ago. I to was surpised that it only did 2 resolutions.
    The rotated 4" is cool but not life changing for me.
    The Hydraport is cool but it's just a fancy port thing for tables. It's cool.
    The show is light on traffic. I guess everyone is cutting back.

I'm off to have a beer and rest my feet.

Kenny
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    patb wrote: »
    .... we still have is a box (hardware) that you have to install and this box costs just under $1000. Compare that to an x-panel that is free and I still see AMX coming up short in the ultra-competitive bids for very simple rooms.

I cannot believe that with todays technology, AMX was not able to create a virtual control without more costly hardware.

I did not attend the show this year, but it doesnt look like I missed much.

The future of AMX concerns me. If you look at their 2 major releases, one of them was not
    even an electronic device, it is a connectivity solution for furniture. What's up with that??
    This is from a pioneer in the control system industry? Either there are no good ideas, or there is
    nothing left to develop.

Extron will make a killing with their new control products. That's just the way it is.

My clients are always looking for a cost-effective solution to the 2 major systems.
    Now it is going to be even harder to convince them otherwise.

My company pushes AMX control systems very hard. We try to support the vendors
    that support us. Since the first of the year, AMX support has drastically dropped.
    Some of the other dealers out there know the reasons why. I won’t go into specifics.

This industry has really changed over the years.
    Not sure that I am concerned about the future of AMX but I am concerned about Extron.
    I stopped by the Exton booth and a lot dealers were looking at their new touchpanels. For their first tps they were pretty nice, not G4 nice but nice enough for the educational market. Plus they are dead simple to program. Did anyone see the demo? They had a feature in the TP design software that allowed you to change border depth and shading much like Photoshop. :)
    One of the Extron guys said they were creeping into the AMX/C-Tron world since AMX/C-tron was creeping into theirs. hmm.
    That kind of competition can only be good. AMX and Extron have always, in my opinion, been a bit overpriced, and maybe this will bring it down some now they have directly comparable products.
    I welcome competition. I am not married to AMX. I am married to being able to build a custom control system that can do anything that I want it to in any way that I want it to.
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    I was terribly underwhelmed by the Extron Touchpanels. While they showed how easy it was to edit a button, they never added a button or added functions not in the initial template. Now they are good about writting drivers for gear - but they have to write the drivers. Nothing on the fly.

The presenter kind a peaved me as they were insinuating that "Programmers Bad Evil people that cost you too much".

While I think that Extron will do it better than some, I can't wait to start getting projects tearing out Extron TOuchpanels and replacing them with AMX cause "the systems never worked".
    JohnMichnr wrote: »
    I was terribly underwhelmed by the Extron Touchpanels. While they showed how easy it was to edit a button, they never added a button or added functions not in the initial template. Now they are good about writting drivers for gear - but they have to write the drivers. Nothing on the fly.

The presenter kind a peaved me as they were insinuating that "Programmers Bad Evil people that cost you too much".

While I think that Extron will do it better than some, I can't wait to start getting projects tearing out Extron Touchpanels and replacing them with AMX cause "the systems never worked".

I agree with John about his Extron experience. I liked some of the editing features of the touch panels that I hope AMX can see and pick up on - the button editor was a cool feature. But the overall tone was ...."Programmers BAD - stay away from programmers". I did NOT like it when they were asked about items that were not in their database and how to handle that since according to them - "no programming was needed". Simple so says Extron - just ask them to write a driver for the device and "poof" - problem solved. Yeah right....when we're sitting out on a jobsite trying to get some piece of equipment to work at 9pm or over weekend and we HAVE to get it done by the next day who's going to help us then? I think the extron solution is a nice idea and might work in SOME isolated instances, but I don't see it taking the industry by storm anytime soon.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    patb wrote: »
    ."Programmers BAD - stay away from programmers".

I have never followed that philosophy. Why are programmers bad but not installers, managers, vendors etc? If I was somewhere and heard that I think I would ask for an explanation.
    Paul
    That's the problem with all drag-and-drop programming ... it doesn't keep up with the cutting edge of technology. I just had to whip up a quick RTI remote, and it turned out to be nothing like quick because two main devices (receiver and projector) weren't in their database. Good for them, they allow me to modify the database myself, but it's an annoying process for RS232 devices. If I had to rely on the manufacturer keeping the database current, I wouldn't be able to do half my jobs ... it's one of the things we specialize in, having the very latest equipment. When the whole sale depends on "I want this thing that just came out yesterday," you can't be mucking around with, "we'll integrate it in our environment in a few months."